Seagate Cuts Current-Quarter Revenue Estimate

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Seagate, one of the world’s leading providers for hard drives and storage solutions, has followed Western Digital in announcing lower revenue estimates for the quarter. Both companies cited weaker than expected demand for hard disk drives.

Western Digital and Seagate command over 90 percent of the hard disk drive (HDD) market.

Probably because they both started charging 70% more for each drive...for little/no reason other than greed. Good it hasn't paid off.

It's weaker because they won't drop the God damned prices down to where they were.

It's weaker because they won't drop the God damned prices down to where they were.

Truth. All the while SSD demand increased, their prices fell and people have abandoned mechanical drives now that they've had a taste of the speed. The average person isnt building a storage server and their "old" spinner is good enough for bulk data. All the old major mechanical drive guys need to get relevant in the SSD market before they lose their asses. It's like Polaroid and digital film all over again.

i dont think lowering prices will solve their problems. the prices should be lower, yes. before the floods prices were stupid low and everyone stocked up on hard drives. for most people, the 2-10TB they bought back then has been plenty through now and will continue to be for a while. sales might go up a little if they drop prices back down, but not to the levels they were before, and revenues will probably not change much at all. there will always be a place for spindle drives, but i think it's not going to be in the average consumer market.

i dont think lowering prices will solve their problems. the prices should be lower, yes. before the floods prices were stupid low and everyone stocked up on hard drives. for most people, the 2-10TB they bought back then has been plenty through now and will continue to be for a while. sales might go up a little if they drop prices back down, but not to the levels they were before, and revenues will probably not change much at all. there will always be a place for spindle drives, but i think it's not going to be in the average consumer market.

So people have been doing less file sharing lately? :p

the whole pc industry is weaker. it's not the hdd prices.

i hope those who invested in seagate stock in the recent months cashed out already.
you could buy petabytes with that profit.

Don't know about you all, but after the 4th Seagate drive died on me, I couldn't care less about Seagate...

Probably because they both started charging 70% more for each drive...for little/no reason other than greed. Good it hasn't paid off.
It pisses me off how much they charge per drive now. I haven't gotten any drives because of it.

As I speak I found an old 500Gb Western Digital drive I let collect dust cause it went bad on me and I'm trying to resurrect it. Over a year ago I would have just bought another drive, but these suckers are expensive.

I found a trick that these circuit boards my have dirty electrical contacts, but not to sata connector or power. If you remove the circuit board you will see contacts at the bottom. One set for the actuator, and another for data. In every drive I've seen, they're black and burnt looking. Using a little metal polish I was able to make them look like shinny gold or silver. BTW FLITZ is the best.

I've done this to at least 5 drives with no problems. Had an old Maxtor 120Gb that was used for Linux testing, and that was getting hot to the touch and was failing. It wasn't after trying this trick. The 500Gb I mentioned is having a quick test done with Western Digital's software, and once that's done I'll have 0's written to it and then install Windows to see if there's any problems.

Until the prices really drop I won't be looking into buying new drives. I'll deal with deleting junk or if I need a drive it'll be a SSD.

I would have thought it was because Seagate suck, even their business end workstations are getting crap HDD's that fail after a year of doing nothing (seriously we had a workstation, where the users didn't even know they had a storage drive, it was having a SMART failure after a year). I don't care how great their server end products are, if your public consumer has a bad view of your commercial products, why would they buy your high end business/server components?

When I say their workstations, I'm referring to HP in particular, I don't know if Dell uses them, but if I had my choice it would be Western Digital, original Hitachi, or Samsung stock hard drives, before Seagate got hold of them.

I deleted a lot of old files on my network storage drive to to give it a little more life. I bought a Western Digital 2 T for my HTPC. Why would I buy a Seagate with a one year warranty instead of WD with three years?

Probably due to the cost of all the warranty claims, even with the limited 1 year warranty.

Prices are still too high, but at least they have finally started to come down. Needed another 2TB drive for my HTPC, and it was still almost 60% more than I paid 2 years ago.

I'm wondering why the prices are still so damn high. I wouldn't mind another 2tb; since one of mine failed about a month ago, but I looked at what they're asking and just decided to par down my data usage, by getting rid of stuff I'm not likely to need anytime soon, instead of paying an arm and a leg for another.

Back