Seagate Backup Plus 5TB $160 at Best Buy

Wow that beats the pants off the $300 price on the 6TB @ newegg and amazon

are the 5TB the old helium filled kind or the new normal ones?

Let's see, six drives in raid6 would be 20TB I think.

So do I actually have to go to the store to get that price because instore pick up is $199.

Yes, they haven't updated their store pricing yet. You can call and have them confirm the price.

If you guys would prefer a toshiba 5TB, zon has it for $199

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are using high density seagate drives without raid, you are going to have a bad time.

I would say if you are using any storage technology without a backup and you care about your data you like to gamble with the safety of your data. RAID does not remove the need for a backup.

I bought this for travel and I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea. The weight is okay, but I have no idea why the enclosure's corners are so damn sharp. Seems like it could tear up a bag's insides.

holy crap -- they have 6TB drives out now?

I haven't paid attention to the storage game in a while it seems. Not that I need any space (12TB or so right now) but that's cool to know 6's are out.

I think I still have a 1TB drive in my main rig I need to replace.

I bought this for travel and I'm starting to think it was a terrible idea. The weight is okay, but I have no idea why the enclosure's corners are so damn sharp. Seems like it could tear up a bag's insides.
Make a duck-tape + foam sleeve for it. Smart anyway, then just pull it out when in use. Should protect it from bumps/impacts and the duck tape is waterproof.

duct tape

D-U-C-T
Don't get me started, my choice of duck-tape rather than duct-tape is intentional. The cliffs notes version is that originally the tape was created for the military as a waterproof tape. Because it could seal ammo cans and other such uses and repelled water like water off a ducks back, it was called duck tape by the troops during the war.

It was so popular that after the war, people still enjoyed using it, but because of licensing reasons no manufacturer other than "Duck" brand tape was able to call it duck tape. At the time, many civilians had also adopted it for use in sealing duct work, and so all generic forms of duct tape, which were often gray to match duct work started being sold as "duct" tape since it sounded the same and was legal.

However, in a matter of years, it quickly became apparent that duck tape was not useful for duct work, as under high heat dry conditions the tape tended to disintegrate. It is in fact now ILLEGAL and against code to use duck tape for sealing ducts, thus it has ZERO duct application and it hasn't had a duct application most likely since you were born.

So the term duck tape is both original and more correct than the misnomer of duct tape which is not only a bastardization of the original term but completely inappropriate since it should never be used in duct work.

Here's a government test that shows that virtually any tape BUT "duck tape/duct tape" can be used for sealing ducts. Duck tape is the only kind of tape that failed rather quickly and extremely: http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/duct-tape-HVAC.html

So if we continue to call it duct tape, it will cause some people naturally to try and use it for that purpose. We must fight the insanity! *rabblerabblerabble*

Back