Seagate Archive drives

JackTFECow

n00b
I was considering picking up a few of the 8tb drives last week when they were 235 each. I wanted to use one in my machine to store all the video and backups, and run one externally once a month to run a backup of that drive. Reviews are minimal so far and it looks like most of the complaints are about screw holes and DOA units. DOA happens to all manufacturers. Such is life. The screw holes don't phase me.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them, and if this would be a good reccomendation. On paper its a ton of cheap storage in one small package. I have had very mixed luck in the past with Seagate drives ranging from 2 out of 4 drives ordered going bad in a month to 3 drives being hammered daily for 4 years and still kicking. I decided to tackle future HD purchases on an individual part basis :D

Thoughts? Sage wisdom? Run for the hills?

I say its too early to tell how long these will last for their intended purpose (as a device used for backups). I really wish Black Blaze would buy several thousand of these for their storage pods..

These are write and forget drives, you must make as few changes on them as possible, as when rewriting occurs, performance is bad.

I was considering picking up a few of the 8tb drives last week when they were 235 each. I wanted to use one in my machine to store all the video and backups, and run one externally once a month to run a backup of that drive. Reviews are minimal so far and it looks like most of the complaints are about screw holes and DOA units. DOA happens to all manufacturers. Such is life. The screw holes don't phase me.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them, and if this would be a good reccomendation. On paper its a ton of cheap storage in one small package. I have had very mixed luck in the past with Seagate drives ranging from 2 out of 4 drives ordered going bad in a month to 3 drives being hammered daily for 4 years and still kicking. I decided to tackle future HD purchases on an individual part basis :D

Thoughts? Sage wisdom? Run for the hills?

Dude, ignore most of these responses. I now am running 8 since they were first released. I have them in one large drive pool. They work well, the write speed can be a bit slow, but it is not going to cause you issues, nor will you go grey waiting. All one big exaggeration. They are great large drives and they work as designed without problems.

Grab some. You will love them too.

I have 2 of these and am very happy with them. I have had only 3 small files that were slow writers out of hundreds of vid files written on them. In many cases these are files have been rewritten over deleted vid files with absolutely no reduction in write speeds. Playback on BR vids work perfect even at the end of the drive. I use Win 7 Pro. The only thing that can not be known yet is the durability of these new type of drives.

Back