Seagate 8TB (eight) HD $234 @ NCIX

Looks like HDD manufacturers are getting pretty desperate to compete with 3D NAND SSDs.

Isn't 3D nand incredibly slow on writes?

oh wait, nevermind, I am thinking of another tech

apparently 3d nand is in the 850 EVO which has been shipping

even if it was incredibly slow that would be by SSD standards.
These 8TB drives on the other hand have very poor write speeds by HDD standards.

Unfortunately it's Seagate. I might give one a try if it was < $150, but I just don't trust any seagate drive 2GB or larger. I think out of all I own only one is left that doesn't have some kind of issue and all just about failed after the warranty expired.

reason why I will still buy HDDs is for security. Crypto erase, magnets/deguassers, and other methods of making sure your data is secure/gone.

I have even debated on putting a barrier where if the HDDs leave through my door they are wiped via intense deguasses or magnets so you either have to transport them out via flash data or a special cage or remove my barrier.

I am paranoid :)

So yes lets keep those prices down down down.

I'd have to drop $2k on these to properly redo my backup server, perhaps if these are around that price-range come tax return season?

Anything special I should keep in mind for the 8TB archive drives in ZFS?

I'd have to drop $2k on these to properly redo my backup server, perhaps if these are around that price-range come tax return season?

Anything special I should keep in mind for the 8TB archive drives in ZFS?

from what i have read keep a very high level of parity drives because of URE

reason why I will still buy HDDs is for security. Crypto erase, magnets/deguassers, and other methods of making sure your data is secure/gone.

I have even debated on putting a barrier where if the HDDs leave through my door they are wiped via intense deguasses or magnets so you either have to transport them out via flash data or a special cage or remove my barrier.

it's way easier to secure erase an SSD than a standard hard drive

Nah, I'll take a WDC 6TB Black with a 5 year warranty over 2 more GB and 2 year warranty.

I have 2 of the 8tb seagate drives and once you turn apm crap off they are not terrible drives. Not a bad price at all.

Ehh, I can't get myself to buy seagate. 8TB crazy though! Can't wait to see what's out there in another 5-10 years!

Oh I wonder if these are HAMR drives (heat assisted writing) which would explain slow write times.

ya'll aint good readers are you? it's an archive, backup only drive. it's write speed is abysmal, truly wretched.

it's shingled magnetic recording. each sector (ring) of the drive overlaps the sectors before it. so when you write, there's a colossal amplification factor (commonly an SSD term referring to their inability to write <4k) that means re-jiggering a bunch of other shit too.

these are only good for bulk media backup. like the title of the page says. you will probably be ok streaming from it, but you wouldn't want to load games off this drive.

I have 7 of these drives. They work well and I have no issues with them. It is true that write speeds are a bit slow, but who cares? Start the write process and do other stuff. No big deal. I am very very happy with them,

Ahh, you saw that episode of Law and Order SVU too, huh? :)

Back