Seagate 7200.11's in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool! I haven't seen any yet, but I'm looking forward to getting one!

buy.com had the 1TB in stock for a few days.

Do a search on google products for "7200.11" most places have the 1TB listed already as coming soon, or OOS.

That looks like a drive I might be interested in getting a few of these :D

Specifications
Capacity 1 TB, 750 GB, 500 GB
Interface SATA 3Gb/s NCQ, SATA 1.5Gb/s NCQ
Cache (MB) 32, 16* (500 GB, 750 GB only)
Spindle Speed (RPM) 7200
Shock, Operating: 2 ms (Gs) 63
Shock, Nonoperating: 1 ms (Gs) 300
Acoustics, Idle (bels) 2.7 (1 TB and 750 GB)
2.5 (500 GB)
Acoustics, Seek (bels) 2.9 (1 TB and 750 GB)
2.8 (500 GB)
Operating Temperature (°C) 0 to 60
MTBF (hours) 750,000
Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) 0.34%
*Not available through distribution

Does that mean the 32 MB cache version will be going through etailers, and the 16 MB version will go to system builders?

Im pretty sure the 32mb is for the 1TB drives only but I could be very wrong
either way I will be looking inot the 1TB drives soon

are there any review for this model ? what is the main difference with the 7200.10? only bigger cache you think ?

I'd like to see some reviews of the .11 compared to the Latest Samsung Spinpoint.

Curious about noise and heat of .11 drives.

I hope they are at par, if not better than Samsungs.

Im holding off on a new drive, till the reviews pour in, its either the 500Gb WD SE16 or this...any idea when?

Guess I picked a perfect time to get some new drives!

needs reviews asap!

newegg has the 1TB in stock for 334.99 and free shipping

i'm still curious how this will compare to the samsung F1...

I don't see the fuss over all these Seagate drives. I've bought like half a dozen over the year and not impressed. They run noisier and hotter than every other WD drive I have ever had. They don't seem like they are faster either. Seems pretty much the same speed as my WD's. I'm more interested in trying Samsung drives to see how quiet and fast they are.

Back in the days the 7200.7 series of hard drives, seagates were the quietest of the bunch compared to maxtor, WD, and IBM. IBM was a distant second and Maxtor, and WD were just plain noisy. As far as heat wise, seagates have always been a bit warmer than their competition. Lately, they are just using their reputation as a good drive maker coupled with a 5 year warranty that other manufacturers don't seem to be willing to match to entice people to buy their hard drives.

From the latest drives, I think WD emits a very high pitched whine. If you can't hear it, then it will be quieter than the seagates which comparatively have a lower rumbling sound signature to them. I think it will be up to personal preferences as to which sound is more annoying.

I got the 7200.11 1TB drive from Newegg. When I scan it with HD Tune, the program reports that the drive has zero buffer cache when it should say 32MB. I've tried other programs that report the cache size and they give the same result: zero. I don't know if there's a bug in the programs or in the drive firmware that's causing this. Has anyone else got this drive yet? If you do, can you check the info tab in HD Tune and see if your drive is also report it has zero buffer?

Performance is really very good. The drive does seem to read at a sustained 100MB/sec - at least over parts of the platter - and the average transfer rate is higher than the Hitach 1TB (at least under my very limited personal testing, I'm no expert). I actually uploaded some screenshots of tests I ran with the ES.2 version of the 1TB drive under HD Tune and HD Tach. Ignore the low burst speed figures in those screenshots, I've since gotten the drive to burst around 250, which is more in line with what you'd expect with an SATA2 drive.

http://www.divshare.com/download/2026263-703

http://www.divshare.com/image/2026350-442

http://www.divshare.com/image/2026352-71c

However, I have to say the initial quality control on these drives seems abysmal. The first two ES.2 drives I got from Newegg both had SMART errors out of the box - which Seagate's Seatools didn't report, I had to use ActiveSMART to see them! - and now this 7200.11 drive I got also seems funky. Not exactly the best first impression.

However, I have to say the initial quality control on these drives seems abysmal. The first two ES.2 drives I got from Newegg both had SMART errors out of the box - which Seagate's Seatools didn't report, I had to use ActiveSMART to see them! - and now this 7200.11 drive I got also seems funky. Not exactly the best first impression.

Some SMART fields Seagate uses for proprietary reporting purposes. I'd check with Seagate support before doing a Newegg RMA.

I already RMA'ed the drives and the replacement drive didn't suffer from the SMART attribute failure that they had. Also, another owner of the 7200.11 drive has confirmed to me that his drive also reports under HD Tune that it has zero buffer so at least I know it's not my one drive. I am pretty sure that the ES.2 drives were reporting their cache size correctly so I don't know why the 7200.11 does not; they're virtually the same. I know their firmwares are slightly different but you would think any performance adjustments made to the firmware would not affect something as simple and mundane as correctly reporting the size of the cache.

FWIW my 7200.11 (500GB) does not report the cache correctly either. I assume this is a reporting issue and does not affect performance?

When running in SATA I mode, would these numbers be what is expected in HD Tune?
Transfer rate min: 50.6MB/sec
Transfer rate max: 98.6 MB/sec
Average 81.3MB/sec
Access Time 12.6ms
Burst 107.9MB/sec
CPU useage 2.7%
It is running at UDMA 5.

Quite a bit better than my other 7200.9. I was trying to take a look at those other results but the link would not work. And if they were running SATA II, probably not comparable.

Are there any "drive" settings (I seem to recall "performance vs. acoustics") or some such? I took a look at the Seagate utility and it it only seemed to test the drive.

It will eventually be running in SATA II mode but that will be another upgrade.

BJB

The transfer rate max seems about right. I've seen reports of 105MB from several. Not too far off though.

I talked to Seagate and they said they have no way of knowing where their drives were manufactured. So it's luck of the draw whether you get a China or Singapore one. Hearing about the newegg RMA makes me want to stay away from the newegg ones.

I talked to Seagate and they said they have no way of knowing where their drives were manufactured. So it's luck of the draw whether you get a China or Singapore one. Hearing about the newegg RMA makes me want to stay away from the newegg ones.
Not to mention the way they ship them things. I've had more fail from NewEgg with their packaging than any other. I buy elsewhere now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back