Seagate 640GB 32MB Deactivated on Egg

skifreak

n00b
The ST3640323AS drive has been deactivated on Newegg, also noticed its not listed ZZF either. I am out of the 30 day RMA return window so I cant return it. Just curious if Seagate is replacing this drive with an updated one ? Mine is acting funny and hoping they will recall this HD and send free replacements thats not refurbished.

You'll most likely get a refurb, however it still has the remainder of the 5 year warranty that the new one did.

Well, if you don't trust it, when you get the refurb one in just sell it on Ebay. Beats having to swap it out again in a year.

Don

Well, if you don't trust it, when you get the refurb one in just sell it on Ebay. Beats having to swap it out again in a year.

Don
Except that results in you losing money overall since you would have to then purchase a new drive, which is going to cost more than the amount you get from selling the refurb.

Oh

Just 2 days ago I ordered 2 of 'em....what should I do? Reviews seem pretty darn good...

Should I return 'em for Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB?

I plan on running Raid0

Please give me some feedback...should i keep the Seagates that have been discontinued or return them for the Western Digital ones?

Except that results in you losing money overall since you would have to then purchase a new drive, which is going to cost more than the amount you get from selling the refurb.

Seems a fair tradeoff to me.

I never said he was going to make money on the deal. Just get a drive he can trust more.

Don

The only reason to buy new over refurb is for the warranty. The drives themselves aren't going to be any worse.

I've had brand new drives be dead, had drives die in a month, and have had drives last 10years (still going).

It's really hard to say... I've had refurbs running for a while too, honestly... I only buy new for the warranty, not because they're "better" than refurbs, because that's not always true.

The only reason to buy new over refurb is for the warranty. The drives themselves aren't going to be any worse.

I've had brand new drives be dead, had drives die in a month, and have had drives last 10years (still going).

It's really hard to say... I've had refurbs running for a while too, honestly... I only buy new for the warranty, not because they're "better" than refurbs, because that's not always true.

Many drives that get returned have intermittant failures. If a drive ran for 6 months before it glitched, how is the OEM's testing going to find a problem like that. It won't. They will test it for a couple of days, slap a refurb sticker on it, and swap it again for you in 6 months when it hiccups again, assuming you bother to go through the hassle of returning it again.

I am not saying all refurb parts are bad. Only that you are more likely to get a questionable refurb part as opposed to a new part.

Why do you think that refurb parts that are sold at sites like WOOT have a much shorter warranty than NEW parts? Also the warranty is usually done through a 3rd party, not the OEM. That is how much THEY trust their own repair process.

Hey, it's your data.

Don

Back