Seagate 5TB External Drive USB 3.0 $129 thru 08/26

They charge taxes in the states where they've got stores and/or warehouses I think: Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, and Puerto Rico...

Actually in PR it's only if you use TigerDirect.pr which has gotta be some kinda massive loophole (I've used the standard Tiger.com, no tax). They seem to have the same stock (only the .pr site lists local store stock).

No problems so far with my Backup Plus, but I can't prevent the fucking thing from spinning down unless I use their horrible Dashboard software.

Fuck that...do not buy Shitgate drives. Just lost a 3tb drive filled with Steam games.

what model was that 3TB?

Seagate drives have gotten a lot better since the 1TB fiasco and their 7200.9 and 7200.10 series firmware screw up. (and no, don't go linking the backblaze stats crap cause if Seagate sucked so much why do they keep buying their drives)

(and no, don't go linking the backblaze stats crap cause if Seagate sucked so much why do they keep buying their drives)

There's a huge difference between a consumer and a company. Companies can absorb much more operating cost. They used their own statistics (keep in mind that what they give us is literally the tip of the iceberg) and have probably got the failure rates vs cost calculated out extremely reliably and accurately. Seagate is still the cheapest, so using a simple probabilistic decision tree, they can make optimal buying decisions at any point in time; sometimes that is Seagate. Long story short, they buy them because some their drives are expected to fail. They have redundancy in place, and it's simply an accepted operating cost. They calculate out the expected risk and cost of a drive and then weigh them against each other.

To a consumer that is very much not the case; to us, a drive failing is not simply an expected operating cost. Thus they give us an extremely simplified overview of what brands are doing well.

That being said I have looked at their numbers before and found them wanting. So some skepticism isn't entirely misplaced. I want more detail...

I don't think Seagate it a bad company however the last year of drives they have made are crud a 25% failure rate horrible.
I am sure they will fix the issue and maybe there new drives are great I just don't want to be the one who tests them.
I have seen many companies go up and down as the best and worst in 30 years of this industry.
HGST is on top right now but recently made some major changes to the deskstar line which is now the NAS line and the Ultrastar is the new Deskstar and the prices are very high for the ultrastars.
So they may not stay on top for long who knows.
I will wait and see for hard drives I just bought some crucial SSD's to spice on my old system and time will tell who the new king of drives will be for the next year.

Seagate return policy is the worst in the business. Fucking bastards threaten to deny the warranty if it isn't packed precisely as they require. It's a defective drive so what the fuck does it matter. Stick with WD, no bullshit when you RMA a drive. They even sell you a return label cheaper than you can buy it.

Well, statistically Seagates have a higher failure rate than other drives.

Reviews on this drive aren't great and a 1-year warranty doesn't exactly give a person confidence, but a link to some statistics would go a long way to proving your point.

BackBlaze continues to buy them because by the time the statistics were in hand concerning the problematic Seagate models, they had already moved on to newer Seagate models that haven't been unreliable. Also, they run on the cheap, shucking retail external drives that may or may not be designed for 24x7 operation in a high vibration environment.

Well, statistically Seagates have a higher failure rate than other drives.

WHO'S statistics? Backblaze? They've been debunked a million times over.

There is a legit reason to stay away from anything bigger than Seagate 4TB's however: SMR is really annoying. This 5TB is actually 4 platters / 1.33TB per platter.

Seagate doesn't make the fact apparent in any of their product materials, but I had 4 of these drives and when copying files to them, the server would just appear to freeze for 30 seconds and the HDD light was solid while SMR was catching up, really fucking annoying. First I thought it was a bad drive but then realized they all did it.

Sold em and bought 5TB Toshiba's for the same price from Microcenter and haven't looked back

Back