Seagate 4TB Internal $150

Amazon dropped the price over the weekend to cut into Newegg's sales, I believe. I snagged one and said "Hell YEAH!" when Amazon offered a free 30-day Prime trial. Should be here in a couple days.

This one is assembled in China, isn't it? Idk why but I am kinda scared when buying things that are assembled in China.

Last time I went to Frys, saw this one and the HGST (assembled in Thailand). The Hitachi is a bit more expensive than Seagate ($199 to $179) but I chose HGST...

This one is assembled in China, isn't it? Idk why but I am kinda scared when buying things that are assembled in China.

That's very rational. Better throw out every electronic device in your house then.

That's very rational. Better throw out every electronic device in your house then.

Actually, not everything is ASSEMBLED in China. There are a decent number of products and goods which involve making parts in China then shipping to the country of the parent company or the country of distribution for the purpose of assembly.

This allows for better quality control on the final product because then non-China operations will have control of the product before it is shipped out. That is why it is better when products are ASSEMBLED outside of China regardless of where the parts are made.

Just cancelled both. Says 7200rpm at the top, but these are 5900rpm drives. Buyer Beware.

Just cancelled both. Says 7200rpm at the top, but these are 5900rpm drives. Buyer Beware.

For my usage HTPC I would not want 7200 RPM drives since I am not using any kind of raid and I would prefer the lower power usage over better performance which will make no difference since its not like HD streams require a 7200 RPM drive..

For my usage HTPC I would not want 7200 RPM drives since I am not using any kind of raid and I would prefer the lower power usage over better performance which will make no difference since its not like HD streams require a 7200 RPM drive..
isnt the difference like only 1 or 2 watts though?

i bought 2 of these. I saw 150$ and was like 4tb, yup.Been looking for some new storage drives.

That's nice. I wanted the drive as advertised. I also don't want any more latency then I already have.

i'm tempted to put my tax check towards a couple of these.... might be a good replacement for the older 1.5/2tb drives

The 5900rpm drive is just about as fast if not just as fast as the 7200rpm drive because it uses larger platters. The 5900rpm model uses 1TB platters, the 7200 rpm model uses smaller platter and more of them which only generates more heat and power draw. Its honestly pretty silly to overlook the 5900rpm model for a drive that should be used for storage when the performance specs are going to be almost identical to the 7200rpm model. If this were a drive you were using for gaming, I could understand being a little picky and wanting a very slight increase in access time but to be perfectly honest, no one is using a 4TB drive for gaming and the 5900 vs 7200rpm argument is pretty ridiculous. Your loss on a great a drive.

That's nice. I wanted the drive as advertised. I also don't want any more latency then I already have.

If your computer is slow, you need to look at other drives rather than a 4TB model. All 4TB models aren't going to be as fast as an SSD or a performance based drive under 1TB.

How does the seagate version compare to the "internal" brand of the 4tb?

Not a bad price. Wish they were dropping faster like they used to.

I picked up a 3TB for $99 at Costco last Black Friday. A 4TB at Costco for $130 (or $140?) a few months back. We're lucky if we see that price on sale and it's been 8 months.

They're really holding onto this flood.

Back