Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB $88 @Amazon.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST3000DM001) is $88.41 @Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_KmxMvb0S4R3DV

I will just say that this drive blew up on me around May 30th 2015. I was using it as my Steam / gaming drive at the time. I purchased it on June 7, 2012.

YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST3000DM001) is $88.41 @Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_KmxMvb0S4R3DV

I will just say that this drive blew up on me around May 30th 2015. I was using it as my Steam / gaming drive at the time. I purchased it on June 7, 2012.

YMMV.

The failure rate on many Seagate drives is simply abominable, from 9.5% on certain 1.5TB drives to 23.5% on the old 7200.11 series, to a whopping 43.1% on the Seagate 7200.14 drive family of 3TB products.Jan 23, 2015

HDDFailures-BB1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use HGST and WD in my server, but for Steam Games this is nice amount of storage for the money.

The failure rate on many Seagate drives is simply abominable, from 9.5% on certain 1.5TB drives to 23.5% on the old 7200.11 series, to a whopping 43.1% on the Seagate 7200.14 drive family of 3TB products.Jan 23, 2015
]

Another guy that didn't get the memo that backblaze stats are bullshit and have been debunked ad nauseum.

I have 2 Seagate 3TG External Drives going strong now for 3 years. I'd be comfortable buying one again, but I just bought a new Synology DS415+ for my new networking project.

My 3TB Seagate failed last month after 3 years, definitely one hell of a crappy drive. No more mechanical for me.

I purchased two 3tb seagates in the last year. One is already failing and smart is asking me to replace it. Honestly, I would stay away from seagate for a lil bit. I've had great luck with Samsung (When they were samsung), and Hitachi. Got three 3tb Hitachi's atm and two Seagate 3tb's...Looking to replace both of those soon...lol

HDDFailures-BB1.jpg

How is Seagate still solvent with failure rates like this??

Even 10% is horrible. Fishy stats? I'm using a 500 GB Samsung drive from 2007 and a 2 TB one from 2011, on the same motherboard even. Since Seagate bought Samsung a few years back, I wonder if I should consider myself lucky to have two working drives after a combined 12 years of ownership.

The 3TB seagate I have (bought late last year) has been rather loud and made odds sounds at times on powering up and down. Diagnostics say its fine but I keep an eye on it.

Guess I've been lucky with Seagate. I have a couple of 2TB internal drives for storage and backup and been running them for almost 5 years. Also had a couple of 320GB internal drives that ran solid for several years. Can't say the same for WD but they've been mostly reliable for me. But I'm done with hard drives once 2TB SSDs become more affordable.

I have advocated this drive several times in the past, as it comes up often in Hot Deals.

Time to backstep. I have a friend using the ST3000DM001, and it died a while back, taking 2.xx TB with it.

While my two have not failed outright, I recently swapped them for better stuff due to what sounded like coil whine coming from mine. It was the most audible part of the rig, and ended up being the only thing keeping it from near-silence. I only recently tuned my rig for relative silence, so I don't know if it was always there.

After swapping them out, I tried to copy to one of the Seagates from a replacement WD drives (with all the old data in place) using FreeFileSync. Both to see if the Seagate would handle it and to have a backup if so. Neither happened, the copy was being measured in KB/s for much too long.

It's been shelved since. I don't any grudge against the company and don't mean to TC, as anecdotal evidence is rather sketchy as data go, but I am not confident in their spinning drives anymore.

/wall of tears

The 3TB seagate I have (bought late last year) has been rather loud and made odds sounds at times on powering up and down. Diagnostics say its fine but I keep an eye on it.

That's what mine did. Diagnostics aid it was fine but kept making all this atrocious noise. I thought it was a bad case fan at one point to give you an idea how loud it was. Then poof. Up in smoke.

anecdotal, i know, but my 3TB seagate is fine. smart says its status is "good" and the only noise it makes is when it stops spinning. i think it's three years old now? don't remember when i bought it. will consider replacing it soon, however. what's the most reliable brand/line of hard drives?

Had two of these fail on me after roughly 1.5 years on one and about 8 months on the other.

Back