Seagate 18TB Hard Drive Exos X18 18TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Manufacturer Recertified $245 Shipped

For that many failures, it's either that the drives were damaged in shipping/installation or aren't being cooled sufficiently. These aren't consumer drives that are designed to be whisper quiet and cool to the touch--these are enterprise drives that have heft that you can hear and will burn your hand if you torture it without cooling. It's why I always keep all my fan 100% in anything that has a speed-adjustable fan--because hot electronics are cooking their life away...

A pity Seagate enterprise drives run so warm.
I found the opposite with HGST and new WD drives, they run cool enough to not need fans, except for the earliest drive in my system (which are inside a table, the drives are not in the path of the fan blowing at the main system).
They are also very quiet except for the He8 that needs placing on folded cloth to prevent vibration.

At 22C room ambient (not sure of case temp) with drives permanently powered on, I get the following idle temps with no fan direct to the drives:
He8 8TB near 40C-
He10 8TB near 30C+
He10 10TB near 30C+
He18 18TB near 30C+

I now blow a fan across the He8 8TB.
All drives get at least some air cooling from it but this also draws a little heated air from the main system, so swings and roundabouts.
But with the fan being closest to the He8 it knocked near 10C off its temp, mission accomplished.
All drives are now close to the same temp at idle.

ps
I'm in no doubt these drives in hard enterprise use will run hotter than this, but for home use these figures will hold value for some readers.
The HE18 18TB receives almost no airflow being furthest from the fan, idles around 32C.
The max temp throughout its 1.5 month lifespan attained during copying of over 10TB sustained, approx 13 hrs copying, is 36C.

Last edited:
From Slickdeal, anyone familiar with this vendor, Tech on Tech? This price is super attractive for 18TB.

2-pack Seagate Exos X18 18TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5-Inch Enterprise Hard Drive ST18000NM000J (Renewed) $494.99

I have no experience with them but maybe gs274 does?

Or just wait a bit and buy them brand spanking new, with the 5 year warranty, for $290 each? I had them priced below $300 at both B&H and Amazon early last month.

View attachment 475176

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon renewed is fine for a cable modem but one of these drives? I'd be running from that like it was an 800kt mushroom cloud. ;-)

I agree, the time and effort required to properly test and then populate a drive as huge are alone reason to not risk higher failure rate.
A refurb drive needs longer under test to be sure of no fundamental issues and even then, without knowing why it became a refurb, what was done to repair and to what standard, the risk is higher.

And thats without taking into account the system downtime should something go wrong.
The extra £ for a brand new sealed package drive is well worth it.

I have no experience with them but maybe gs274 does?
They are fine, everything arrived shipped from Amazon, OEM packaging, and checked out showing a 5 year warranty from Seagate. Drives are very nice.

I’d buy em. For all the bad press I’ve had maybe 8 drives fail since 1994 when my dad bought me a PC as a kid and one DOA.

4 were refurb HGST/Hitachis, all from one batch that were badly handled in shipping that I attempted to use during the Chia shortages because I needed the specific size for the raid. Two actually still work, they started getting bad sectors. I long formatted them and put ripped tv shows on them for my bedroom.

One was a Conner peripherals 810mb.

One was an external 8tb Seagate that fell off a shelf while writing

One was an 8.4gb Samsung Spinpoint.

One was an external Maxtor 500 gb from like 2008 that had like 100k hours. I’m not even sure the drive itself failed it might be the usb to IDE that’s bad but I haven’t dug out an IDE device to test it with.

I still have a factory refurb seagate from 1997 from Seagate that still works.

I’d buy em. For all the bad press I’ve had maybe 8 drives fail since 1994 when my dad bought me a PC as a kid and one DOA.

4 were refurb HGST/Hitachis, all from one batch that were badly handled in shipping that I attempted to use during the Chia shortages because I needed the specific size for the raid. Two actually still work, they started getting bad sectors. I long formatted them and put ripped tv shows on them for my bedroom.

One was a Conner peripherals 810mb.

One was an external 8tb Seagate that fell off a shelf while writing

One was an 8.4gb Samsung Spinpoint.

One was an external Maxtor 500 gb from like 2008 that had like 100k hours. I’m not even sure the drive itself failed it might be the usb to IDE that’s bad but I haven’t dug out an IDE device to test it with.

I still have a factory refurb seagate from 1997 from Seagate that still works.
Interesting every 2-1TB seagate dirve I bought died about 10 or so. While I have had a few WBs die to the numbers were fewer. I miss the old Samsung drives.

Interesting every 2-1TB seagate dirve I bought died about 10 or so. While I have had a few WBs die to the numbers were fewer. I miss the old Samsung drives.
Samsungs died like flies for me.
They reliably didnt last 2 years ;)

Samsungs died like flies for me.
They reliably didnt last 2 years ;)
Odd, they were rated one of the best drives back in the 1TB / 2Tb days. I had some running for many many years, they just got too small to bother with. Heck they probably still work, but they are no longer in use. Segates were the worst. They had some buggy firmware where you would just get an unlucky boot and the drive would no longer function or show up. I think they had bad controllers. I remember RMAing one of them 3 times. Horrible experience. Granted going way back segate was one of the better drives. Every single Baracude was a POS. I remember buying like 8 or 10 of them: https://www.theregister.com/2009/01/16/barracuda_failure_plague/
The update never fixed the problems for me either.

I did just have a Samsung enterprise NVME drive start to fail, it came in my thinkpad so I replaced it with a WD.

Odd, they were rated one of the best drives back in the 1TB / 2Tb days. I had some running for many many years, they just got too small to bother with. Heck they probably still work, but they are no longer in use. Segates were the worst. They had some buggy firmware where you would just get an unlucky boot and the drive would no longer function or show up. I think they had bad controllers. I remember RMAing one of them 3 times. Horrible experience. Granted going way back segate was one of the better drives. Every single Baracude was a POS. I remember buying like 8 or 10 of them: https://www.theregister.com/2009/01/16/barracuda_failure_plague/
The update never fixed the problems for me either.

I did just have a Samsung enterprise NVME drive start to fail, it came in my thinkpad so I replaced it with a WD.
That was my experience with (Samsung 1TB spinning rust) as well. Out of the 50 or so drives I had we only had one go offline due to SMART out of spec. And that was 6 years into 24/7 service used for heavy R/W tasks. They were deprecated due to capacity constraints. Still have them around, make great drives for systems that need moderate storage and not necessarily speed. ;-)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A pity Seagate enterprise drives run so warm.
I found the opposite with HGST and new WD drives, they run cool enough to not need fans, except for the earliest drive in my system (which are inside a table, the drives are not in the path of the fan blowing at the main system).
They are also very quiet except for the He8 that needs placing on folded cloth to prevent vibration.

At 22C room ambient (not sure of case temp) with drives permanently powered on, I get the following idle temps with no fan direct to the drives:
He8 8TB near 40C-
He10 8TB near 30C+
He10 10TB near 30C+
He18 18TB near 30C+

I now blow a fan across the He8 8TB.
All drives get at least some air cooling from it but this also draws a little heated air from the main system, so swings and roundabouts.
But with the fan being closest to the He8 it knocked near 10C off its temp, mission accomplished.
All drives are now close to the same temp at idle.

ps
I'm in no doubt these drives in hard enterprise use will run hotter than this, but for home use these figures will hold value for some readers.
The HE18 18TB receives almost no airflow being furthest from the fan, idles around 32C.
The max temp throughout its 1.5 month lifespan attained during copying of over 10TB sustained, approx 13 hrs copying, is 36C.
They're actually not any warmer than my WD/HGST drives--they're the same temps. I always just run a fan because failures happen less when everything is cool.

Back