Seagate 16TB HDD Exos X16 7200 RPM (ST16000NM001G) $289.99

Out of curiosity do they have the annoying wear leveling sweep every 5 seconds?
These are enterprise drives so you'll hear them doing stuff every so often, but they're as solid as the HGST/WD enterprise offerings and pretty much the same level of 'noise'. Drive noise doesn't bother me because I'll trade reliability for noise any day...

I'm showing 282.99 now so $17.6875/TB or if you're still seeing 289.99, it's $18.125/TB at that price. What's really nice is the 18TB at $17.83/TB. Unreal that you are more than double the capacity in the same size drive as an 8TB from just a few years ago. (y) It seems like manufacturing efficiencies are starting to take place at these larger drives sizes as I recently got an 18TB WD enterprise for a good price as well.

This. First thing to do is check SN on Seagate warranty checker. It should be 5 years. If drives are OEM you have no warranty recourse through Seagate!
Yeah, if you don't have a 5yr warranty on this, then it's not worth paying the premium over $14-15/TB imo.

Be advised in the reviews people are reporting some of these are OEM and you may have warranty issues.
Although these are shipped via Amazon, they are being sold by HyperHawk. Good price but I am not going to take the risk of not receiving a warranty.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We use these on network video recorders, they seem to like the 512MB cache too.
Rock solid drives, have not lost one. The EXOS and SKYHAWK AI, OTOH, have had issues in this configuration.

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-MG08ACA16TE-7200RPM-Enterprise-Desktop/dp/B0832BL1HC

There are other places to get them at this price with a five year warranty too.
There was a recent thread on servethehome about these drives (I think in the thread where I found the Seagate refurb deal), and several people commented on how Toshiba's warranty process is pretty much non-existent. Apparently when you contact them, they're in shock that you need to return a drive under warranty as if they've never heard of such a thing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tempting! Have you dealt with this company before? Reseller ratings look pretty good.
I personally haven't, but I know they're a staple in that niche. If I had to buy something from them I wouldn't hesitate, but watch the details on what they're selling as they also sell used and other stuff so you have to make sure you're getting what you want. In this case it's pretty clear so no 'gotcha'. Plus, these guys know their customers are typically enterprise that don't F around, so they don't or they wouldn't be in business much longer. Definitely let us know how it goes! If the drives are refurbed properly, they should last a long time. I just put an 8TB and 16TB exos into service to join several others that have about 12k poh. One of the 8TB is a refurb from warranty. All have been reliable.

There was a recent thread on servethehome about these drives (I think in the thread where I found the Seagate refurb deal), and several people commented on how Toshiba's warranty process is pretty much non-existent. Apparently when you contact them, they're in shock that you need to return a drive under warranty as if they've never heard of such a thing.
I couldn't say as (luckily) I've never had to RMA one! ;-)
They do have a warranty validator, however and that works fine.

I couldn't say as (luckily) I've never had to RMA one! ;-)
They do have a warranty validator, however and that works fine.
Toshiba, right?

I actually have some of their 4TB nas drives to put into a 16TB ss4200-e build and I think they were under warranty still too. So many drives so little time...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep Toshiba.
Anyone remember those original IBM deskstar/ultrastar designs? Those were epic minus the 75GXPs that had failure rates rivaling Seagate 7200.11. ;-)

Yep Toshiba.
Anyone remember those original IBM deskstar/ultrastar designs? Those were epic minus the 75GXPs that had failure rates rivaling Seagate 7200.11. ;-)

My roommate in high school at the time had his mother buy one of the 75 GB ones for his birthday. He was so proud for getting the largest drive available at the time. So, she then shipped it to him at school - and he got it in a UPS/Fedex envelope. No additional shipping protection. He plugged it in but immediately got the dreaded clicking, and it was DOA. He was so pissed! It's funny now, but we felt horrible for him when it happened.

Well, that's either really good or really bad.

Yep Toshiba.

lol I had a pair of 75GXPs in RAID 0 for about 2 yrs. Never a hiccup. Lucky I guess, cause I do remember people here grumbling about them......

lol I had a pair of 75GXPs in RAID 0 for about 2 yrs. Never a hiccup. Lucky I guess, cause I do remember people here grumbling about them......
Depends on the size too. The 27.3 and 45GB sizes seemed to be more reliable. The 60 and 75s OTOH not so much. They were quite sensitive to shock even when off and heads parked. I was sent a dead 75GB and ran the IBM tool on it and it said failure caused by excessive shock. Imagine those today being shipped in a jiffy pack! :-|

Their platters were glass so they had a nice high security instant data erase feature! Slam it on the floor, if it sounds like its full of BBs, nobody is getting that data! :-D

Their platters were glass so they had a nice high security instant data erase feature! Slam it on the floor, if it sounds like its full of BBs, nobody is getting that data! :-D
Today's drives also use glass, but I guess they're just made better.

My roommate in high school at the time had his mother buy one of the 75 GB ones for his birthday. He was so proud for getting the largest drive available at the time. So, she then shipped it to him at school - and he got it in a UPS/Fedex envelope. No additional shipping protection. He plugged it in but immediately got the dreaded clicking, and it was DOA. He was so pissed! It's funny now, but we felt horrible for him when it happened.
Sad to see the definition of 'funny' change over the years. Seems a lot of 'funny' things today are now only at the expense of someone else's pain. :(

Hi All, I got my 2 Drives they arrived and look new, sealed in AntiStatic Bags, going over to Seagate Warranty Checker was a bust for both HDD's - "This product was originally sold as a part of a larger system. Please contact the system manufacturer or your place of purchase for warranty support." WTF does that even mean? Since when buying a PC Part no longer applies to the original manufacturer especially when its brand new?

Did anyone else get their Drive, did you check the warranty? Gonna boot them up tomorrow and check the stats in CrystalDiskInfo

Hi All, I got my 2 Drives they arrived and look new, sealed in AntiStatic Bags, going over to Seagate Warranty Checker was a bust for both HDD's - "This product was originally sold as a part of a larger system. Please contact the system manufacturer or your place of purchase for warranty support." WTF does that even mean? Since when buying a PC Part no longer applies to the original manufacturer especially when its brand new?

Did anyone else get their Drive, did you check the warranty? Gonna boot them up tomorrow and check the stats in CrystalDiskInfo
So they're OEM pulls, which almost always have no warranty directly from the manufacturer. This is typical of any drive that comes with a system/server/etc. Personally, I'd send them back unless the warranty means something to you. The smart data can be altered.

That means you have no warranty from Seagate. The warranty lies on the individual you purchased it from. If you email them 6 months from now (example, say the drive clicks and is un recognized by system) they will probably tell you to pound sand.

That means you have no warranty from Seagate. The warranty lies on the individual you purchased it from. If you email them 6 months from now (example, say the drive clicks and is un recognized by system) they will probably tell you to pound sand.
Yep, pretty much this since amazon and other marketplace sellers like to dump stuff like this and then run away with the cash...

Scroll into other sellers list, ship and sold by Amazon back available for $289. I'd get them from Amazon and check the warranty first before installing them and return them if 5yrs wasn't the answer

EDIT: same price at sold/shipped by Newegg

Last edited:
Back