Seagate 160GB internal HD for $16.70! or $9.99! AR

gangolfus

Gawd
This week, Compusa is selling a Seagate 160GB internal HD for $39 after $80 rebate.

However, Walmart sells the same drive for $98.88. So price match at Compusa and get the drive for

$119.99 - 23.22 - 80 = $16.70 AR + tax

Or if you are lucky enough to have a Fry's in the area (there are none in Ohio), they are selling the drive for $89.99.

$119.99 - 33 - 80 = $9.99 AR + tax

Compusa

Walmart

Fry's

Well, there's not this pricematching in the other thread about the Seagate drive. There's also the WD 160GB pricematch at CC that didn't work for me.

I'm so hesitant about these pricematching things, though.

Beware the $20 CompUSA rebate! Granted this is still a really good deal without it...

<--- price-matching n00b.

can someone explain the process here in a few small words? thanks.

ps. i know what pricematching means, just not sure if u have too buy two drives or just need to show an ad from one store or what.

Just take an ad or a printout from walmart.com to compusa and tell them to pricematch it. They might want to call walmart to check that it is the right price and it is in stock. After that, they should give you the price on the drive and hopefully you still get the mail in rebates a few weeks down the road.

As I understand it, you have to show them a circular with the price or some other proof that Store X sells the drive for less $$. Then they match the price. They have a few ways to avoid pricematching everything though. They wont pricematch sale prices of other stores (i think). They dont pricematch every store. And I think they include rebates into the equation to avoid pricematching things into ridiculously low prices like this one.

Im not sure on 2 of the 3 though.

though in all honesty, they should only consider compusa rebates into that, as compusa doesn't see the money from the other rebates.

CompUSA denied me, wouldn't match Walmart for some reason. I pushed a little but was too tired to get really worked up about it.

I also was denied by Compusa.... they say, and I quote, "Walmart is not a competitor."

Anyone have luck with Fry's?

gangolfus said:
I also was denied by Compusa.... they say, and I quote, "Walmart is not a competitor."

What a joke. That kinda reminds me of BestBuy claiming their online store is a seperate company from the bm stores. Its just ridiculous what scams these stores get away with so they don't have to honor their advertised lowest price guarantees.

It should be said that most PM policies will consider the final price in pricematching. meaning if there drive is $40 after rebate, that is the price you have to beat. this depends on what store you get and what manager you get that day.

The problem here is that they have many ways around the pricematch. So that they can deny you anytime they want.

What probably happened:
Many people abused this. So a few higher up managers got wind of it and decided to stop pricematching it. Since they cant tell you "no," they used one of the many 'built in' excuses their pricematching policy has. They can say Store X is not a competitor (even though theyve pricematched other items from that store in the past). Or they can say you have to beat the price after the rebate (not before).

Basically, pricematching exsists because it makes a store look good to its customers. its a crapshoot. They can deny you anytime via any excuse. The minute a ton of ppl started to show asking this HD to be pricematched, they decided as a policy, not to do it. They just dont tell you that.

has anyone gotten this to work yet? The only compusa is 30 minutes away, so I am wary to drive that far to get rejected in 10 seconds.

ill give them a call today I guess

gangolfus said:

hahaha, when they say that, I say "ok, I'll just go over there and buy it then. Now I guess you should start considering them a compeditor." :p (then I just price match it at the store I go to with some other store selling it cheaper)

These price matches never work. The only time you have even the slightest prayer of getting it to work is if some half-retarded assistant manager who just started there is the person you talk to.

However, $39 in and of itself is still a good deal.

For the last several months, Best Buy rebates have said that if the price of an item has been modified you are no longer eligible for the rebate. I haven't tried to get one through but that's what the form says. So if you are price matching at Best Buy on an item with a rebate, you are no longer eligible for the rebate.

SpangeMonkee said:
looks like a good deal. though, I'm holding out for a good SATA deal.

I picked up a hitachi 7k250 250GB sata from fry's in indy for 160-20instant-40mir=100. It's not samsung silent, but it's got avg reads of 50MB/sec in hdtach :p

wishbone said:
For the last several months, Best Buy rebates have said that if the price of an item has been modified you are no longer eligible for the rebate. I haven't tried to get one through but that's what the form says. So if you are price matching at Best Buy on an item with a rebate, you are no longer eligible for the rebate.

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. Earlier this summer I found a 512mb flash drive for $18.99 open box at Best Buy (a pretty good deal). I got up to the register and a $10 and a $20 rebate printed off. So I said, what-the-hell and sent them in figuring they would just laugh and throw them away. As it turns out, I ended up getting both rebates, and the drive ended up netting me >$10!

According to the link, this is a SATA so....

Also, that "ill go to a competitor" line doesnt work in situations like this. Theyll pay your carfare if you go to a competitor because at $17, they dont want your business. Its a good deal for $40. Thats 25 cents a GB. Using the pricematch to try to get it for $17 (10cents/GB) is abuse. Thats why they have all those prerequisites built into their pricematch offers. To prevent this kind of stuff.

Of course, it was worth the try :)

Back