Seagate 1.5TB Firmware Update Fix

I have one of the 1.5 TB models with the SD17 firmware. I haven't had any issue with this drive, should I try and upgrade the firmware to SD1B or should I just let the drive be?

I have one of the 1.5 TB models with the SD17 firmware. I haven't had any issue with this drive, should I try and upgrade the firmware to SD1B or should I just let the drive be?

I am leaving my SD15 1TBs for the time being, simply because they work, I use the moto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

And after 320 sector remaps and your hdd refuses to be identified by the bios? ...

I am leaving my SD15 1TBs for the time being, simply because they work, I use the moto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

My SD15 1tb drives were fine - then one bootup one of the drives is no longer detected. I've got the replacement drive coming, and when it gets here I'm flashing all my drives and HOPEFULLY rebuilding the array. I would flash them as soon as possible if I were you.

Thanks for all the advice.... i think i'll go ahead and try to upgrade the firmware. Hopefully, it doesn't brick.

I have 2x 7200.11 ST3500320AS drives purchased at the same time with the same site and date code. Both came with SD15 firmware. The first four digits of the serial numbers were the same but I plugged them both into the website and got the following:

SNo Serial number Result Action
1 5QM0**** Drive is affected. Proceed with Step 4.
2 5QM0**** Drive is not affected. No action required.

:confused: I guess I'll flash one at a time later. They are in RAID1 and it seems rather strange to update one but not the other.

There is a Slashdot article written by a supposed employee. The explanation is that some drives were tested and then boxed before a test configuration was cleared (in which allowed the =320 bricking). If Seagate has truly tracked down the culprit maybe they still have logs of which S/Ns are affected. I just burned the firmware update CD for my drives so I'll see how it goes.

Just to let everyone know...
I just recieved 2 new 1.5 TB drives with the SD17 firmware from Newegg. So these drives are still shipping.
The serial number check utility said that both my drives were unaffected - but I updated them to the SD1B firmware anyway. I'll post again if I see any problems.

Just got my second one from newegg. I got the CC1H firmware. Anyone know if these need flashing?

So I kinda want to get one of these 1.5tb drives. I know a lot of people complain about newegg's shipping, where else do you recommend getting them? Zipzoomfly? Also, you think it is safe now to get one of these drives with all the firmware troubles that has been going on?

For anyone who cares, I got a 1.5TB drive from Newegg today (ordered last friday) and its CC1J Firmware.. :)

I just got a new 1.5tb Seagate FreeAgent Mac external HD here in Norway, with a serial that is supposed to be "OK", but I also have freezing issues. Man, Seagate needs to get their act together. This is just pathetic... I mean, the model has been out for quite a while, and they still have firmwire bugs. That is unforgivable.
Back to WD again... (To bad, because I really liked the design and size of the FreeAgent HD.)

I just got CC1H firmware and I am still having freezing issues, it says its unaffected, but this is definitely not normal behavior. I am having to RMA this piece of crap. :rolleyes:

When my 1TB drive was recovered at i365 (Seagate's data recovery center), they installed the SD1A firmware update.

I've since bought and received two 1.5TB drives from them with the same firmware. Do you think I'm more or less safe?

SD1A isn't the latest firmware for the 1.5tv drives. You should check with customer service but I think the most recent for 1.5tb drives is SD1B.

SD1A isn't the latest firmware for the 1.5tv drives. You should check with customer service but I think the most recent for 1.5tb drives is SD1B.

That's only for SDxx drives, do not try to apply this firmware patch on CCxx or LCxx drives!

That's only for SDxx drives, do not try to apply this firmware patch on CCxx or LCxx drives!

Good point. His post does say it has the same firmware as his 1tb drive but others skimming the forums might get confused.

Sounds like another long-wait-time phone call to i365 again to ask. I guess I shouldn't gamble without their advice.

I'm considering grabbing a Seagate 1.5tb drive... do the new drives still have issues? I only read the last page of posts, so sorry if this has been asked already :).

I must say, with the exception of the drive I had to send for recovery (it was purchased before fixes were made to firmware), everything's been good for the 1TB and 1.5TB drives in question. I haven't lost faith in them yet, and I still recommend thier drives to others.

I got a CC1H drive about 2 months ago and it constantly clicks. It's a backup drive so I don't normally use it for anything where I'd notice performance issues.

Just for fun, I tried to stream a movie from the drive. I went through about 5 minutes before it just froze for about 5 seconds, clicked, and then started playing again.

I guess I'll be returning this one.

First, tell me what you're using this for - if boot drive, then get out the OS disc and just follow directions. If additional storage disc, then just plug it in while the computer is off - as always be careful of static shock - ground yourself first.

Then download seatools. This will help you set up (partition/format) your disc so that it's ready for new files/folders to be written. Hopefully you have a high-speed connection to the internet, if not, you might wait for a while to get this rather large download. I believe there's a utility on there that will show the version of firmware that is preinstalled. Otherwise you can click here, scroll to the bottom of the page, and look for the links on how to make sure your drive has the right firmware, and what to do if it doesn't.

First, tell me what you're using this for - if boot drive, then get out the OS disc and just follow directions. If additional storage disc, then just plug it in while the computer is off - as always be careful of static shock - ground yourself first.

Then download seatools. This will help you set up (partition/format) your disc so that it's ready for new files/folders to be written. Hopefully you have a high-speed connection to the internet, if not, you might wait for a while to get this rather large download. I believe there's a utility on there that will show the version of firmware that is preinstalled. Otherwise you can click here, scroll to the bottom of the page, and look for the links on how to make sure your drive has the right firmware, and what to do if it doesn't.

Seagate doesn't mention which firmware you want to have installed. Mine is CC1H, is this an issue?

Edit: Seagate serial number check says that it is not affected.

picked one of the 1.5 TB Drives for 92 bux at microcenter. Thing keeps dieing on plain old copies. (like someone mentioned before, the ENTIRE computer freezes. Have done what I hate doing and that is a [H]ard power down :( )

Doing the iso tonigh see if this works!

yeha i think that checker is junk. mine also says it doesnt need an update but i was using my 1.5tb drive as a system drive and it constatnly has ATA controller problems and the PC powers itself down. then i have to power the whole thing off entirely to get the HD to get recognized again.

I am going to be flashing mine regardless of what their website says if i dont have the newest firmware. i already sent my mobo back thinking it was a faulty mobo since the mobo was a refurb. then i started reading about all these freezes and hangups so now im pretty sure its the HD i bought it back in Jan so im sure its affected.

yeha i think that checker is junk. mine also says it doesnt need an update but i was using my 1.5tb drive as a system drive and it constatnly has ATA controller problems and the PC powers itself down. then i have to power the whole thing off entirely to get the HD to get recognized again.

I am going to be flashing mine regardless of what their website says if i dont have the newest firmware. i already sent my mobo back thinking it was a faulty mobo since the mobo was a refurb. then i started reading about all these freezes and hangups so now im pretty sure its the HD i bought it back in Jan so im sure its affected.

What firmware did your drive ship with?

I noticed that when I have two of these in a box while neither is the boot drive, file transfers are at a cruising speed at around 105MB per second during large video transfers. Is this considered good? For me I think it is.

Here's an interesting issue. I've had this drive either since October or November (haven't bothered looking at the serial to check which one is its yet) and it was updated from the original SD## firmware to SD1A and has been working really well, like any other drive. Now when watching a movie off of the drive the video starts stuttering and freezing with the drive making some loud seeking noises. I'll be running seatools soon but until then it seems as if this drive is either dying or suffering from the same issues post firmware update.

Edit - After pulling up task manager I saw that media center was updating something so I killed the process and the movie has been playing fine since I posted. I still plan on running seatools when I'm done.

Last edited:
Since my last post here (two up) I've had transfer rates at up to 186MB/Sec, but usually in the 80-100 range.

I'm glad that things are fixed for you SC385

I've got two updated drives from last year and one newer firmware one all 3 are fine. I'm considering buying more due to their cost compared to the WD 2tb's

Anyone get the Costco deal for the Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB external drives? It more than likely has a ST31500341AS, but I'm curious if that really is the drive-in-question within these external drives, and what firmware they have.

If all is well and the planets align, I may snatch up one to pop into my server. :)

Well, even if it does turn out to have the older firmware, the process of updating is something you can do on your own if you're willing to go through the steps outlined on the Seagate web site.

Back