Seagate 1.5TB Firmware Update Fix

because for some of us, the ISO burned to a cd won't boot.

I was having the same problem on my machine. I finally figured out what was going on, I have a SATA DVD burner in my PC, and I had the SATA controller set for AHCI mode and the boot disk would always hang. I set the controller up in standard mode, was able to boot off the CD and flash my drives. Just remember to set it back to AHCI before booting back into your OS.

I'm all set with SD1A. The only problem I actually had was trying to install Nero 9 to burn the ISO to a CD. God, WTF happened to Nero? It used to be so awesome and now it won't even install because it's a hunking pile of poo.

I just got 2 of these drives from NewEgg... Have not installed them yet, but the Firmware says CC1G on the label, does this mean I am safe and don't have to update?

CC1G? Well that's not SD15, SD17, or SD19... so I'd say you're in the clear. Maybe they're finally sending out the drives with updated firmware!

I also have Firmware CC1G from Newegg. I've been googling to see if I need to update :confused:

I also have Firmware CC1G from Newegg. I've been googling to see if I need to update :confused:

Nope. CC1G is good to go and actually not compatible with the SD1x firmwares. Flash a CC1x drive with an SD1x firmware and you have a brick.

i've read conflicting things that the cc1g you need to update to cc1h and others say that it can damage your hard drive and cause really bad performance :confused:

So, CC1G is actually a factory-shipped updated Seagate drive? Initially I had thought CC1G was another firmware for those with drives of firmwares other than SD16, 17, and 18.

I believe there's an SD35 firmware that does not exhibit any of the freezing symptoms that SD1A addresses.

So, CC1G is actually a factory-shipped updated Seagate drive? Initially I had thought CC1G was another firmware for those with drives of firmwares other than SD16, 17, and 18.

I believe there's an SD35 firmware that does not exhibit any of the freezing symptoms that SD1A addresses.

yep, I got a drive from newegg today with firmware CC1G

Upon googling, everyone is saying different things. It's not clear like the SD** Drives.

Some have updated CC1G > CC1H with no problems, some with performance hit, some fixes problems. But I read that segate suggest not to update to 1H because it can cause the drive to go dead?

I really want to get started and don't feel like waiting to know :D

But I read that segate suggest not to update to 1H because it can cause the drive to go dead?
This is probably the normal response and the assumed risk whenever you try to do any kind of firmware flashing, if the upgrade is botched then you'll just have a very expensive paperweight on your hands. :(

On my Seagate 1.5tB there is firmware SD35. I use the drive with a Eagle Tech w-series USB enclosure (Eagle Tech has two usb enclosures that can handle 1.5tB). When connected to a Linkstation NAS, and it is being accessed constantly (copying 200G back and forth between drives) there is no problem at all. (Drive formated XFS, btw.) However, after it it idles for a while, the USB unit thinks it's not there, runs the R/W light solid for a while, and the unit doesn't wake up. The Linkstation assumes it has been disconnected and it's unavailable; powering off and on is the only 'fix'. A Seagate 250G drive did not exhibit the same behavior in the same USB unit.

Speaking to two different people (L1) at Seagate, they said that these drives ALSO have to be updated to SD1A firmware, and sent me the certificate # email that grants access to the download, which appears to be identical to that posted on the large server sites elsewhere in this message thread containing both a ISO and a format Boot Floppy program with the firmware.

Page says that "Upgrade file for Seagate ST31500341AS SD1A
Use for 9JU138 -300 and -336 part numbers only (firmware SD15 -SD19). DO NOT use on any other part number or firmware."

I obviously don't have SD15-19; and because I am currently backing up the 220G that was on the drive as a precaution, I am not even sure that I have the 300-336 part number..... obviously if it bricks, not being the 'very specific' issue. The call center seemed to be having a LOT of calls, and both L1 techs had to ask someone for information while I was on hold....not very confidence building, hence the backup. I'll post the results and the complete info for the drive when finished.

Okay I'm really frustrated out of my mind here. I can't for the life of me get my computer to boot from a cd.

I'm not sure where I left my xp cd. Shouldn't be a problem though right? Just download the files and burn them to a cd and include the firmware upgrade files and should work. Nope.

So I've spent probably about four hours downloading software to get me to the dos prompt but whenever I restart my computer won't recognize anything on the cd or flash drive.

Could someone please post step by step instructions (or a link to something) that will allow me to run the 8HSD1A.BAT file from dos? Sorry but I've never actually purchased a second hard drive before and I've never had to do anything like this before, I'm extremely tired of restarting my computer, unplugging my main hard drive, restarting, seeing that it doesn't work, reaching back inside to plug back the sata drive, googling for more answers, downloading more crap, etc etc. Thank you :mad:

I can't believe Seagate doesn't just provide a simple application that will upgrade firmware from windows. Also I can't believe how incredibly difficult it is to simply boot to dos. Most of the simple programs do it with a floppy drive, which of course I don't have. I am not sure if my motherboard is properly detecting my flash drive (or for what matter if I have it in the correct usb slot) so I ditched that idea. Cd-rom sounds like the simplest way to go but gosh nothing seems to work :(

All I want to do is 1. Go to DOS, 2. Run that .bat file to upgrade firmware

On my Seagate 1.5tB there is firmware SD35. I use the drive with a Eagle Tech w-series USB enclosure (Eagle Tech has two usb enclosures that can handle 1.5tB). When connected to a Linkstation NAS, and it is being accessed constantly (copying 200G back and forth between drives) there is no problem at all. (Drive formated XFS, btw.) However, after it it idles for a while, the USB unit thinks it's not there, runs the R/W light solid for a while, and the unit doesn't wake up. The Linkstation assumes it has been disconnected and it's unavailable; powering off and on is the only 'fix'. A Seagate 250G drive did not exhibit the same behavior in the same USB unit.

Speaking to two different people (L1) at Seagate, they said that these drives ALSO have to be updated to SD1A firmware, and sent me the certificate # email that grants access to the download, which appears to be identical to that posted on the large server sites elsewhere in this message thread containing both a ISO and a format Boot Floppy program with the firmware.

Page says that "Upgrade file for Seagate ST31500341AS SD1A
Use for 9JU138 -300 and -336 part numbers only (firmware SD15 -SD19). DO NOT use on any other part number or firmware."

I obviously don't have SD15-19; and because I am currently backing up the 220G that was on the drive as a precaution, I am not even sure that I have the 300-336 part number..... obviously if it bricks, not being the 'very specific' issue. The call center seemed to be having a LOT of calls, and both L1 techs had to ask someone for information while I was on hold....not very confidence building, hence the backup. I'll post the results and the complete info for the drive when finished.

You can check the specific part number by looking at the sticker; the risk here is that if the flash fails, you've got yourself a paperweight! :eek:

Good luck with the flash, and please let us know of your results! When the manufacturer is unhelpful, we've got to help ourselves. :rolleyes:

I had a LaCié 500GB drive that died just after the first year... I took the broken 500GB drive out of the LaCié enclosure, bought this Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB and put it inside the enclosure, formatting it while in the usb enclosure was taking forever and Vista said the format could not be completed a couple of times. I only have a laptop pc.

So I took my new drive and plugged it into a friend's Desktop PC and formatted it there, it completed succesfully then I flashed the Firmware to SD1A as recommended on this thread (originally came with SD17, I bought from Amazon for $129 by the way) and now I have just put it back inside my LaCié box and it's working fine so far. Showing 1.36TB or available disk space.

Hope someone else will find this useful!

I got the firmware update (the one that everyone is getting) from seagate and it would not update my hardware as my drive reports itself as a 343 rather than a 341 model. Another call to seagate (very long - about 50 minutes) and talked with the L2 lead.

Here's what they said:
1. Even if the drive BRICKS, Seagate will replace it. They are NOT responsible for data loss.
2. My problem MIGHT be due to the USB enclosure. A call to Eagle Tech said they just got a new shipment and they will RMA the unit with a copy of the invoice; any problem with the device may have been corrected in the 'constant updates' that are done. The unit has limited Lifetime warranty (vs 1 year for most others).
3. These units according the L2 guy were specifically made for USB enclosure not really for internal case use. That is why the power usage and idle spin rate is the lowest that seagate has ever produced.

I got a custom firmware update from them specifically for my drive based on the serial number. They feel that the SD35 firmware IS performing as it should and any drive that has it or reports itself as a 343 model should not be having a problem. They suggested that there is a 60% chance that the firmware update will:
1. do nothing for me at all
2. degrade the drive
3. brick the drive

Not particularly in that order. 2 and 3 are more likely than 1.

I haven't done anything, I put the drive into a window box (after moving the data off) and reformatted NTFS. I may move the data back on, and attach the drive again, so that it would be in 'Read Only' mode on the network (which is fine, if I fill the drive up first and I can).

Hello folks,
FYI, here is my conversation with support. Hope this helps.

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
Hello. How may I help you?
SpeedyVV: Hello, I have 2 1.5TB drives with Firmware revision SD17. Where do I find the updated firmware?
SpeedyVV: I was told they have problems with my firmware
John F.: Hello
John F.: I will need Serial number for both of these drives
SpeedyVV: 9V---PC7 , 9VS---BN
John F.: Thanks one second, I have to verify the Products Number on both before I can give you the Firmware, so just one moment here
SpeedyVV: ok, thank you.
John F.: Serial 9V---PC7 Product 9JU138-300
Serial 9VS---BN Product 9JU138-300
John F.: Here is the procedure for both drives to update there Firmware's
John F.: Below you will find the instructions for redeeming the certificate number and downloading the firmware upgrade.

1. Go to the Certificate Validation URL on Seagate's website at: http://www.seagate.com/support/certificate.html

2. Enter the certificate number in the field provided on the website and click SUBMIT,

3. Follow the instructions for downloading the firmware below.

Your certificate number for your download is: <$23GS---DOM6>
(This code consists of 12 digits so please verify that you are using all characters listed.)

SeaTools Enterprise software will be needed to flash the firmware to your hard drive. It is available at:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

**Note**
SeaTools Enterprise requires the disc drive be attached to a non-raid SCSI card to test or flash firmware. Install the drive as a non-boot device on a non-RAID controller.

====Firmware upgrade instructions====

Seagate highly recommends that you do a complete system backup of any data on your hard drive prior to performing a firmware flash to ensure there is no chance of a loss of your data during the process. Seagate is not responsible for any data loss that may occur during or after your firmware upgrade.

1. Launch SeaTools.

2. Wait for SeaTools to scan for SCSI drives (approximately 30 seconds).

3. Click VIEW at the top and select ADVANCED.

4. Select your drive.

5. Click ADVANCED at the top and choose FIRMWARE.

6. Select the UPGRADE tab.

7. Click BROWSE and browse to the folder where you extracted the firmware file.

8. Click UPGRADE NOW.

***WARNING*********************************************************
DO NOT power down the server or the drive during this upgrade process.
If power is lost during a firmware upgrade, the drive will be destroyed. Wait until all drive LED
activity has ceased before powering off the drive.

The upgrade process should not take more than 3 minutes per drive.

Hi guys. I just got my HD from newegg and it's 9ju138-300 and SD17 firmware.

Could some one please post a link for the upgrade that I need that is in the form of a bootable iso?

The links posted in this thread say "download limit reached." Thanks.

just got to support chat on seagate site and the technician will sort you out with right fw

Sorry for the bump but that stupid Bigupload site is giving me shit saying I've reached my limit, even through I've never even used the site. Does anyone have any other links to the correct firmware for 9JU138-300 SD17 drives?

I just got burned by the firmware bug. I put in 2x1.5TB's in my WHS box. Once they were added to the pull and I turned on duplication to a new folder...it was nothing but pure hell. Imagine your machaine bascially locking up ever couple of seconds for 30 seconds. It took me 2 minutes to add the drives and about 2 hours to remove them! It is also required me to do the worst thing possible....forced power down (aka, pull the the plug).

I had the drives with CC1G firmware. I found the CC1H update and did that. Since then, the drives have been awesome. One thing though, the firmware isn't the same for all 1.5TB's. You need to be VERY careful which firmware you chose. Unless you understand the difference...you could brick your drive.

BTW, speedy...you got lucky. I was told I would need to submit an email trouble ticket and "wait". I said fuck it and took the risk. Right now Seagate is on bad terms with me. They aren't out...but if they pull this shit again...I will find a new vendor.

Yeah, I found a torrent for SD1A firmware iso (received an SD17 drive Jan 14th '09 from Newegg) and applied that before even trying to use the drive on my new build. Why do they make it such a hassle to get the firmware.

I'm a little confused after reading all of this. If I have a WHS that has 2 of these drives in it, but has been running rock solid and responsively for the last 2 + months, should I bother with the firmware update?

I'm a little confused after reading all of this. If I have a WHS that has 2 of these drives in it, but has been running rock solid and responsively for the last 2 + months, should I bother with the firmware update?

if it aint broke dont fix it

and if your really not sure contact seagate support.

I got my (3) 1.5s today, first off, one is DOA, does not power up, the other 2 are great.. All three are CC1H firmware..... (from Newegg none the less)

I had the drives with CC1G firmware. I found the CC1H update and did that. Since then, the drives have been awesome. One thing though, the firmware isn't the same for all 1.5TB's. You need to be VERY careful which firmware you chose. Unless you understand the difference...you could brick your drive.

I got my drive from Dell a few weeks ago and mine has the Firmware CC1J.
Is it safe to assume that my firmware is newer than the CC1H.

My drive runs fine, but sometimes (not too often) it has a slight pause when opening a file, up to about 10 seconds.
the drive was also making a beeping type sound while I was downloading a bunch of files to the drive, it wasn't really beep sound, more like a digital tone. Seems kinda strange.

I sent a trouble ticket to seagate on the 15th and haven't heard back from them yet.

I have 8 st31500341as drives, 7 of them shipped with cc1j and one shipped with cc1g. The drive with cc1g keeps freezing intermittently. I contacted seagate tech support and the tech told me that a firmware update would be out tonight or tomorrow for cc** firmware drives. The sd1b update they released today will brick cc** drives.

FWIW, they now have a SD1B update and available without going through hell. See http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207931 or more direct, http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207957

I updated the six 1.5TB SD1A drives without issue but YMMV. Always a risk with firmware updates. This is NOT for drives with CC or LC firmware.

What's the change from SD1A to SD1B? I'm not sure if SD1A is the problem firmware or just the example they're using for the detection app.

The first issue was hanging drives (ncq + flush cache). Second issue was drives that go invisible on boot, forever. Not sure if SD1A covered them both or not.

What's the change from SD1A to SD1B? I'm not sure if SD1A is the problem firmware or just the example they're using for the detection app.

The first issue was hanging drives (ncq + flush cache). Second issue was drives that go invisible on boot, forever. Not sure if SD1A covered them both or not.

Hmmm, I'm not experiencing either with my 1.5TB SD1A, and I use the drives constantly for streaming media and as installation sources for games and apps. I backup all my steam games to my server and rip any retail games. I thought the reason for SD1B was because SD1A had a chance to brick drives at the time of flash, and even then I couldn't find reports of it happening to 1.5TB. Only the smaller drives.

I'm also curious as to what SD1B fixes. I have the SD1A firmware on my drive, but I experience some pauses especially when I am playing mp3 files through itunes. I don't experience pauses when watching movies though, it usually happens at least once a day when I play songs. I thought the SD1A fixed the pausing/hanging issue? :confused: I'm afraid to upgrade to SD1B in fear of losing my data

SD1A definitely had the streaming fix already. I meant that my WAG is that SD1B addressed the disappear on boot, but don't know. It installed fine for me today.

My guess is with xorbe. While my drives always appeared at least to the ReadyNAS Pro, there was something that seemed to trigger that brick issue and I figured the risk of burning SD1B outweighed me losing a drive or more some point in the future while powering up the NAS box.

Back