Seagate 1.5 TB Barracuda - $99.99 w/FS @ Amazon

GnomeCop

[H]ard|Gawd
Seagate 1.5 TB Barracuda - $99.99 w/FS @ Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00066IJPQ

From their weekly deals email... Good deal if you're looking for some big drives for raid-0 or whatever. Price is valid for this week.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've learned my lesson with these drives a couple of months back, I bought 4 of these to run raid and I have always had problems with them either freezing or click of death after a couple of months, I applied the firmware fix that seagate has and still the same thing after a couple of months.

My advice Avoid these like a plague, pay extra and go with something reliable. You have been warned.

strange tho, i have 24 of them in my SAN and so far about more than a year havn't fail me yet

When you have lots of drives fail in your setup I have to blame power/environment/setup before just blaming the drives.

Seagate makes reliable drives overall, in fact I have a much better track record with them than WD.

I've learned my lesson with these drives a couple of months back, I bought 4 of these to run raid and I have always had problems with them either freezing or click of death after a couple of months, I applied the firmware fix that seagate has and still the same thing after a couple of months.

My advice Avoid these like a plague, pay extra and go with something reliable. You have been warned.

Same experience here. Avoid Seagate like the plague. They have chosen the same path IBM went down.

When you have lots of drives fail in your setup I have to blame power/environment/setup before just blaming the drives.

Seagate makes reliable drives overall, in fact I have a much better track record with them than WD.

but when you have the actual company admitting to the drives being bad there is nothing else to blame but Seagate. Also this is not like 1-2 people having problems, google the drive model and see how many problems they have.

Same experience here. Avoid Seagate like the plague. They have chosen the same path IBM went down.

Because a certain batch had issues? Ya, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Seagate screwed up with a large batch of drives and had firmware issues, it did not apply to all their drives and they have issued fixes. Sorry if some are still having issues, but overall Seagate still makes very good drives.

I have had 4 of these in a RAID 5 on a HPT RocketRaid 4320 since last summer and work great, get around 350mb/sec read from them for my video stuff.

Every company has made drives that are bad at some point. WD, Seagate, Maxtor, IBM etc.

These drives since that first release have had improved/fixed firmware which make them much more reliable.

Seagate 1TB and 1.5TB drives fail, do not trust your data in these drives, you have been warned, if you purchase these drives after reading this statement, you deserve what is going to happen to your data.

Don't normally do this....

Hard drives fail, do not trust your data in hard drives, you have been warned, if you purchase hard drives after reading this statement, you deserve what is going to happen to your data.

but fixed. To be fair I treat every hard drive like it's going to fail :)

I love how there is always naysayers about a particular brand whenever a hdd deal is posted. I agree on blaming the user/equipment or bad luck if your having multiplier hdd fails in the same raid. I've used seagate for many years and never had a problem.

We all should buy according to past experiences. That's the only way to keep crap products and crap companies out of the market. Seagate made mistakes and they should pay for them via lost market share. all other makers should endure the same fate when they bring lemons to market. I will continue to shun Seagate until I'm convinced they really have fixed the problem.

Back during the Deathstar fiasco I stuck with IBM far longer than I should have because I thought they would surely fix the problem. I was wrong and I suffered for it. Never again.

I've got 4x Seagate 1TB drives in RAID5 that have been running for a year with only one drive getting a couple bad sectors. I also have 4x WD 1.5TB drives in RAID5 running for about 3 months and 1 of the drives went bad within 2 weeks.

Bad drives can happen to anyone, any brand, any setup.

I have 3 of these exact drives in a RAID 5 and its been going strong 24x7 for over a year now.

I've heard plenty of people complain but I'm satisfied.

i have a computer store, i speak from many experiences, stay away from Seagate for a while. Western Digital, Hitachi, and Samsung are all better drives at this time. The Seagate 500GB 7200.12 is the only drive i would purchase from Seagate.

I just filled up my RAID 1 array with two of these. Time to make it a RAID 5!

For the record, no problems with these drives here.

I have 5 of these drives in various computers and haven't had any problems with them. Not even with the original firmware that shipped with 2 of them. I think the people with dead drives should check the conditions under which they are used and how they were shipped. I've had more RMA'd WD hard drives than any other.

I've had 3 dead Seagates in the last year, not a good record. My most reliable drives have been the Samsungs, and they happen to be the fastest of all the drives in their class so I am very happy with them, not even one problem in almost 3 years in Raid 0.

For those people who are proud of the fact their Seagates have not had a problem in 6months or so, don't worry, it's coming. For some reason the problems with the Seagates don't manifest themselves until the drives are full of your important data, then they will start the "click of death", or they will just die a very fast, PERMANENT death, taking yourimportant data with them!

Seagate has the most sales on their drives, and for a REASON.

I've had 3 dead Seagates in the last year, not a good record. My most reliable drives have been the Samsungs, and they happen to be the fastest of all the drives in their class so I am very happy with them, not even one problem in almost 3 years in Raid 0.

For those people who are proud of the fact their Seagates have not had a problem in 6months or so, don't worry, it's coming. For some reason the problems with the Seagates don't manifest themselves until the drives are full of your important data, then they will start the "click of death", or they will just die a very fast, PERMANENT death, taking yourimportant data with them!

I have Seagate drives that are from the 90s still going strong and ones from all the way in between now and then. For me they have been some of the most reliable out there.

All hard drive companies have failed drives (thus why RMA processes are usually so good in the HDD world). Some just have better or worse luck with certain runs. Seagate had a bump in the road, but seems to be coming back.

Seagate's Enterprise drives are phenomenal as well. I actually have never had one of their enterprise SCSI drives die on me *knocks on wood*.

I have Seagate drives that are from the 90s still going strong and ones from all the way in between now and then. For me they have been some of the most reliable out there.

All hard drive companies have failed drives (thus why RMA processes are usually so good in the HDD world). Some just have better or worse luck with certain runs. Seagate had a bump in the road, but seems to be coming back.

Seagate's Enterprise drives are phenomenal as well. I actually have never had one of their enterprise SCSI drives die on me *knocks on wood*.

Agreed, for the most part Seagate has been fairly good. I had tons of the old UW/UW2 Hawk and Barracuda series fail on me about 10 years ago, went Maxtor for a while and then WD when the 80gb drives became popular. I agree though that they had a bump in the road, heck I have had 3 7200.11 500gb drives go out on me, but for whatever reason the 1.5TB drives in 7200.11 series have been great.

Storing important data on a single hard drive, no matter what the brand, is inherently dangerous. Every single hard drive WILL fail, it is only a matter of time. If you have important data that you do not want to lose, you cant just go with brand X because you have had luck with them in the past, and assume that this drive will last too. Create a RAID array with redundancy and back your data up to multiple locations regularly if you don't want to lose it. As mentioned, the failure rates of their drives are well understood by the manufacturers which is why they have warranties.

I fully expect my Seagate drives to fail at any moment, just as I would expect any other hard drive to. That's is why I have them in a RAID 1, soon do be RAID 5 array.

Back