Sea Sonic Adds Wooting Analog Keyboards to Its Product Lineup

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Sea Sonic has signed an exclusive sales and distribution deal with Wooting, the company behind the most advanced analogue mechanical keyboard for the PC gaming market. The partnership between Sea Sonic and Wooting is the perfect fit as both companies believe in core values of innovation, performance and quality. The partnership will allow Wooting to have more visibility in international retail channels and access to Sea Sonic's dedicated marketing department. "We believe that by working with Wooting, the forerunner and the best company behind analogue input technology, Sea Sonic not only supports and invests in technology advancement, but also helps innovation reach a wider audience." - Vincent Chang, CEO of Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd.

The Wooting one keyboard is the world's first analog keyboard. It uses Flaretech optical mechanical switches to allow gamers similar usability as a controller joystick, by recognizing how far each key is pressed down. The user gets full control over in-game movement; whether it is a slight change of direction in driving games or a gradual adjustment of movement speed in shooter games. The keyboard switches are hot-swappable and the actuation point is fully adjustable within the analog range of 1.5 mm-3.6 mm, unlike the fixed distance of 2 mm found on regular mechanical keyboards.

"We feel excited to work together with Sea Sonic. Their global presence, experience and network will strengthen our weak areas as a small company. This allows us to place more focus on the future adaptations of analogue input technology, product experience and our awesome customers." - Calder Limmen, Co-founder and CEO of Wooting

I like the input system a lot - I question how much support you'll find for it, as a practical matter.

Looks pretty cool really. I don't think I personally have a need for it, as I'm pretty good with the control methods at my disposal, but interesting tech anyway.

That's pretty cool. As anyone who tried to play any racing game with a keyboard knows - it's pretty horrible. The adjustable actuation point is the one that I find most intriguing and one that as a competitive gamer like. I still like adding the O rings instead though, but the adjustable would be nice for finer changes and make a truely hair-trigger response for the keyboard.

Pretty interesting to see this tech moving forward. Now what am I going to do with my skills honed from tapping a and d to control my turning in racing games?!

I like the concept, but I wonder how it works.

I'd imagine you'd need to have a game specially designed for it?

Or could you just map a keyboard key as a analogue joystick input, if the game supports that?

Either way, this would likely have to be a dedicated gaming keyboard, with a separate one for typing. Nothing beats my Model M's for typing. Nothing.

I went and double checked. Where did you see the duration of this being one day?

giphy.gif

I use a mechanical keyboard, left hand mouse, arrow keys as my base.

I used a Model M for years, until I discovered "Key Masking".

If you're running forward, holding down KP insert for run, are jumping using the Ctrl key, then you will find that the Del key (throw grenade) doesn't work, it's masked out by the key combo.

Crysis Wars is a tough game in massive multiplayer games. :)

I bought a Rosewill RK-9000, and if you use the PS2 input, it's fully n-key rollover. (yes, this is old now, but still works great.)

It will literally report every key pressed, even if you press them all at the same time, or in any combo.

Note to gamers: using USB connections limits you to six keys at the same 'reporting instant', and it's noticeably slower.

I enjoyed the Wu-Tang reference but when I read the thread title I thought that the keyboard made the “woot” sound fx when you pushed a key.

I used a Model M for years, until I discovered "Key Masking".

If you're running forward, holding down KP insert for run, are jumping using the Ctrl key, then you will find that the Del key (throw grenade) doesn't work, it's masked out by the key combo.

I've always heard of this issue, but I guess with my custom key bindings I haven't hit on a key combination that triggers this issue.

I have used Model M's or Model M derivatives (Unicomp) exclusively for 15 years. I can't imagine using anything else for typing, and I am not sure I want to switch back and forth between a gaming keyboard and a typing keyboard...

I thought these things made a noise when pressed.

Looks nice, but wonder about the abuse it can take, I am willing to spend a bit to get good stuff.

I thought these things made a noise when pressed.

Looks nice, but wonder about the abuse it can take, I am willing to spend a bit to get good stuff.

I got my wooting one when it first came out. I'm still using it til this day. To be honest, I don't really use how it as how it's intended. I play games like Rainbow 6 Siege, and using the pressure sensitive movement with the mouse aim don't work. All due to the way the game handles xbox and mouse input settings. Works for Overwatch and Battlefield games though. Overall, the keyboard is very sturdy and has a nice heft to it. It's not plasticky and feels like a very premium keyboard.

It's still only 6 keys at once, in one usb packet, and the rep rate isn't as fast.

Try it out, there are utilities for such.

I actually tested This Keyboard that way.

PS2 is much lower latency, but you probably don't notice. :)

It's still only 6 keys at once, in one usb packet, and the rep rate isn't as fast.

Try it out, there are utilities for such.

I actually tested This Keyboard that way.

PS2 is much lower latency, but you probably don't notice. :)
There is a switch on mine to set either 6 or N-KRO. Haven't tested it. I like PS2, but I have never heard anyone complain about USB keyboard latency and more than 6-KRO is useless for 99.9999% of gamers.

Also, pretty sure this is not true analog.

It probably just interprets multiple district digital levels within the range of motion of the keys.

If this is analog, then so is a Music CD :p

Back