Scythe Slip Stream or Antec TriCool?

Zero82z

Fully [H]
So I ordered two Yate Loon fans for my recent build, but NCIX is backordered and has no ETA. I contacted a rep who said he may be able to switch my order to another set of fans, so I picked out these two based on the fact that they aren't much more expensive than the YLs I ordered and seem to perform pretty good. I'm just not sure which one of the two I should try and go with, so I'm turning to the experts for some advice :). Here are the links:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26748&vpn=SY1225SL12H&manufacture=Scythe
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17129&vpn=TRICOOL 120MM&manufacture=ANTEC

I've owned a few of the Antec Tricools. On low speed, they move a decent amount of air (~40CFM) and are whisper-quiet (<20dBa)... and they get fairly loud but move a lot of air on the high setting. Unfortunately they don't work that well when mounted sideways; they tend to stall in that case. I haven't heard too much about the Slipstreams, except that they don't produce much pressure (don't use them on your CPU HSF, for example) but I suppose they'd be fine for case fans. Just my two cents.

Well, these fans will be used as case fans so low static pressure wouldn't be much of an issue. They will be used as top exhausts specifically, so any advice regarding which one would be better for that purpose would be helpful.

I can recommend the Slipstreams. I just ordered two for a rig I'm building for someone.

The Tricools are good at Low - Med Settings. If you more silence and more CFM, I think you should try the Slipstreams. Tri-Cools look nice and can only push a certain amount of air for the noise level. It can get very hot but acoustic noises stay pretty dam low.

I say :

SlipStreams > Yate Loons (if bought from PTS) > Tri-Cools = IMO.

I've been leaning toward the SlipStreams, but the specs looked a little too good to be true. I'll send a message tomorrow to see if I can get my order switched (I certainly hope so, as I've been waiting over three weeks since the YLs have been backordered).

One of the best 12 cm fan according to SPCR is the Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12M used with a fan speed adapter like the Nexus FSA-75 or something similar.
Here's a little comparison between various, good quality 12 cm fans:

Scythe SY1225SL12M @7V - 21 dBA@1m - 890 RPM - 30 CFM
Scythe SY1225SL12M @5V - 18 dBA@1m - 720 RPM - 24 CFM
NOCTUA NF-S12-1200 @9V - 21~22 dBA@1m - 1020 RPM - 28 CFM
NOCTUA NF-S12-1200 @7V - ~20 dBA@1m - 840 RPM - 23 CFM
NOCTUA NF-S12-800 @12V - ~20 dBA@1m - 820 RPM - 22 CFM
Nexus D12SL-12 @12V - 22 dBA@1m - 1080 RPM - 29 CFM
Nexus D12SL-12 @9V - ~19 dBA@1m - 850 RPM - 23 CFM

In my next build I will use them as case fans ;)

I've gotten my order switched to the Scythe fans. Hopefully I'll get them soon.

Back