Scythe S-Flex Fans - are the ratings bullsh#t?

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
http://www.svc.com/sy-fan-sff21e.html

I was checking out quiet 120mm fans and looking primarily at 19-23 decibel fans. I look at the scythe one and their airflow is a whopping 49CFM

Now check out the nexus one:
http://www.svc.com/af12025l.html

23 decibels, and only 37CFM

The scythe has 2 less decibels, but somehow beats it by 13 CFM?

I see reviews out there for the scythe, but all of them just cover the decibel noise, and not the actual air flow. Which makes no sense to me because the whole point of buying expensive quiet fans is to get low noise with little sacrifice in output.

Anyways, does anyone have any measurements of the scythe to prove it actually moves 49CFM of air? or is it just a bunch of bull?

Check out silentpcreview.com

They rate the Scythe S-Flex, Noctua, and Nexus 120mm as the top three. However, they did their initial airflow measurements wrong. Under the revised methodology, they are saying all three give comparable CFMs at the same RPM. So basically, yes, the S-Flex CFM rating is either too high or the Nexus one is too low.

Keep in mind there are 3 versions of the S-Flex, 800 RPM, 1200 RPM, and 1600 RPM. I think the E version is the 1200 RPM fan, but not sure.

I am not sure about the actual rating, but S-flex is no doubt, one of the best case fans I've used along with the Yate Loon's.

what the hell, how did i post this in cases and case modding, meant to post it in overclocking and cooling

anyways, thanks for the replies, pretty much answered my question

S-Flex I would say meets up to the ratings. It's an incredible fan.

All fan ratings are bullsh#t... There's no standard procedure for measuring dB's or CFM, you can change any number of variables when testing that stuff so manufacturers get away w/a lot of fudging. That's where places like SPCR come in. Scythe are not the first not the worst fan makers/re-seller when it comes to this.

I have 2 kama bays. 1 fan was damaged oem on shipment so I replaced with a vantec stealth lying around. The other (scythe) is very quiet surprisingly.

Scythe has a 1900rpm variant of the S-Flex coming out soon. I have been talking with someone over at Scythe about it and they should be out this summer sometime.

Back