Scythe "MUSASHI" Twin-Fan VGA Cooler

I can't imagine it having any problems cooling. Just a matter of noise, I'd guess.

That is one chunky cooler, nice VRM cooling too. I haven't seen any reviews either.

I can't imagine that this cooler would be any louder than the stock cooler when the fans are turned up for actual cooling.
I hope some reviews show up soon because I'd really like to know how this compares with some of the other coolers out there.
The Chilla looks like an option as well, and both the Chilla and this Scythe seem to leave more room between cards for better air flow than the AC or Thermalright options.
I really wish I could find an "out the back" cooler with heat pipes, but have basically given up on that as I can only find the Akasa Vortexx which seems to have mixed reviews. If I wait long enough, hopefully AC or Thermalright will step up with a rear exhaust version. Thanks for the replys!

Not worth the money IMO.

The stock cooling on the HD4850 works fine.

If anything buy a HD4850 with better GDDR3 RAM and a better heatsink/fan.

The Toxic HD4850 is a much better choice to begin with.

The cooling may be fine, but the noise is not. I got a pair of VisionTek 4850's with the recent BestBuy to Fry's pricematch with $40 rebate for a $220 Crossfire setup. After that I saw the HIS 4850 with direct exhaust cooling and wish I could have gotten that instead. Oh well, win some.... So I've got these cards and will use them, but I do want to get more cooling/less noise. And it seems that I am not the only one looking to do so. Buying more video cards at this point is not really an option. But thanks for your input.

Not worth the money IMO.

The stock cooling on the HD4850 works fine.

If anything buy a HD4850 with better GDDR3 RAM and a better heatsink/fan.

The Toxic HD4850 is a much better choice to begin with.

So a better cooler isn't worth the money but running out and buying a new card of the same model you have is?

So a better cooler isn't worth the money but running out and buying a new card of the same model you have is?

Do you want OC potential?

Adding a fan to the HD4850 will not do much for improving performance. The stock fan works fine.

So you may have to sell your hd4850 and get a better card if you want to improve performance.

IMO money would be better spent on buying a better video card.

I bought a VisionTek HD4850 for under $100 with MIR last month.

stock cooler is fine if you don't mind your case sounding like a vacuum cleaner to make it cool as well as a GFXChilla. Currently running 2xGFXChilla on my 4870 Crossfire. I idle at 45C, load at 60C and its QUIETER than the stock cooler with default fan speed. To get the same level of cooling with the stock cooler I had to bump the fan speed to 60-65% and its WAY loud. With stock cooler at default fan speed my 4870s were 65C idle, 85C load.

Looks like a great cooler. Dual 100mm slim fans are a nice plus over your standard 92mm fans. I think this would be a great cooler for dual card set-ups.

Two 100mm fans just for the GPU is crazy! But some people like crazy I suppose. :p
It sais the RPM is variable between 800 and 2000 RPM so noise shouldn't have to be an issue. Even at full it wouldn't produce the same annoying, high-pitched whine that smaller fans like the 4850 stock fan do at high RPMs.

I was contemplating buying this cooler, but you can't do crossfire. So that killed my hope. :p

You should be able to crossfire this as its only VERY slightly bigger than 2 slots, not enough to block a expansion slot though (I think). I ordered one to replace one of my coolinks, we'll see how good it is vs the gfxchilla when it gets here on Friday.

Edit: Found a german review with a english conclusion, they use a 4870.
http://pcekspert.com/articles/622-3.html

Those temps at 880/1100 beat my GFXChilla at 780/900, even at low fan speed. Can't wait to get mine to try!

Ricey, thanks for the link. Hopes are that others will be reviewing soon. I do wonder what they had the stock fan running at for those numbers. In any event, I'm sure it was too loud for me.

So where did you purchase from? Will you please post back with results? Thanks!

I see that the 8800GTS is listed as supported, but I'm not sure if my 8800GTX's are. If these cool so much better than stock, then this one should be just perfect for my needs.

yah i'll post back initial impressions vs gfchilla and whether or not it blocks a 3rd slot. I bought mine from petratech but frozencpu also has it I think. I'll be getting it Friday or saturday.

Hey Ricey, please also post VRM temperatures once you've installed the beast :)

That's what everyone is looking for before buying a heatsink for HD4870 :p

I hope everything goes OK !!:)

sadly I probably won't be able to post accurate VRM temps since I also ordered a http://www.petrastechshop.com/cuhdcokitbyi.html
to try out.

If your worried about VRM temps the cheap but still good way is to use part of the stock cooler. The cooler can be taken apart and the bottom plate with the ram thermal pads and VRM heatsink can be used with coolers such as the GFXChilla and Musashi and I read in another forum that their max VRM temps were around 70C with it and someone here on [H] is getting 90C. I haven't tried it yet but might after I get that bolt on one to compare. Heres the thread about it here on [H].
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1352018&highlight=4870+vrm

VRM sinks don't seem to work very well with this card. My GFXChilla VRMs are around 110C (max rated for 4870) so its really terrible, which is why I ordered the iandh one.
IandH tested his custom sinks here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3251416&postcount=44

Wow thank you for the heads up! The iandh cooling looks tempting :p

I hope they work out for you just fine.

Well, I'm happy to report both the iandh and musashi is very good. With the musashi on a 4870 at 790/1100 my idle is 40C, load 51C, thats about 5-7C better than my coolink and its also quiet with fan at high speed. With the iandh my VRM temps dropped from 120C to 80C, Ram dropped from 90C to 63C compared with just using ramsinks. I think I didn't tighten it correctly though so I'll have to try tightening it more later.
Also for those that may wonder if they get this, I did use the copper spacer/shim the same way as pcekspert.com did and got similar temps as them. Basically you put paste on the core, put on the copper spacer, then put paste on the spacer, then put on the musashi. Seems to work well.

Also I should add, it is a 2 slot cooler. Its VERY SLIGHTLY bigger than a 2 slot cooler but only by 1mm or less so it DOES NOT interfere with a 3rd expansion slot. Granted, I don't recommend you stick anything in the 3rd slot anyway since the fans won't have much room to pull air from :p

That's a massive improvement man !! Am so glad the set up worked out so perfect. 80 degrees from 120 at VRMs is a dream :p

Happy OCing ;)

Back