Scythe Mugen Max vs Kotetsu?

entropism

2[H]4U
Looking to upgrade the cooling in my system from a CM 212+, and also anticipate upgrading from a 3570k to a Kaby/Coffee shortly, so I'm in the market for a new cooler. Focus is cool and QUIET while still giving me a good OC. Quieter the better.

My usual source for cooling reviews (SilentPC) is basically dead, so I figured I'd ask here. Anyone have any opinions about these two? They're within $5 of each other, with the Kotetsu being the cheaper of the two. I'll also be putting some Slipstream 120s or 140s in my case as well, which is a Corsair 400r.

Current fans are 5 Enermax UCTB12P, 2 on the Hyper 212+, 2 intake, 1 exhaust.

Last edited:
Mugen Max is better than Kotetsu. Kotetsu is similar to 212. What case do you have?

I'll also be putting some Slipstream 120s or 140s in my case as well, which is a Corsair 400r.

This one: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case

Also jumped on this deal, since they're quite close to the GlideStreams in performance/sound:

https://www.amazon.com/F12-PWM-PST-...8&qid=1499101045&sr=8-3&keywords=arctic+120mm but when I picked them up, it was $20 for 5.

Also, you sure about the Kotetsu? http://www.silentpcreview.com/Scythe_Kotetsu has it listed as one of the best out there. Slightly better than the Max, but something seems odd about it. I think peace of mind would have me go with the larger one.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Scythe_Mugen_Max_Deepcool_Lucifer_V2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
estropism, I'm going to assume you do not know that Mugen 4 and Mugen Max are not the same cooler. Both have 6x 6mm heatpipes but heatpipes are formed differently in Max with fin pack being offset back and fin pack is different size. While I have not tested them myself, people I know who have all say Mugen (6x 6mm pipes & 118x145x46mm fin pack) Max is 1-3c better cooling than Mugen 4 .. and Mugen 4 6x 6mm pipes & 115.4x130x88mm) is 1-2c better than Kotetsu 4x 6mm pipes & 116x130x58mm fin pack). As a general rule of thumb 6x pipes trumps 4x pipes.

estropism, I'm going to assume you do not know that Mugen 4 and Mugen Max are not the same cooler.

Entropism. And yes, I do know that the 4, the max, and even the 5 are all separate coolers.

Can I ask

A: why you think I don't know they're different, and

B: why you would think that the number of pipes is even relevant to how efficient something is?

As for A, is it because I listed a review on the Kotestu and the first line was talking about the 4? Or was it the review of the Max that I posted, when put on the same chart as the Kotetsu, has the max slightly outperformed by the smaller cooler?

Considering the review I posted has all 3 listed together, under the same control environments, with the order being Kotsetsu>Max>Mugen 4?

Not sure if you were trying to talk down here, but it sure came off that way.

Entropism. And yes, I do know that the 4, the max, and even the 5 are all separate coolers.

Can I ask

A: why you think I don't know they're different, and

B: why you would think that the number of pipes is even relevant to how efficient something is?

As for A, is it because I listed a review on the Kotestu and the first line was talking about the 4? Or was it the review of the Max that I posted, when put on the same chart as the Kotetsu, has the max slightly outperformed by the smaller cooler?

Considering the review I posted has all 3 listed together, under the same control environments, with the order being Kotsetsu>Max>Mugen 4?

Not sure if you were trying to talk down here, but it sure came off that way.
Yes, because you the links you posted were to different Mugen models in reviews that did have Mugen Max which is Mugen cooler you originally asked about. If you were aware of the differences I apologize.

Keep in mind 1c 'difference' in a cooler review is well within margin or error in testing. Even 2c is barely enough to say for sure one is better than another. Add to this many reviews do not use the actual air temp going into cooler, but use 'room is at 23c' The air in close proximity of test station can easily be up to 3c warmer than rest of room .. especially the air going into cooler. This is because of heat coming off of test system, lighting around test station, body heat of test personnel, etc. If testing is being done in a case it's even worse .. up to 20c warmer air going into cooler than room temp. It is quite hard to find reviews that are accurate to less than +/-1.5c.

More heatpipe crossectional volume usaully means more cooling ability .. and 6x 6mm heatpipes have 50% more cross-sectional volume to more more vapor away from heat source and to wick liquid back to heat source than 4x 6mm heatpipes .. and also 50% more surface area to radiate that heat into fins.

But like I said " As a general rule of thumb 6x pipes trumps 4x pipes." Key words here are "as a general rule". There are exceptions. Scythe Fuma for example.

Techtesters.eu says Mugen Max is 5-6c better than Kotetsu. Are you going to ask them if they are sure?

Maybe I'm the one who should be taking offense. ;)

Yes, because you the links you posted were to different Mugen models in reviews that did have Mugen Max which is Mugen cooler you originally asked about. If you were aware of the differences I apologize.

I posted 2 reviews. One for the Max, one for the Kotetsu.

Anyways...

Ended up buying the Mugen Max, and I got 5 Arctic F12 PWM fans for $20 as a clearance bundle.

When it arrives I have to debate about using the F12s, my old Scythe Gentle Typhoons (900rpm I think?), or keep my Enermax PWMs. The enermax are completely silent from where I sit, but I worry they're a little light on the air they're moving.

Last edited:
Back