Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850RPM - in stock at Sidewinder

Well, the 1850rpm gentle typhoons are rated at 55,000 hours where the cooler masters are rated at 50,000 hours so please tell me how they are so much better??? Its called your paying for the name. Not necessarily better.

Those cooler masters are sleeve bearing. They certainly won't last anywhere near 50,000 hours with no performance/noise degradation. They also do not like being mounted in any position other than a vertical one.

Those Cooler Master's are cheap and disposable fans that will last for one computer build, and not much more. The scythe fans will last through several computer builds.

If GTs are too expensive for you, just buy yate loons. Those are well tested cheap fans that still perform well.

Never buy a fan based on the manufacturer specs.

thats the problem for me exactly i have the 40$ to buy two fans.. but i can et around 6 or more for the same price.. right now im running the medium speed yate loons on my H50 radiator and i am itching to buy the gts but dont want to see the same temps if i spend 20 a fan... will it lower temps i7-2600k?

To the poster who couldn't figure out how these are quieter with a 29dba rating than other fans rated below 20dba, the H50 provides a good example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

The stock H50 fans are 1700rpm units of a traditional design like CM uses but are louder without delivering nearly the performance. The specs that manufacturers provide are pretty much worthless.

So the question is, if the specifications are useless how exactly would anyone know how to compare these fans objectively?

Nope! hehe.. FIrst quiet rig i've ever owned and will never go back to screaming super massive CFM fans again.. Even the pumps are dead quiet.

So the question is, if the specifications are useless how exactly would anyone know how to compare these fans objectively?

Independant testing with proper equipment, google is your friend ;)

Such a shame they're not offered in 140mm.

And 180mm, and 200mm, and 220mm, and 500mm, and the size of my ceiling fan.

Such a shame they're not offered in 140mm.

And 180mm, and 200mm, and 220mm, and 500mm, and the size of my ceiling fan.

I was just thinking today about the lack of GT and Panaflo options for the 140mm openings in my Elysium. A 140mm GT would be an even better fan than the 120's as that large center deadspot from the motor would be a comparatively smaller portion of the fan's surface area.

I see noiseblockers recommended pretty often in the 140mm place but I'm a bit dubious of their quality. Any recommendations until one of the quality brands steps up?

Soo, everyone keeps dissing on the CM Sickleflow, but in this round-up it was one of the best ones tested in terms of noise/airflow:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-2_16.html

:confused:

Not sure about longevity but it looks like for noise/airflow it's not a bad choice. Considering it's only like $8-10 as well.

That's still a lot for a sleeve bearing fan imo, it's good to know they're not garbage though. Yate loons are often half that price and are excellent performers.

Good deal!
If anyone else is on the fence about this product...this youtube review changed my mind and convinced me to purchase a few.

Also there is a 5% off coupon for Jab-Tech, "facebook"

This should help sweeten the deal a little.

I ended up purchasing 4 GentleTyphoon's and 1 Noctua NF-P14 Flx fan.

The thing about youtube and testing is you gotta watch for who is doing the tests. If they showing how good fan "x" is make sure that company "x" that makes fan "x" isnt doing the video. Just reinterate tho I have 6 GT's and I personally think they are quietest outta all other fans I have used. And for clarification I have a 3ft squared box full of fans.

How are the Scythes 1850prm at 28 dBa better than the Sickleflow 2000rpm at 19 dBa?
:confused:

Those Scythes are just overpriced. No reason they should cost $25 each. They are all injected molded plastic, nothing fancy

^see this reply people, this is obviously coming from a person who has never even seen one in a PC let alone owned one in his. These fans are amongst the best 120X25mm fans made, not only high airflow and low noise but can live as long if not longer then a 30-40$ server fan.

I was just thinking today about the lack of GT and Panaflo options for the 140mm openings in my Elysium. A 140mm GT would be an even better fan than the 120's as that large center deadspot from the motor would be a comparatively smaller portion of the fan's surface area.

I see noiseblockers recommended pretty often in the 140mm place but I'm a bit dubious of their quality. Any recommendations until one of the quality brands steps up?

120mm to 140mm adapters off of ebay.

120mm to 140mm adapters off of ebay.

Meh, the case will mount 120's directly, its just not maximizing the surface area potential. However, given the currently available 140mm options, I think you are better off with just a GT or Panny 120 as opposed to a lower grade 140.

Hopefully Scythe or Panaflo will see the market potential there and step up to the plate.

Have looked for SIMPLE 120 to 140mm adapters several times and never found anything. Something thin....

Thing I never understood was the slipstreams moved a lot more cfm for the same rated RPM. I tried some 800 rpm GT's to replace my slipstreams and they were a joke. Great noise though. I should have tried the 1150rpm version to get about the same airlfow as the 800 rpm slipstream.. I will have to give these a try again. The 800rpm sythe moves 40cfm.. and the 800rpm GT moves ~25cfm.. if my M3h to cfm conversion is right. I of course would not compare these two in terms of quality.. the GT is a very well made fan.

Thing I never understood was the slipstreams moved a lot more cfm for the same rated RPM. I tried some 800 rpm GT's to replace my slipstreams and they were a joke. Great noise though. I should have tried the 1150rpm version to get about the same airlfow as the 800 rpm slipstream.. I will have to give these a try again. The 800rpm sythe moves 40cfm.. and the 800rpm GT moves ~25cfm.. if my M3h to cfm conversion is right. I of course would not compare these two in terms of quality.. the GT is a very well made fan.
Are you comparing CFM specs or your subjective feel of air on your hand when you said the GT didn't do well? Slipstreams may be fine for moving air around in your case (until the bearing dies) but have nil for static pressure and make awful heatsink or rad fans.

Are you comparing CFM specs or your subjective feel of air on your hand when you said the GT didn't do well? Slipstreams may be fine for moving air around in your case (until the bearing dies) but have nil for static pressure and make awful heatsink or rad fans.

I was comparing actual specs.. as far as feel.. yes you could feel a big difference. I know they arent as good with static pressure.. I was using them as case fans at the time. Also I had two die on me while I had them. They didn't live long.

not sure but I think this shows that the GT has the best noise vs flow (only one under 40dba in the top 20)

1190xex.jpg

That would seem so, yes. Although there are others that are close as well. That graph would be more meaningful IMO if they only compared fans of one size (e.g. 120mm, 140mm, etc.)

so from that graph posted im loking at need radiator fans two or four the gts if i want extra quiet but if i dont care about about sound and want the best air moving fan what would you get FOR A RAADITOR

Back