Scythe Fuma 2 - should I use the y splitter?

I’ve got two headers for CPU fans on my motherboard but a Y-splitter will be included when my new cooler arrives. Would both fans be treated as one if I used the splitter or would I need to use the two separate headers to control each fan individually?

If you use a y cable splitter, both fans would receive the same (PWM/Voltage) control signal, and only one of the two fans would report their RPM to the motherboard.

If you use a y cable splitter, both fans would receive the same (PWM/Voltage) control signal, and only one of the two fans would report their RPM to the motherboard.
Awesome thanks for the quick response

I use the y cable on mine, I imagine the reverse spin fan thing works best when they run the same which is easiest to do with 1 signal.

What’s the reverse spin fan thing?

Site

The Fuma 2 CPU cooler comes with two fans, a Kaze Flex 120 and a Kaze Flex Slim 120, which rotate in opposite directions. This creates a higher static pressure and an increased and more stable air flow. Furthermore a third fan can be mounted for extra power. Additional fan brackets are included.

The slimmer fan that is meant to be mounted on the outside of the heatsink is oriented like a typical fan (blades scoop and spin counter-clockwise, assuming it is the initial push fan), while the thicker one that goes in the middle of the fin stack is actually made with a reversed layout, with blades oriented (and the hub spinning) in the opposite direction to maintain the same direction of airflow.

Last edited:

Curious, I have a Noctua NH-D15. Due to ram clearance, i had to get rid of one of the 140mm fans and i replaced it with an A12x25, a 120mm fan. So my CPU cooler has both a 140mm and 120mm fan, connected via a Y Splitter, going into the same CPU Fan header.

In Bios, if I send a 40% PWM signal, that means the 140mm is going at 40% and the 120mm is going at 40%. In effect, the 140 will be putting out more air, but at more noise.

Hmm doing a bit of research, I see that my mobo has a 3rd fan header. What would be gained if I plugged this A12x25 into the fan header instead of the cpu header? A bit more optimization? Would this lead to anything ground breaking in cooling or noise?

Last edited:
Trying to use a 120mm fan with 140mm fan and get similar airflow from both is problematic. Even if you were to succeed we are talking same temps at same noise level with maybe 2c lower temp at full speed with about 3dB higher noise level.

So its easier just to keep them on the same Y splitter? I'm fine with my temps/noise right now as is

Back