Scumbag ASUS: Overvolting CPUs & Screwing the Customer

Hoping to see parity on how we treat one manufacturer vs another, but who are we kidding here. This manufacturer is the golden child. :coffee:
Yes! I'm all about having competition out here in the PC world, but when one is made out to be the villain while the other is the "underdog" constantly it gets old. Neither of them care just as long as they stay competitive and bring in the big bucks. I think competition to stay in front is partly why this issue is coming to light to be honest.

1684712766210.png

Last edited:
Well, I for one am glad they didn't bring in a half lawyer! That could've got messy!!
What about a paralegal or Juris Doctor without having taken or passed the BAR

Though ChatGPT can pass the Bar

So basically, what they are saying is that AMD CPUs are blowing up by themselves as their internal SOC Voltage (SVI3 interface) is in fact 1.3 and in spec. Glad Gigabyte is defending themselves here and putting the ball squarely back in AMDs court.

And before anyone says it, this is not an ASUS only issue, reports of CPUs bulging on Gigabyte boards have been reported. This is indeed an AMD issue.

Hoping to see parity on how we treat one manufacturer vs another, but who are we kidding here. This manufacturer is the golden child. :coffee:
Another master class at conflating issues.

If Boeing makes a faulty engine and Delta addresses AND CORRECTS the issue and offers refunds while Frontier ignores the issue, doesn't correct the problem, and does not offer refunds is Boeing to blame for Frontier being more irresponsible than Delta?

GN took measurements below the socket by the way.

Also some people seem confused here that Newegg is US based company and Asus is Taiwan based.

The new Asus statement is great but came too late.

Another master class at conflating issues.

If Boeing makes a faulty engine and Delta addresses AND CORRECTS the issue and offers refunds while Frontier ignores the issue, doesn't correct the problem, and does not offer refunds is Boeing to blame for Frontier being more irresponsible than Delta?

GN took measurements below the socket by the way.

Also some people seem confused here that Newegg is US based company and Asus is Taiwan based.

The new Asus statement is great but came too late.
Another master class at deflecting blame. The issue lies at the very hardware level in AMDs CPUs. Which they then turn around and give their board partners the wrong information concerning voltage on top of flat out not having proper protections in place in their agesa code that they give board partners.

Stop giving faceless corporations that don't give two flying fucks about you yet another pass.

Last edited:
Another master class at deflecting blame. The issue lies at the very hardware level in AMDs CPUs. Which they then turn around and give their board partners the wrong information concerning voltage on top of flat out not having proper protections in place in their agesa code that they give board partners.

Stop giving faceless corporations that don't give two flying fucks about you yet another pass.

Man you get so much wrong and pretend you know what your talking about.

If it was a hardware or AGESA issue then all boards would have this issue with cooking the Ryzen chips. Yet ASUS boards are the ones people are having trouble with and ASUS got caught overvolting way past AMD spec on SOC voltage and tried to deny it, this is a motherboard bios issue. ASUS deserves the lion share of the blame and AMD needs to watch their board partners more closely, but this game with voltage stretching has been going on for years, it just finally caused serious issues. AMD has also replaced the chips that have been fried due to this issue, which is what they should do and they released a updated AGESA to deal with it. Cars used to not have rev limiters because they didn't think people would rev them to oblivion, didn't take them long to realize that was a bad idea. I am sure AMD thought no one would push it this hard on the voltage, now they know better.

Also why do you care about this issue anyway, since we all know you would never own anything AMD?

Man you get so much wrong and pretend you know what your talking about.

If it was a hardware or AGESA issue then all boards would have this issue with cooking the Ryzen chips. Yet ASUS boards are the ones people are having trouble with and ASUS got caught overvolting way past AMD spec on SOC voltage and tried to deny it, this is a motherboard bios issue. ASUS deserves the lion share of the blame and AMD needs to watch their board partners more closely, but this game with voltage stretching has been going on for years, it just finally caused serious issues. AMD has also replaced the chips that have been fried due to this issue, which is what they should do and they released a updated AGESA to deal with it. Cars used to not have rev limiters because they didn't think people would rev them to oblivion, didn't take them long to realize that was a bad idea. I am sure AMD thought no one would push it this hard on the voltage, now they know better.

Also why do you care about this issue anyway, since we all know you would never own anything AMD?
The only one wrong here is you. CPUs have bloated amd blown up in Gigabyte boards as well. Gigabyte even had to come out and defend themselves and correct techtubers on their misreporting of Gigabyte voltage being out of spec when it is in fact in spec. I suggest you educate yourself just a bit more on the actual issue.

Take the blinders off and look around.

The only one wrong here is you. CPUs have bloated amd blown up in Gigabyte boards as well. Gigabyte even had to come out and defend themselves and correct techtubers on their misreporting of Gigabyte voltage being out of spec when it is in fact in spec. I suggest you educate yourself just a bit more on the actual issue.

Take the blinders off and look around.

Its the bios on the motherboard causing the issue, thus the recent bios releases from Gigabyte and ASUS. Or you can believe the PR from the motherboard companies.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/asus-...ssues-causing-the-melting-of-ryzen-7000-cpus/

Its the bios on the motherboard causing the issue, thus the recent bios releases from Gigabyte and ASUS. Or you can believe the PR from the motherboard companies.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/asus-...ssues-causing-the-melting-of-ryzen-7000-cpus/

Just more of the usual anti AMD crusade under the misconception that people here let AMD get away with anything and everything.
Since both of you seem un-educated about the issue. Gigabyte clearly states they worked with AMD on this. This puts the ball squarely in AMDs court, and AMD would have responded if it were not true.

Read it for yourselves and stop being a corporation's unpaid lapdog. :coffee:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/2079

Since both of you seem un-educated about the issue. Gigabyte clearly states they worked with AMD on this. This puts the ball squarely in AMDs court, and AMD would have responded if it were not true.

Read it for yourselves and stop being a corporation's unpaid lapdog. :coffee:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/2079

Maybe try reading what they posted.

"The latest beta BIOS provides a more secure range of SOC voltage settings to reduce the risk of CPU damage due to over-voltage settings."

Maybe try reading what they posted.

"The latest beta BIOS provides a more secure range of SOC voltage settings to reduce the risk of CPU damage due to over-voltage settings."
You really don't know how to read press releases, do you? That says, "even though it was working correctly because we work with AMD on this, we released an updated bios to make sure and ease your fears".

You really don't know how to read press releases, do you? That says, "even though it was working correctly because we work with AMD on this, we released an updated bios to make sure and ease your fears".

Mine was a actual quote from your link, your quote does not exist in that press release. See below and see if you can find that quote.

GIGABYTE Motherboards with Updated BIOS Ensure You the Reliable Performance of Ryzen™ 7000X3D CPUs
Apr 26, 2023
April 26th, 2023 – Since the highly-expected AMD Ryzen™ 7000X3D-series CPUs launched by AMD, GIGABYTE has provided the best quality AM5 motherboards to unleash the performance of these best gaming processors. GIGABYTE always work closely with AMD to ensure our motherboard design within AMD’s guidelines and provide supreme performance with reliability from all aspect. To consistently deliver the most remarkable and solid platform, GIGABYTE release the new beta BIOS regarding to the recent concerns of potential motherboard damaged issues with Ryzen™ 7000X3D-series CPUs.

The latest beta BIOS provides a more secure range of SOC voltage settings to reduce the risk of CPU damage due to over-voltage settings. Meanwhile, through the GIGABYTE exclusive Performance Bung in the BIOS option, users can easily optimize the tuning process of CPU voltage setting, while obtain the optimal CPU voltage by AMD PBO2 option, which both help to unleash the foremost performance of Ryzen™ 7000 X3D CPUs.

The latest beta BIOS is available now, please visit the GIGABYTE website to download for the optimal performance.

the amount fed to the chip is dictated by the VRMs, leaving a means for crafty motherboard vendors to allow voltage changes despite AMD's lock (this would not be the first time motherboard vendors have circumvented limits to offer rare functionalities).

"Our sources say that AMD is working on a fix that includes a voltage cap or lock in the firmware/SMU, which should prevent EXPO memory profiles and simple BIOS manipulations from exceeding an as-yet-undefined limit. We're also told that AMD can't completely prevent SoC voltage manipulations because the amount fed to the chip is dictated by the VRMs, leaving a means for crafty motherboard vendors to allow voltage changes despite AMD's lock (this would not be the first time motherboard vendors have circumvented limits to offer rare functionalities).

A few motherboard vendors, like ASUS and MSI, have already issued new BIOSes to correct some of the issues. However, we have confirmed that failures have also occurred on Biostar, ASRock, and Gigabyte boards, so all vendors are impacted to some degree"

Mine was a actual quote from your link, your quote does not exist in that press release. See below and see if you can find that quote.

GIGABYTE Motherboards with Updated BIOS Ensure You the Reliable Performance of Ryzen™ 7000X3D CPUs
Apr 26, 2023
April 26th, 2023 – Since the highly-expected AMD Ryzen™ 7000X3D-series CPUs launched by AMD, GIGABYTE has provided the best quality AM5 motherboards to unleash the performance of these best gaming processors. GIGABYTE always work closely with AMD to ensure our motherboard design within AMD’s guidelines and provide supreme performance with reliability from all aspect. To consistently deliver the most remarkable and solid platform, GIGABYTE release the new beta BIOS regarding to the recent concerns of potential motherboard damaged issues with Ryzen™ 7000X3D-series CPUs.

The latest beta BIOS provides a more secure range of SOC voltage settings to reduce the risk of CPU damage due to over-voltage settings. Meanwhile, through the GIGABYTE exclusive Performance Bung in the BIOS option, users can easily optimize the tuning process of CPU voltage setting, while obtain the optimal CPU voltage by AMD PBO2 option, which both help to unleash the foremost performance of Ryzen™ 7000 X3D CPUs.

The latest beta BIOS is available now, please visit the GIGABYTE website to download for the optimal performance.
Legal speak, I guess you don't know how to read it? But here, let me show you something you misread for sure.

GIGABYTE release the new beta BIOS regarding to the recent concerns of potential motherboard damaged issues with Ryzen™ 7000X3D-series CPUs
Noticed they said nothing about the board damaging the CPU, but instead noted the motherboard becoming damaged.

Take all the time you need to think about that line.
There is no language in that press release that assigns fault, takes responsibility, nor condemns nor indemnifies any party, Gigabyte or AMD, and legal made sure of that.
This guy gets it. Learn to read between the lines on these bland press releases.

the amount fed to the chip is dictated by the VRMs, leaving a means for crafty motherboard vendors to allow voltage changes despite AMD's lock (this would not be the first time motherboard vendors have circumvented limits to offer rare functionalities).

"Our sources say that AMD is working on a fix that includes a voltage cap or lock in the firmware/SMU, which should prevent EXPO memory profiles and simple BIOS manipulations from exceeding an as-yet-undefined limit. We're also told that AMD can't completely prevent SoC voltage manipulations because the amount fed to the chip is dictated by the VRMs, leaving a means for crafty motherboard vendors to allow voltage changes despite AMD's lock (this would not be the first time motherboard vendors have circumvented limits to offer rare functionalities).

A few motherboard vendors, like ASUS and MSI, have already issued new BIOSes to correct some of the issues. However, we have confirmed that failures have also occurred on Biostar, ASRock, and Gigabyte boards, so all vendors are impacted to some degree"
While most of this press release is fabulous by AMD, the fact that they are literally throwing all their board partners under the "crafty motherboard vendors" while then stating "all vendors are impacted to some degree" is pretty tasteless.

While most of this press release is fabulous by AMD, the fact that they are literally throwing all their board partners under the "crafty motherboard vendors" while then stating "all vendors are impacted to some degree" is pretty tasteless.

Nice story bro, please tell us more. Vendors jacked the voltage to the sky beyonds specs to get better performance in reviews and got burned. End of story. Bur I'm sure your anti AMD crusade will continue until you die.

Nice story bro, please tell us more. Vendors jacked the voltage to the sky beyonds specs to get better performance in reviews and got burned.
Sure they do, that's why intel CPUs are blowing up all over the place. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, are you saying that AMD CPUs in reality have worse performance then? o_O
1684807123249.png

This sort of statement is a KYA thing; "all vendors are impacted" can mean as little as "all vendors will get the new software and rules, whether or not they were over-volting and burning up parts."

Even if, let's just assume for the argument, that ONLY Asus and Gigabyte broke the rules and this led to fried parts, AMD will take the hit and say it's a small, but wider-spread problem, rather than have only the guilty parties take fault, just so that they don't go Intel-only. AMD needs Asus and Gigabyte since they're the halo motherboard manufacturers. Without them, I mean, just look at what we've said about ASRock in this thread already. People don't associate them with quality, even in this argument where they may be a better manufacturer than Asus.

This is a no-win situation for everyone, so they're all going to quietly clean things up and maybe 10 years from know someone will spill the beans.

This sort of statement is a KYA thing; "all vendors are impacted" can mean as little as "all vendors will get the new software and rules, whether or not they were over-volting and burning up parts."

That's Toms shooting their generalized mouth off, not a statement from AMD.

Go back and read the article again. slower this time.

I foresee a future where they move the VRM's onto the CPU package :p

Sure they do, that's why intel CPUs are blowing up all over the place. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, are you saying that AMD CPUs in reality have worse performance then? o_O
View attachment 572024

AMD's X3D designs are more sensitive to overvolting and overclocking than Intel and non-X3D designs. We've known this since the first X3D chips came out.

Pretty sure the motherboard vendors have been playing fast and loose with the voltages for a LONG time on both AMD and Intel platforms, and just continued doing so for X3D chips, despite it being well known that they really can't tolerate being run out of spec by much.

Is that AMD's fault for designing a CPU with all the benefits of an X3D chip despite it being more sensitive? I'd argue no. New solutions are going to have varying degrees of voltage sensitivity.

The truth is that X3D chips absolutely need to be run in spec, and Asus and Gigabyte just didn't give a fuck. It has always worked before, so why should we care now?

The only solution here is to adhere to the spec like it is a goddamn religion, and it is clear the board makers haven't.

Different paragraph from where the AMD source was discussed. It's the author's ASSUMPTION.

Look, Tom's is doing some KYA. They have sources to protect, editorial slants to hide, and internal interests to promote.

>t.I'm a fucking journalist and I used to work in the tech sector, I can read through all the bullshit because I've written the exact same bullshit, I'm just trying to point out bullshit where I see it

I'm not saying there's a good guy here. I'm just conveying where the language is deliberately vague; they can't possibly know how many cases there are, either by unintention or wrong-doing, so they're going to say "everyone's affected" no matter what, because, in the most simple of ways, they are. All boards that support these CPUs are affected, even if it's just a misinformed consumer base.

AMD's X3D designs are more sensitive to overvolting and overclocking than Intel and non-X3D designs. We've known this since the first X3D chips came out.
And yet I've heard people complain about how they can't push an X3D chip like a normal one and why is the tdp lower, etc etc. I think one of my favorites was claiming AMD is gimping performance by keeping the voltages lower. Like did people really forget everything about the 5800X3D?

Look, Tom's is doing some KYA. They have sources to protect, editorial slants to hide, and internal interests to promote.

>t.I'm a fucking journalist and I used to work in the tech sector, I can read through all the bullshit because I've written the exact same bullshit, I'm just trying to point out bullshit where I see it

I'm not saying there's a good guy here. I'm just conveying where the language is deliberately vague; they can't possibly know how many cases there are, either by unintention or wrong-doing, so they're going to say "everyone's affected" no matter what, because, in the most simple of ways, they are. All boards that support these CPUs are affected, even if it's just a misinformed consumer base

So maybe All the MB vendors did boost the shit out of the CPU. How would that be shocking? We need to be clear - its the MBs not the CPU. Vendors have been doing it for years. They finally got bit in the ass, That much is obvious.

Last edited:
Back