scsi or sataII

stunning

Limp Gawd
I can get this for really cheap. ($25 dollars)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...age=Model&modelReqTab=Reviews&vgnextrefresh=1

now what do i need to get this up and running?

Should i set this up in my rig or should I just go for a raptor x?

Im trying to find a solution to my current rig, in which i need a bigger hard drive space
I have 2 hd right now, 1 36gb raptor 10k rpm hard drive, and 1 500 gb 7200rpm, 16mb cache hard drive.

I noticed that vista takes a lot of memory and my 36gb wont do the job anymore. I like having a separate hard drive for my windows and install programs, rather than having multiple partitions.

I am looking for a cost efficient and performance wise solution to my problem.

If you have any other recommendations please post.

fixed

if u are using your rig for gaming i suggest u stick with SATA2, cuz Ultra Wide scsi-3 can get a little pricy

I concur. if its a gaming rig go sata. I'd possibly think scsi if it was meant for storage but ...

sata

well i mean the hard drive for 25 dollars, can i really say no?

how much would the controller cost me? Im looking for a cost effective alternative to buying a raptor.

I am really a power hungry guy for my computer.

Here is a comparison of the two drives you mentioned. I picked up a PCI-X U160 controller that worked fine in a PCI slot for $35 off [H]ard|Forums. (The drive doesn't transfer at over 100MB/s, so why use an interface or card that does?) The SCSI drive is better when multiple people are accessing it. The Raptor is better for everything else... Now if you were comparing a 15K SCSI drive to the Raptor, I'd say to get the SCSI drive, hands down. But, looking at the numbers, the Raptor comes out on top.

I linked two versions of the Raptor for a reason. The Raptor X has a pretty window and half the MTBF of the regular Rapor. Personally, I'd be more comfortable with the Raptor over the Raptor X.

could anyone help me find a suitable controller for this hard drive?

I really dont know much and i tried ebay, but there we a lot of 68 pin controller cards.

Im trying to find a solution to get this hard drive up and running for less than 75 dollars total including the hard drive itself. So i got about 50 dollars to spend on a controller card...

Im trying to find a solution to get this hard drive up and running for less than 75 dollars total including the hard drive itself. So i got about 50 dollars to spend on a controller card...

LSI Logic LSI20320A-R ... try searching eBay for LSI20320*

Best cheap setup I could spec.

HDD - U320 74 GB 8 MB cache 10K
HBA - PCI-X U320, will work in your 32-bit 66 mhz slot (PCI 2.2). It's truly designed though for a 133 mhz 64-bit slot (PCI-X).

Total cost: $249

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need to ask, you need a SATA drive.

This screams for SATA.

isnt this 68 pin?

I have a 80 pin scsi hard drive i believe

Then you need a 80 -> 68 pin adaptor. 80 pin is for hotswap, there are no 80 pin cables or 80 pin SCSI controllers.. All SCSI controllers are 50 or 68 pin.

so i slap this on the hard drive and buy a 68pin wire and connect it from this card to the scsi controller?

are drivers a pain to deal with when installing a scsi hard drive?

I can get this for really cheap. ($25 dollars)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...age=Model&modelReqTab=Reviews&vgnextrefresh=1

now what do i need to get this up and running?

Should i set this up in my rig or should I just go for a raptor x?

Im trying to find a solution to my current rig, in which i need a bigger hard drive space
I have 2 hd right now, 1 36gb raptor 10k rpm hard drive, and 1 500 gb 7200rpm, 16mb cache hard drive.

I noticed that vista takes a lot of memory and my 36gb wont do the job anymore. I like having a separate hard drive for my windows and install programs, rather than having multiple partitions.

If you have any other recommendations please post.

fixed

i'm also in the same situation as you. I currently have a Seagate Cheetah 15k.4 146gb and an Adaptec 39320 SCSI card. Also, i have a WD740GD.

THinking of which one to use for my main workstation which i would want maximum performance. However, from Storage Review's results, it shows that the Raptor is still better at single user level. The best SCSI for single user would be the Fujitsu MAU 15k SCSI drives.

but hey a 74gb hard drive thats 10k rpm for ~60 dollars isnt too bad (thats with all the extra parts I am going to have to buy)

Back