Scroll button under Slackware does not work

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I've tried searching just about every combination of "Linux" "mwheel" "scrollbutton" "scroll button" and "mouse wheel" one can imagine, and I still can't find a previous thread on the forums here regarding getting the scroll button to work under Linux. I've googled the same and I've found a couple mods a person can do to xorg.conf but whenever I try them it just makes the mouse freak out and go everywhere except where I want it to go, and it'd be pointless to click cause it's always stuck to a side of the screen. But I had sense enough to make a .backup and did a cp over it.

I'm either doing something wrong with the suggested changes I find or they're just not going to work with this mouse.

I'm using the latest Slackware (literally downloaded, burned it and installed it yesterday) and I'm using a Logitech Dual Optical Mouse connected via USB. Pressing down on the scrollwheel for the typical third button function does have an effect, depending on what program I'm in. But rolling the wheel up or down results in nothing in any program where vertical scrolling is possible.

I've tried to eliminate the possibility that it's the mouse by using a Logitech MX518 as well. I've found that the on-the-fly adjustment buttons work just great! But no other buttons seem to have a function. I've also used a generic mouse with scroll wheel via USB and it doesn't work. Connecting via PS/2 had the same results.

All drivers to my knowledge are current, perhaps with the exception of the Nvidia Chipset driver for my motherboard. My sound works and obviously so does my ethernet, so I'm not sure if I even need a change.

I'm wondering if the GUI I'm using has anything to do with it. If that's the scenario I'm running KDE. (Yes, yes, I know, please don't flame me. It's what I'm most familiar with and what I'm least likely to screw up)

And if you need a list of my hardware:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2.0GHz
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939
BFG GeForceFX 5500 OC (latest Nvidia driver installed)
Onboard sound
1GB Corsair (2x512MB) TwinX w/ platinum heat spreaders
200GB Maxtor main/master HDD
120GB Western Digital slave HDD
Lite-On 32x CD-RW

Dual booting Win2K Pro and Slackware 10.2 using LILO

You can try the classical method:
Open /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf , whichever you have. (XF86Config-4 is also a possibility.)

Find the Section "InputDevice" for your mouse.
Add this line:
Code:
Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Save, restart X (Ctrl-Alt.Backspace will kill it, most likely followed by your login manager appearing), and see if it helped.

If it works, great.
If it freaks out, somewthing strange is going on, since this should not cause that.
If nothing happens, you have to use another driver.

To try another driver:
Open the file, find the right section. Find the line with Option "Protocol" "something". The "something"-part is the driver. Make a note of what's there, then try "imps/2" instead.
If that's what already there, try adding a new line that says "Buttons 5" (sans quotes).

What HHunt said should do it...

On Slackware 10.1, I added/changed the following on my xorg.conf:
Changed protocol to IMPS/2
Added: Option "Buttons" "5"
Added: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

log out of KDE, and a "startx" should do it.

Well it took a few practices and tries, but I got it. Here's what I got working, in case anyone needs it for future reference (including myself if I suddenly screw something up, as this is my first real time that I've used Linux without anyone holding my hand and I am only calling upon others when I am truly at a loss)

Code:
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option     "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
    Option     "Protocol"            "IMPS/2"

I will note though that the side button hasn't worked yet, but I'm happy as it is. I don't really use it all that often anyway, but it's handy to have instead of hitting the back button on Firefox or hitting alt+leftarrowkey. Plus I don't have any apps as of current that will take advantage of it

You could also change...

Code:
Option     "ZAxisMapping"        "4 5"
to
Code:
Option     "ZAxisMapping"        "6 7"
...and see if that fixes the problem. :)

Back