Script for Cisco Switch Configuration?

Keetha

Limp Gawd
I have about 60 Cisco 6509 that my boss makes me make changes on from time to time. Basically, I want to find a way to automatically telnet into each one and do the commands. They are running CatOS.

set tacacs server 10.x.x.x primary
set tacacs server 10.x.x.x
set tacacs key XXXXX
clear tacacs server 10.x.x.x

set ip permit 10.x.x.x snmp

This is my latest batch. Any suggestions?

Ciscoworks Resource Manager Essentials would be perfect for this. I think Solarwinds also has a comparable solution called Cirrus (something).

Haha, so I saw you say Ciscoworks and I remembered... "Hey, we have two Ciscoworks servers. What the hell are they though?" So I go ask a coworker and he says that yeah we have them and they do exactly what I was doing, but that the software is unreliable, hard to use, and slower than doing it by hand. Plus it doesn't work on a box with SP4 installed. So, I'm gonna go mess around with that program, but in the mean time, any other suggestions?

Keetha said:
Haha, so I saw you say Ciscoworks and I remembered... "Hey, we have two Ciscoworks servers. What the hell are they though?" So I go ask a coworker and he says that yeah we have them and they do exactly what I was doing, but that the software is unreliable, hard to use, and slower than doing it by hand. Plus it doesn't work on a box with SP4 installed. So, I'm gonna go mess around with that program, but in the mean time, any other suggestions?

What version do you have? I use Ciscoworks LMS 2.5.1 managing 2,000 + network devices. Other than DFM everything is rock solid.

If you are any good with Linux scripting you could easily create a script using the "expect" command to login to the routers. run the commands and disconnect. Then just make it run that sequence for a list of IP's. I've done this when I was admining multiple machines, not routers, but it is the same concept.

RANCID can do this for you. It is designed to telnet/ssh into routers/switches, and do commands like 'show run' and 'show ver', and then store the output, but it includes all the framework to do batches of commands.

Keetha said:

Ciscoworks is only as good as the time you put into it.. It's like any other comples network management tool. It takes people and time to run it. If it's support and use by management is to do it in your spare time, which is useualy the case it will run like you described it.

It might be worth your time to see if you can get the latest versions, as well as use TAC to fix any issues with it.

we run ciscoworks but mostly to manage our wan
(lan campus globally is nortel)

they have a nice little app (cli manager) that allows you to telnet/ssh into multiple boxes (passport 8600s for example) and those multiple sessions mux into 1 console window.

so you can issue a single command that gets instructed to every device you are connected to.

is this possible with ciscoworks?

Yup, also a ciscoworks shop here.. (I actually run it in a VM). However..

Kiwi Cattools is a cheap way of doing it also. Obviously you probably need to buy the enterprise version, but its probably not that much (relative to ciscoworks)

SYN ACK said:
we run ciscoworks but mostly to manage our wan
(lan campus globally is nortel)

they have a nice little app (cli manager) that allows you to telnet/ssh into multiple boxes (passport 8600s for example) and those multiple sessions mux into 1 console window.

so you can issue a single command that gets instructed to every device you are connected to.

is this possible with ciscoworks?

Yes. Its called NetConfig on RME.

Back