Screwing around with an LCD...

Well if anyone is wondering where to find some cheap LCDs I found a couple monitors at my local Target for 64.50. looks like they are just getting rid of them. I bought the last two at my store. I am awaiting the how-to, or I just may have to figure it out myself :p

Was going to keep mine outside the case so i can keep them portable.

I picked up one similar to that. It's a Necvox M5000, but there's not much info out on it that I can find. Mainly, I'm wondering how to change from the 9 pin round connector to something usable. For $40, I figured it would be fine to experiment with. User selectable display (NTSC/PAL), and V1/V2 switches on the side. The LCD is a Toshiba, but I'm having trouble finding the pinouts for each pin in the 9 pin connector. I figured out the power pins for the LCD and backlight, but I'm having trouble with the video input ones.

A link to the one I got: Necvox M5000

Any ideas?

Originally posted by ProjectTwin
I'm going to work on the VGA thing tonight...been freakishly busy lately.

neener neener neener I beat you :p

lcd3.jpg

lcd4.jpg

lcd5.jpg

lcd6.jpg

lcd7.jpg

not done yet, making another more shielded cable and using a disconnect....Also need to add that 270ohm resistor, I just am curious as to where I add it!

If the screen looks like that with the VGA input, can we get a close up picture of what it looks like with the regular composite input with the same screen shot. Just to compare ;)

Originally posted by jace055
If the screen looks like that with the VGA input, can we get a close up picture of what it looks like with the regular composite input with the same screen shot. Just to compare ;)

well, yes and no. I could do it, but it takes more playing around with the ATI drivers, and right now I have it configured differently for testing.

DVD composite in

lcd1.jpg

still playing with the text clarity, added a v-sync signal wire, still not satisfied though.

lcd8.jpg

He-he.

Found out today I have to go to Cali the 30th of this month, so I ended up working out plans to fly out there, working on a few webpages for MaxxTraxx, typing up bits and pieces of a couple of articles, and fell asleep at the keyboard. :(

Right shoulder is killing me.

Ugh.

Off to bed.

Congrats on the VGA mod. My first time around it worked for shit. Seems everyone on the forum I linked to says "it works, it works", but damned if I could finagle it to work. Maybe it's my GF2 that's not allowing it?

I see the arcade display and interlaced is ticked.....no clue.

Maybe tomorrow.

Originally posted by ProjectTwin
He-he.

Found out today I have to go to Cali the 30th of this month, so I ended up working out plans to fly out there, working on a few webpages for MaxxTraxx, typing up bits and pieces of a couple of articles, and fell asleep at the keyboard. :(

Right shoulder is killing me.

Ugh.

Off to bed.

Congrats on the VGA mod. My first time around it worked for shit. Seems everyone on the forum I linked to says "it works, it works", but damned if I could finagle it to work. Maybe it's my GF2 that's not allowing it?

I see the arcade display and interlaced is ticked.....no clue.

Maybe tomorrow.

yea, but do you have Composite Sync? if not, you need to just dump the Gf2 and get a Matrox G200, much less hassle and better quality than building a circuit that combines h-sync and v-sync

ahaha all the work you people are doing.. ive had a psone lcd for like 6 months now collecting dust and it has a composite video in connector that works flawlessly, no work required :) just need to find something original to do with it since everyone and their grandma is screweing with these things now :)

I have a question about scavaging LCDs. I have a Gameboy Advance that is geing pretty old (I bought it four months before it came state side, it's the japanese version) and I was wondering if I could use the LCD. I read the FAQ and it doesn't really give many details so I though to ask, I figure that it isn't very different then the PS1 LCD but when it comes to LCDs I'm a n00b. What are you guys thoughs about it?

Originally posted by Techx
ahaha all the work you people are doing.. ive had a psone lcd for like 6 months now collecting dust and it has a composite video in connector that works flawlessly, no work required :) just need to find something original to do with it since everyone and their grandma is screweing with these things now :)

umm I had mine running composite in 5 min after I got it, if you actually RTFT you'd know that I am running RGB into the lcd from my Matrox card.....not some shitty composite TV-out signal. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mr.Shifty
umm I had mine running composite in 5 min after I got it, if you actually RTFT you'd know that I am running RGB into the lcd from my Matrox card.....not some shitty composite TV-out signal. :rolleyes:

Score one for Shifty.

rofl.

Originally posted by vr6r
sin... 64.50?! what kinda monitors are those???

the Sony brand psOne monitor.

5" 64.50 was on clearance.

good work guys. I was in NYC over the weekend havent had time to fool around with it yet.

Originally posted by Mr.Shifty

hah i dont have the time to read every word in a thread :)
Besides.. to me your results with rgb dont look any better than the composite

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
I have a question about scavaging LCDs. I have a Gameboy Advance that is geing pretty old (I bought it four months before it came state side, it's the japanese version) and I was wondering if I could use the LCD. I read the FAQ and it doesn't really give many details so I though to ask, I figure that it isn't very different then the PS1 LCD but when it comes to LCDs I'm a n00b. What are you guys thoughs about it?

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"

It'd take around $200 for an LCD controller to use it. Not worth it.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil

Isnt this covered in the LCD FAQ?

Q: I'd like to hack the LCD from a GameBoy into my case somehow, can I do it?

A: According to Jeff Frohwein's GameBoy FAQ it is possible but complicated. The LCD interface to GameBoy is very similar to other large screen LCDs in that a CRT controller is really required. The reason for this is that all 23,040 pixels (160x144) have to be written or "refreshed" 60 times a second the same way that a TV has to constantly redraw or else there won't be any picture. This is required even if what your trying to display is static and never changes. This is all the info I have at the moment.
(note that this FAQ does not appear to be actively maintained.)
(linear)

Q: What about the Gameboy Advance?
A: It looks like it is possible to directly interface the entire Gameboy Advance to the PC via a serial port. A cable is/will be available that allows you to develop gameboy code on your PC and the gameboy advance will load it when powered on. This could be an interesting option, but requires someone to develop some nice code. It is not yet clear quite how flexible this option will be, but as the gameboy advance has some nice screen modes & processing power, the results could be very interesting, and its a fairly cheap option.
(alumentalist)

Originally posted by Techx
hah i dont have the time to read every word in a thread :)
Besides.. to me your results with rgb dont look any better than the composite

well once again if you read my posts, you would know that I was running composite in from a set top DVD player, and rgb from the pc (obviously). Someone has already asked to see tv-out compared to the RGB, I just don't have the time right now to do something like that.

Anyone doing this so it works on s-video out? Cuase that's what i wanna run it off of.

now that I think about it, would just getting a sony ps to s-video connector work?

i was wondering what the depth of that screen is? i mean form the molding of the screen to the highest chip on the back (or anything raised higher then that) so basicly from the highest point in the front to the highst point in the back.

Am I in the right track with this :
Am I missing something.

Really all you guys are going to need for this mod is this LCD screen and a 270r resister
And an old VGA cable

I took the RGB from pins 1,2,3 on the VGA card and connected them to RGB pins 9,11,12 on the LCD

Then I took the H sync and V sync pins 13,14 on VGA and joined them together and then connected them to pic 6 on the LCD

Obviously I connected ground to pin one

And last but not lest I connected a resister to the red input then I connected the V and H sync to the resister.

Set the card to run at 15hz and that was it

doesnt the lcd need power? how did you wire up that, im guessing it runs straight dc it shouldent be to hard to figure out the wireing if it does but im just wondering

Originally posted by Drunkinsquirl
doesnt the lcd need power? how did you wire up that, im guessing it runs straight dc it shouldent be to hard to figure out the wireing if it does but im just wondering

I havent done it . Im asking if im right. So far I have found 2 different method. Each method use a different brand of screen.
Still browsing the web for an answer and waiting forn a nice How-to.

Back