Screw Microsoft / Xbox Live (IE reqs Live Gold)

Congrats on being part of the ignorant masses that will buy into anything. Not even going to bother in educating you.

I think maybe your off base. A lot of people knock live but it works. I have been gaming online since doom dial up days. I have had live since it's inception. I also own a ps3. So I play all platforms. You guys say live and psn are the same they really are not. Psn is a lot slower than live and has knowwhere near the fluidness that live has. Matchmaking , chat downloads of any kind work flawless and are fast on live. Psn takes forever. Knock it and bitch about money all you want but it works well. Yes dashboard ads suck but that has nothing to do with online play. Psn has very few apps on it. I happen to like alit of the live apps you get alot of stuff and easy access. Ign, GameSpot,ESPN,hbogo,Comcast, there is alot there. I keep up on game news and reviews real easy in one spot.

Psn has Netflix,hulu,amazon,and mlb. I mean hell psn is free sure but your missing out if you don't have PS+. And that is 50 bucks too the free games alone are worth the price.

I've paid alot more in the past to play just one or two mmo's on PC.

Game how you like and you have no right to knock somebody on how they choose to game don't be so close minded. Every platform has it's high and low point none are perfect. But I gladly pay 100 buck a year for 4 live memberships. 25 bucks a year per person is cheap for all we get from it. Same as 50 for PS+ I've got 20 plus full good games for that price and alot of discounts, well worth it. Same as a good steam sale they all have a upside.

So quit bitching and game on.

You guys say live and psn are the same they really are not. Psn is a lot slower than live and has knowwhere near the fluidness that live has. Matchmaking , chat downloads of any kind work flawless and are fast on live. Psn takes forever.

I've had my XBL account since Halo 2 on original Xbox. I’ve put many hours into Halo 3/Reach, Gears of War and L4D1/2. And yes, they ran smooth on XBL.

I’ve also put many hours in Uncharted 2/3, Killzone 2/3, Starhawk, Fat Princess and Reistance 2 online. It ran just as smooth. I don't see the difference.

If you want to nitpick, yeah I guess patches take a bit longer to download. Yet those are done before I can get myself a frosty cold beverage.

I can’t comment on the apps. I know PSN has the ones I care about, Youtube, Hulu and Netflix.

And yes, PS+ is nice for all the free games but you’re not required to buy it for demos or stream moves or playing games online like 360.

You guys say live and psn are the same they really are not. Psn is a lot slower than live and has knowwhere near the fluidness that live has.
wtf does this even mean.
Matchmaking , chat downloads of any kind work flawless and are fast on live. Psn takes forever

This is completely false both have been equal. It takes way to long to start a online game on either console. I get disconnects and lag in both networks as the games are p2p. M$ doesn't host shit, not even on its first party games. It's rare you can play a match of halo reach with out laggy controls or 15 second disconnect when the host drops out of a game.

Knock it and bitch about money all you want but it works well. Yes dashboard ads suck but that has nothing to do with online play.

Psn has very few apps on it. I happen to like alit of the live apps you get alot of stuff and easy access. Ign, GameSpot,ESPN,hbogo,Comcast, there is alot there. I keep up on game news and reviews real easy in one spot.

I hope you're kidding.... gold is actually required to access those!? HAHAHA

Psn has Netflix,hulu,amazon,and mlb. I mean hell psn is free sure but your missing out if you don't have PS+. And that is 50 bucks too the free games alone are worth the price.

I dont use any apps i have a pc that does it better in every way. PSN+ is pointless to me as i buy games that i want to buy and paying a subscription to access said "free" games that you lose when you stop paying is dumb.

I've paid alot more in the past to play just one or two mmo's on PC.

Congrats on getting ripped off... i guess?

Game how you like and you have no right to knock somebody on how they choose to game don't be so close minded.

I think you may be the one thats close minded and brain washed.

I swear to god this site has descended into hell. Kyle why don't you guys just get rid of some sections on this site. The console game, amd CPU and apple section as they just bring in all the hate here. All I see anymore are guys that haven't been here long bitch and bash there way all over this site.

I'm not gonna debate with the guy making points to all my comments anyone can argue there point by twisting things.

You are obviously too young to have paid higher monthly fees on PC to game. Just because now everyone gets nickel and dimed thru dlc instead doesn't make it any better and ftp with in game purchases is the same deal just better mindfuck.

You are obviously too young to have paid higher monthly fees on PC to game.
I never was paying monthly fees to play dos games and certainly not paying monthly fees to game now...:confused: Sure pc gaming is more expensive on the hardware aspect but that is completely different.
Just because now everyone gets nickel and dimed thru dlc instead doesn't make it any better and ftp with in game purchases is the same deal just better mindfuck.
I have never purchased dlc or ever purchased a item from a FTP game those are just as dumb as paying for live. Only reason the industry has gone this direction because of idiots that agree to pay in to it.

You can still dl demos on free, but all the inteernet apps are behind a paywall, no one really owns an xbox, your really only just renting it, the second you miss that first monthly payment, your out in the street locked out of your own home, but at least microsoft is kind enough to still allow you to play in your own backyard with yourself, because your friends aren't allowed over until you cough up that rent money.

Last edited:
I never was paying monthly fees to play dos games and certainly not paying monthly fees to game now...:confused: Sure pc gaming is more expensive on the hardware aspect but that is completely different.

I have never purchased dlc or ever purchased a item from a FTP game those are just as dumb as paying for live. Only reason the industry has gone this direction because of idiots that agree to pay in to it.

Holy shit I never said anything about hardware! And I never paid to play dos games wtf read.

I'm sure your helping the gaming industry by either

A. Buying the games when there bargain bin..
B. Pirating them.

I hate dlc as much as the next guy.
Seriously you expect people to miss out on games because you think that live and such charge money hell no people will pay to do what they enjoy.

You want free entertainment go outside and look around. Otherwise you pay in some way or another. Hell gaming PC's and upgrade cycles they require are just as rediculous. Been there too spent way more money on PC gaming than anything else it's the worst of all these so called overpriced indulgences.

Hobbies cost period.

Only reason the industry has gone this direction because of idiots that agree to pay in to it.

AGREE

as long as idiots will buy expansions that are nothing more than 15 minute patches and a new skin the companies will continue to bleed the users.

and it all goes back to consoles.....look those idiots will pay for anything this is great.
how do they afford it

MOM

Only reason the industry has gone this direction because of idiots that agree to pay in to it.

AGREE

as long as idiots will buy expansions that are nothing more than 15 minute patches and a new skin the companies will continue to bleed the users.

and it all goes back to consoles.....look those idiots will pay for anything this is great.
how do they afford it

MOM

Man that trend started on PC with mmo's and other PC games where you buys clothes weapons gold and expansions. It's all an evolution of that.
The Xbox, xbox360 or ps3 didn't have that crap till later on in their life long after it was common practice in the PC gaming world. It is now SOP in all gaming now. The only company that hasn't had it is Nintendo but that is a whole different discussion

You can still dl demos on free, but all the inteernet apps are behind a paywall, no one really owns an xbox, your really only just renting it, the second you miss that first monthly payment, your out in the street locked out of your own home, but at least microsoft is kind enough to still allow you to play in your own backyard with yourself, because your friends aren't allowed over until you cough up that rent money.

You can dl a limited amount of demos with a silver membership. There are many that require gold. Sometimes they are timed after the games release, sometimes you can never touch them as a silver member.

Congrats on being part of the ignorant masses that will buy into anything. Not even going to bother in educating you.

I have a ps3 and its not even close to the simplicity and smoothness that xbox live has. my friends have ps3 and we all choose to pay for live and buy our multiplatform games on live because everything works smoother.

the thing i don't get is why you care. if it' better on ps3 then go play on your ps3. i'll enjoy xbox live. if you're mad yo have to pay for something, then that's another story. if the product was bad and you had to pay, you would just say "that's dumb, i'm going to use another" and not think about it. but if you realize that MS is offering a better product that the other consoles, then that just proves that ms is not wrong for charging for it but instead smart and business savvy. if you had invested in MS years ago you'd be applauding them.

it's the american dream folks: find something you can do well, do it better than others; and get rich from it. how can you fault them for it?

I have a ps3 and its not even close to the simplicity and smoothness that xbox live has. my friends have ps3 and we all choose to pay for live and buy our multiplatform games on live because everything works smoother.

Please explain how everything works smoother if they both play and feel exactly the same when playing a game online. I have both consoles there is no diffrence other then the wonderful little placebo effect you may be getting from that fee you pay.
the thing i don't get is why you care. if it' better on ps3 then go play on your ps3. i'll enjoy xbox live. if you're mad yo have to pay for something, then that's another story. if the product was bad and you had to pay, you would just say "that's dumb, i'm going to use another" and not think about it.
It's not better on ps3 it's the exact same experience and i care because when enough dumb people start paying for this so called "service" it will become a industry standard.
but if you realize that MS is offering a better product that the other consoles, then that just proves that ms is not wrong for charging for it but instead smart and business savvy. if you had invested in MS years ago you'd be applauding them.
Clearly MS is better at making money. The amount of money they are bringing in on advertising could easly pay for all of their hosting costs and more. Now if they would actually provide a better service that would be grand!
it's the american dream folks: find something you can do well, do it better than others; and get rich from it. how can you fault them for it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

First of all if your paying 50 your dumb plenty of ways to get it cheaper. And playstion network without playstation plus which is 50 a year is pretty crappy as well. Plus and its free games kinda make up for the fact that their network is slow as hell. I pay 99 a year for live family plan thats for 4 people thats 25 per person if you cant math. My point is both have their issues. But i also enjoy more things on both than there are to dislike.

Thats great that it works out for you. Although, you should try reading the OP and see where he is coming from. In my opinion i also agree paying for a required service to access another is absurd (gold account to access Netflx) Last i checked this is still the case. Also there is absolutely no reason there should be ads when your paying for the service already.

Thats great that it works out for you. Although, you should try reading the OP and see where he is coming from. In my opinion i also agree paying for a required service to access another is absurd (gold account to access Netflx) Last i checked this is still the case. Also there is absolutely no reason there should be ads when your paying for the service already.

I pay for my internet why do I have to see ads on websites, same with TV. I don't see the op gripe live has always been a pay service since day one. Don't like it don't use it. I think it's funny people pay out the ass for PC hardware with outrageously priced video cards and bitch about 50 bucks a year. People spend money on worse or more useless shit all the time. And if people didn't want it they wouldn't buy it and it would cease to exist.

I pay to play across many platforms as do a ton of people around the world so fucking get over it!

NOBODY IS FORCING YOU! You can live without it if you don't want to pay and move on to something else.

And you know your crying about .14 cents a day. Look around as you walk everyday maybe it will help you with such a heavy burden.

Last edited:
I pay for my internet why do I have to see ads on websites, same with TV. I don't see the op gripe live has always been a pay service since day one. Don't like it don't use it. I think it's funny people pay out the ass for PC hardware with outrageously priced video cards and bitch about 50 bucks a year. People spend money on worse or more useless shit all the time. And if people didn't want it they wouldn't buy it and it would cease to exist.

I pay to play across many platforms as do a ton of people around the world so fucking get over it!

NOBODY IS FORCING YOU! You can live without it if you don't want to pay and move on to something else.

And you know your crying about .14 cents a day. Look around as you walk everyday maybe it will help you with such a heavy burden.

I really don't see what your point is here. TWC, Verizon & Comcast are pushing these ads? Last i checked OTA TV is free. My initial two points still stands. No idea why someone would pay twice to access subscribed content such as Netflix.( i could care less if the service was 50 cents! Its the principle of the matter :). Having said that, its great that your enjoying XBL for what it offers. Although I have found other ways to access subscribed content which omits the use of Microsofts live service.

Last edited:
I pay for my internet why do I have to see ads on websites, same with TV. I don't see the op gripe live has always been a pay service since day one. Don't like it don't use it.
Most TV IS a ripoff as well, nothing but commercials. Also i have never received ads from my ISP while i use the internet, not even once.
I think it's funny people pay out the ass for PC hardware with outrageously priced video cards and bitch about 50 bucks a year.
Comparing physical hardware that has a wide range of uses and can be resold to a service that provides nothing but to allow the ability to connect to other peoples consoles. Brilliant.
People spend money on worse or more useless shit all the time. And if people didn't want it they wouldn't buy it and it would cease to exist.

You seem upset... but yes i would actually like to play sometimes but i refuse to contribute to this mindset and wish other people would at least think about it what they're really buying.

You're missing the point entirely its not the price it's the point in paying for a "service" that should be provided free especially when they are advertising taco bell on your screen when you boot up your console. The consumer has to pay M$ when they buy the console, games and then pay again just to connect to servers not even host by microsoft. corporations constantly see what they can get away with and push the boundaries to maximize profit. It's the consumers responsibility to know when they are getting ripped off and vote with their wallet.

you seem to miss the point where if many people think something is worth paying for: it IS worth paying for and maybe, just MAYBE, its not the many who have the wrong point of view but you.

and when was the last time you resold a piece of hardware? were you pissed at how much you had to pay for it and how much lower it sold? do you realize that the hardware manufacturer charges MORE for it than it cost him to make? and if fewer people bought graphics cards as soon as they came out at full price then it might drop in price?

basically what i hear is that you want thousands (tens, hundreds?) of people to stop paying for a service so YOU can maybe get it for free. well sorry buddy, i have 50 bucks to spare (i paid less) and so i'm going to pay for xbox live so i can enjoy my favorite video games with my friends.

also: why should microsoft provide you with anything for free? because other companies have come around and offer services for free? do you believe if Sony was the first to develop an online platform for multiplayer that it would be free? hell no, they'd charge as much as they think they could get away with.

you seem to miss the point where if many people think something is worth paying for: it IS worth paying for and maybe, just MAYBE, its not the many who have the wrong point of view but you.

and when was the last time you resold a piece of hardware? were you pissed at how much you had to pay for it and how much lower it sold? do you realize that the hardware manufacturer charges MORE for it than it cost him to make? and if fewer people bought graphics cards as soon as they came out at full price then it might drop in price?

basically what i hear is that you want thousands (tens, hundreds?) of people to stop paying for a service so YOU can maybe get it for free. well sorry buddy, i have 50 bucks to spare (i paid less) and so i'm going to pay for xbox live so i can enjoy my favorite video games with my friends.

also: why should microsoft provide you with anything for free? because other companies have come around and offer services for free? do you believe if Sony was the first to develop an online platform for multiplayer that it would be free? hell no, they'd charge as much as they think they could get away with.
Thank you

And the comment by yourgrandma about ota being free sure it is and so is a silver membership you get the comparison. We work to play so I'll enjoy it how I damn well please.

I'm more pissed that smartglass is delayed for droid users than the monthly payment.

I'm more pissed that smartglass is delayed for droid users than the monthly payment.

Don't care if its delayed as long as it works right. It won't be more than a novelty anyway. But as long as it works, you know their gonna give wp,and iOS priority anyway :mad:

MS has a goal of moving towards a subscription model for Xbox anyway - you'll pay a subsidized price to buy the console, and then have a 1/2yr agreement to sign up for Gold. There's more money to be made that way.

Why is it required? Because they can. It's the same reason why every single industry (banking, airlines) has been adding fees for stuff that used to be free, not because they were losing money, but because they figured out people will pay.

I really don't like the 'its only $50/$30' argument. It's not the price, it's the principle. If MS were to come out and say its the price for being online, that's fine. But tying services like Hulu/Netflix/HBO, for which MS doesn't spend a cent to Gold is decidedly evil.

MS has a goal of moving towards a subscription model for Xbox anyway - you'll pay a subsidized price to buy the console, and then have a 1/2yr agreement to sign up for Gold. There's more money to be made that way.

Why is it required? Because they can. It's the same reason why every single industry (banking, airlines) has been adding fees for stuff that used to be free, not because they were losing money, but because they figured out people will pay.

I really don't like the 'its only $50/$30' argument. It's not the price, it's the principle. If MS were to come out and say its the price for being online, that's fine. But tying services like Hulu/Netflix/HBO, for which MS doesn't spend a cent to Gold is decidedly evil.

Their testing subsidizing to see how people react that is known. They are trying what seems to work very well for cell phones. The thing is that they are testing this as a future way to offer a much higher spec console and service with a lower sticker shock value. It may or may not work but that is why they are testing it. Can't say I like it either but it seems that people are looking at it somewhat. Industry people think if it takes off it could mean that they will offer a much higher spec console as they can subsidize like phone maker/providers do. I'd rather buy out right it's cheaper but we will see what he masses decide for us I guess.

Please explain how everything works smoother if they both play and feel exactly the same when playing a game online. I have both consoles there is no diffrence other then the wonderful little placebo effect you may be getting from that fee you pay.

You obviously do not have friends. If you had friends you would quickly find out that if I want to play some of my single player game which a couple other friends play a different multi-player game that I could no longer speak with said friend on PSN. You would also find out that playing games with said friends is much more tedious than XBL were I click on a friend and hit "Join".

You are such a freaking internet troll it is not even funny and I completely agree with HisSvt76 that this forum has no redeeming qualities any longer because of people just like you. You don't listen to counter-points and directly discuss them, you bring up another topic and ignore the original line of thought. I could spend an hour telling you how every single one of the points you have brought is entitled bullshit but it wouldn't make a difference.

And people talking about the principle of charging for a service need to go somewhere else since [H] charges you for GenMay. God forbid.

Please don't use internet words if you don't even know their meanings. Troll is not someone you disagree with in a discussion. A troll is someone who's only purpose is to entice a reaction by stating or doing something completely outrageous and generally does not give a shit from either side of the matter.

Such as stating i have no friends to back your argument seems pretty trollish to me.

Having an add on a page that I can ignore is not a big deal for me. But having adds, that are usually for fatty fast food, before almost every video on Halo Waypoint (which can only be used if you are a gold member. p.s. It did not used to be this way) is fucking infuriating.

wow all the pro and anti live bickering is funny lol. Personally I find the entire xbox experiance much better than playstation. Everything feels more user friendly and compatable on xbox. The controllers are better to use (personal preferance I know), and the requirment for a bluetooth remote on the ps3 makes me angry. I hate having more than 1 remote, and having to pay $70 for a harmony ps3 adapter is crap. Not to mention xbox live can be had for very cheap, I got a 14 month subscription for $25 a while ago, I spend more than that in a week on coffee lol. Add in the fact downloads and updates on the ps3 seem to take forever, where my xbox seems to max my connection out

All in all I find the xbox is worth the "premium", the ps3 is a fine blu-ray and network player but the xbox is much more enjoyable to use.

next sentance over, I hate gaving more than 1 remote. Unless im playing a game all my console controllers are put in my av shelf. I have 1 remote (my harmony) that controls everything and that how I like it, having 4 differnet remotes to control devices out looks horrible imo. I use my tv's anynet+ to control my ps3 but unfortunaly all it can tell my ps3 is scroll left/right/up/down play and pause, fast forward/rewind and go back. Works for netflix and blurays if all i want to do is start the movie and watch it, I cant exit netflix once in it because I cant hit "select" to exit it lol.

Mind you what the anynet+ can tell the ps3 to do is 90% of what it needs but its always those times when I need to get into special features that my remote cant do that bugs me, would of been nice if they just added a little IR reciever for normal remotes like the xbox has.

next sentance over, I hate gaving more than 1 remote. Unless im playing a game all my console controllers are put in my av shelf. I have 1 remote (my harmony) that controls everything and that how I like it, having 4 differnet remotes to control devices out looks horrible imo. I use my tv's anynet+ to control my ps3 but unfortunaly all it can tell my ps3 is scroll left/right/up/down play and pause, fast forward/rewind and go back. Works for netflix and blurays if all i want to do is start the movie and watch it, I cant exit netflix once in it because I cant hit "select" to exit it lol.

Mind you what the anynet+ can tell the ps3 to do is 90% of what it needs but its always those times when I need to get into special features that my remote cant do that bugs me, would of been nice if they just added a little IR reciever for normal remotes like the xbox has.

Samsung TV? I believe you press the tools button then menu to emulate the PS button. Extra steps but it is there.

be nice if they went they way of "ad-support" so could access "Gold" stuff without having to pay an additional fee to access other pay-to-use stuff .. if you didn't like the ads , then pay the gold live fee

I really don't mind paying for Live as much as I have a problem with being forced to watch Ad's on a platform that I'm paying monthly for. Not only that, but it's rediculous that I can't watch Netflix or Hulu without being signed into Live (PSN does the same thing). If the service is down, then I have to watch it via other means. It's really annoying

What really worries me with Windows8+ (and WP8+) is that they're likely planning to do this with that platform as well at some point.

The app requirements with Gold are pretty ridiculous (gold for Netflix? really?)

But cross-game party chat and other XBL features are VERY nice (I'm sure there's a few others...MS has the whole multiplayer thing down to a science IMO).

It's enough to keep me paying $35/yr but I don't know if I'd go much higher than $40. I just went without it for a month

Back