Screen tearing in XP/Vista but not Server 2008?

Nightrainsrt4

Limp Gawd
I am going out of my mind, so perhaps I am missing something very simple, I really don't know.

I had my htpc and reinstalled Server 2008, installed Nvidia drivers, and then XBMC. Took a bit to get the correct resolution for my display and had to use a secondary monitor to get the settings correct, but I eventually got them. 1360x768 60Hz V 47.7Hz H. Video playback was perfect. No tearing what so ever. I couldn't use this OS though because apparently the student promotion through Dreamspark only gets you one activation.

Installed Vista Ultimate, nvidia drivers, xbmc and all I get is tearing. Just installed XP Pro and the exact same issue. I can not for the life of me get clean perfect playback like I had with Server 2008, it was literally perfect. Resolution is still 1360x768 yet it tears everywhere.

Specs:

E5200
GA-G31-ES2L
1.5GB DDR2
Asus 8400GS Silent 512Mb
40GB 2.5" OS drive
1TB Storage Drive

Sharp 32" 720P LCD connected VGA.

Any thoughts? I've either got to be missing something or...

Okay, after spending all day working on this I've come up with a temporary solution. After uninstalling drivers and playing around with switching plugs and whatnot, then reinstalling drivers and incrementally going up in resolution I have found one that does not produce tearing.

1360x768 produces tearing with my 32" lcdtv in both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate, but not in Server 2008. I went through several re-installs to confirm this. Why? I do not know.

I've got XP back installed and it seems I can get video to not tear when under 1280x768. I still don't understand why certain OS will work fine at certain resolutions, but not others. I really wish I understood.

It still seems like there is a tiny little bit of tearing once every few minutes, but it is like barely noticeable. Could just me looking for imperfections at this point, brain making crap up.

Any of the gurus here know why a resolution would work perfectly with one OS but not others? (Server 08 but not XP/Vista?).

Server 08 (any server OS for that matter) doesn't support DX9 or EVR renderning methods (why should it?) so it doesn't support hardware acceleration of media. It's all being done in software, inferiority.

What is the model number of your TV and are you using it's native resolution? I don't think so if you're having tearing problems. What software are you using? What codecs are you using/have installed? Are you using the latest drivers (Especially nvidia drivers)? Are you turning on "inverse telcince (sp)?

Model # of TV: LC-32SH12U
Native Resolution: 1366x768
Resolution Currently working in XP Pro: 1280x768 V: 60 Hz H: 47.8 Hz
Resolution That worked with Server 2008: 1360x768 V: 60 Hz H: 47.7 Hz

Those resolutions are the recommended resolutions, and have a compatible check mark right in the manual . 1360x768 is the highest resolution compatible from PC according to the manual.

Software is just XBMC. I rip my videos straight to Video_Ts/Vobs. No external codecs installed. Can an 8400GS accelerate .vob? I only ever hear people worrying about codecs and hardware accel when they are using a different encoded container, like avi/mkv/etc.

Used the very latest driver from Nvidia's website. Didn't enable inverse telecine as I had zero issues with the resolution under Server 2008. I can repeat this issue. I can install Server 2008 and get the 1360x768 resolution to work perfect (no tearing), but in xp or vista it is all tearing. The only change is the OS. I was even using the Vista drivers under Server 2008, so same drivers between Vista/S08.

Please let me know if I missed anything. As I mentioned, it seemingly runs perfect under 1280x768, but when I go the next step up (1360x768 i.e closest to native) under those OS I get tearing.

Back