Screen resolution pans across screen, stuck in small res

MooCow

Supreme [H]ardness
I got this annoying issue where I have my display settings set to the native resolution of my LCD monitor, but its not displaying the whole picture in the screen, rather I have to move my mouse near the edge of the screen to pan across the whole view. And I did an auto adjustment on my monitor but it said "not available" ??? I'm running a Samsung 226 CW. I tried installing the drivers for it too. Restarted. No good. I'm also running a Nvidia quadro FX 3500 thats connected to a Samsung and a Viewsonic rotated 90 degrees, and a 2nd video card thats a Nvidia 6200 with a viewsonic hooked up to it as well. I'm trying to do 3 monitors but the primary widescreen samsung is not working right.

How can I make the Samsung actually draw a true 1680x1050 native resolution without panning across the desktop? Nvidia control panel uses my display's built in scaling, if that makes a difference .... the two viewsonics work fine in their native res.

The pixels are large like 800x600 blocky squares but the desktop is bigger, whatever resolution you set it to. Basically I'm saying that my monitor is stuck at a fixed resolution and only pans across the desktop to view the rest.

Last edited:
auto adjustment is for vga only, so that's why it says 'not available'

I had the exact same problem you are describing, and it turns out that the EDID info (the info that the monitor sends to your pc about what it's native res is) was incorrect, and so Windows kept thinking it was 1024x768

If I made the resolution higher, it would scroll sideways like you said

You can try:
Installing new graphics drivers
Installing monitor drivers (probably on the Samsung website)
Running through VGA instead of DVI

Running through VGA fixed mine, but I wasn't happy about not being able to use DVI, so I returned the lcd

hmm crap... now that you're mentioning ID info.... I have a DVI KVM with a DVI detective on it... I think I made the DVI detective save the information of a viewsonic, and then switched it back to the Samsung. Damn... let me check this right now.

And yeah, auto adjust on vga... man. I'm so forgetful.

Yeah, fixed it. Sometimes I forgot what that box did under my desk cause its been there, problem-free for so long. Until I had to redo my wiring. Thanks for the pointers.

DVI KVM switches get slightly more expensive because of the nature of DVI.. DVI detectives save information about each monitor and emulates the connection back to your video card so it doesn't totally reset your monitor settings in windows by switching to other machines. And the damn things aren't integrated into the damned KVM's yet, thus increasing wiring complexity and cost... I use Gefen equipment.

Back