Screen replacement for LG G4

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Yup, figures, I dropped my G4 yesterday and now the screen is cracked. Woot woot!

The phone is still operational, which is good until I figure out which option to take.

Option A -back up all my files and such, pay $100 to sprint, wait a few days to get a replacement and then done.

Option B- possibly save some money and buy a replacement kit. And as well keep this phone so I don't have to back up and re-download everything.

My question to you guys is if I did option B, what online retailer would you recommend?

I found this link but am not sure if they're legit or not.
http://www.repairpartsplus.com/LG-G...tn4EtbnMwPPEmnktCP7Ck6roEMpnQKex9EaAtLS8P8HAQ

If someone has a better option, I'd love to hear it.
Thank you!

If you're choosing option B, don't get that one since it's not an OEM part, it's a "cheap Chinese knockoff" and you can't be sure it'll be a good and proper fit. I'd spend just a few more bucks and get the real OEM replacement display assembly itself - what that means is that it's the entire front frame of the G4 with the LCD already mounted and ready to go AND it's the actual OEM component supplied by LG directly:

https://www.etradesupply.com/lg-g4-h815-lcd-assembly-with-front-housing-no-small-parts-black.html

Note that display assembly is not compatible for the LG G4 VS986 which is the Verizon model (which is a bit thicker because it supported wireless charging). If your G4 is the VS986 model then you'd want this part:

https://www.etradesupply.com/lg-g4-vs986-lcd-assembly-with-frame-no-small-parts-black.html

which is why I said a bit more money (and currently out of stock). The first link above is actually cheaper at about $40 + shipping but it includes no small parts meaning you'll have to transplant everything from your current G4 to that new display assembly (all the ribbon cables, every screw, etc). Considering the cost and the fact that it is is an actual OEM display assembly from LG I doubt you'll do better anywhere else.

I've done business with eTradeSupply for several years now with about a dozen display assembly replacements - I don't bother getting just the the digitizer and screen since doing all that requires a heat gun, the chance of cracking/destroying the screens in the transplant, and just a physically demanding task even if you do it without any problems at all. Buying the full display assembly (digitizer/screen/frame as one already put together piece) is the preferred method and a full on swap can be done in under and hour as long as you're patient and take your time so as not to miss any aspects of the operation.

Personally I'd say cough up the $100 to Sprint and just get a replacement if they still offer that option, if there's a problem with the replacement device they send that should be covered under it's own warranty which technically would start the day you get it. They'll bitch moan and whine about it but that's how it goes if you need to file another service request.

And also realize while the G4 is an awesome smartphone (my favorite one ever even to this day) the possibility of you having the dreaded bootloop issue cropping up increases with each passing day so be aware of that and understand you could be tossing good money down the drain if you go either route (A or B) and then it ends up dying on you at some point soon afterwards.

To be honest with you, I don't know if I would risk spending the money to fix the phone because of the bootloop issue. If you do decide to fix it, I would go with Option A.

What is the warranty on the G4? Like braamer said, there is the risk of bootloop, a hardware failure. If under warranty, pick option A. If no warranty, dump the device. If you are on a budget, find something around $100 on ebay or swappa.

I don't think have a warranty anymore. I've had this phone for about 18 months now. However, I'm paying insurance through sprint each month. Cost is $100 to replace.

Now why would replacing the screen effect how the phone itself boots up? Just curious.

After a terrible experience with a local shop replacing the screen on an LG G3 -- light bleed all around the screen, touch stopped working consistently 2 and a half weeks later (no drops, jostles, or other damage) and they only offered a 2 week warranty, refusing to do anything about it -- I'd say ship to the carrier and spend the $100.

I don't think have a warranty anymore. I've had this phone for about 18 months now. However, I'm paying insurance through sprint each month. Cost is $100 to replace.

Now why would replacing the screen effect how the phone itself boots up? Just curious.
Replacing the screen would not increase or decrease chances of bootloop occurring. Bootloop is when solder between motherboard and other components loses connection. It can happen out of nowhere and brick your phone. You may see warning signs like random reboots or phone freezing, or you may not. I tell G4 owners to use sd card for photos, video instead of internal memory in case of bootloop so they don't lose these items. It is a pretty serious problem on multiple LG devices including the G4 and V10, serious enough that class action lawsuits are developing. Also, I have read elsewhere the newer models are less likely to be affected. My G4 was a launch unit and failed October 2016. The units manufactured in 2016 are probably lower risk.

Back