Screen for 2740p

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Last week i accidentally closed my tablet wrong, the screen hit one of those little side bars that hold it in place....

the panel is 100% functioning, and fine, however the very top layer, I assume the touch layer, is cracked across.....called HP and their techs seem to assume that the panel is fucked, and didnt understand me saying that only the top layer is........ive searched for the top layer part, but cant find it anywhere, best i can find is a new screen for ~700-800 ..... at which point its cheaper to buy a used 2740p and just harvest for parts

anyone have an idea where i can get the top layer of the screen (cant get pics till the week days, on vacation right now).

The screen mask is what that part is called or known as but you'll still have a helluva time finding it - it's the top-most surface (clear, about 1/16" thick, basically a sheet of high density Plexiglass in many respects). It sits above the actual LCD panel by about another 1/16" of an inch meaning there's actual 'air' space in there. And yeah, it's tough to get people to understand it on those older stylus-based Tablet PCs... ;)

I've had to replace those on Toshiba Tablet PCs in the past and that's how Toshiba references them: screen mask.

Thanks guys, i plan on running to a "HP approved" service center on friday (1st day off after i get back), to see what they say, like hell if ill pay more than $100 to fix it, i can live with the dam crack, stylus works just fine with it there, and as I said the IPS is fine

edit: Is the 2730p going to have the same screen parts/case parts, like the 2760p does for the 2740p?

Last edited:
was thinking today.....would a 2730p screen work with my 2740p? From what i can tell (visually) the main difference is the LED light is circle instead of square, and the back of the screen is a different look...but size/spec otherwise seem the same......

My primary laptop is a 2730p which I love to bits. Wonderful laptop for college, and they're very inexpensive (~$300) used.

Anyway, let me know if you need any pictures or measurements. Also, I just received a spare LCD cover (the 'lid' to the laptop), so I can provided pictures/measurements of that as well.

I'm probably going to work on opening the LCD this weekend or next to affix the replacement. Need to find a better tool to pry the bezel off without damaging it.

measurment wise isnt the issue, the issue is more the plugs if they will work.....if you could take a picture close up on the plugs that would be great (plugged in and what not if possible)

ended up picking up a 2740p on Ebay, for $150....missing: Ram, Bat, Stylus, Backpanel, HDD.....otherwise in full working order. Ill just end up switching the 2 (or hell if it has an i7[unkown to me at this point] just swap my ram/SSD/stylus/backpanel/bat over to the one i just ordered) screens when classes end...

Good to hear. Sorry I didn't get around to cracking the laptop open this weekend; I've been putting it off, admittedly. Bezel seems like a huge pain to remove.

That's one nice thing about these older laptops, you can get parts fairly inexpensively if you look around. I just received a 27*0p slice battery for $27 shipped with only 1% wear. Love having 10-14 hours of battery life.

yup, i'm actually thinking of making a 2nd tablet after i swap screens....and finding batteries cheap shouldnt be too hard if i look for some from earlier in the 27*0p series (nice of HP to keep pretty much the same thing, but change the innards)

Back