Scott Herkelman Confirms NVIDIA GPP Tactics

Lol. People have forgotten about kyle and atI quake/quack fiasco. If kyle smells something stinky, he will try to locate the soure of the smell, and shine a light to fix it.

I believe at one time or another practically every major manufacture has been mad at hardocp and blacklisted them over a review that pointed out issues.

Kyle also pointed out Nvidia cheating in 3dmark when you took it off the "rails"

Well this isn’t the exact same thing, Nvidia isn’t that dumb. Essentially the same thing. I’m sure they learned from intels mistakes.

Mistakes? Intel prevented AMD from increasing it's market share and pushed them so far into debt that they sold almost everything. They still haven't recovered from it. I'm sure to Intel it was a success even with the $3b+ it cost them.

I was already leaning toward going back to AMD before all this GPP crap to be honest. AMD has really put their support for open drivers into full gear... and as a Linux guy that made me want to support them all the more. Nvidias Linux drivers have always been solid but they are hardly open and although the Linux community has done a good job of building tools to make them easy for noobies to install... NVs closed source driver still annoys me.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tomb-Raider-GTX-1060-RX-580

AMDs open source drivers have made some real breakthroughs the last few months.... now that they seem to be on par with performance for the most part. I'm sold... now if only I can find a decently priced AMD card. lol

I was already leaning toward going back to AMD before all this GPP crap to be honest. AMD has really put their support for open drivers into full gear... and as a Linux guy that made me want to support them all the more. Nvidias Linux drivers have always been solid but they are hardly open and although the Linux community has done a good job of building tools to make them easy for noobies to install... NVs closed source driver still annoys me.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tomb-Raider-GTX-1060-RX-580

AMDs open source drivers have made some real breakthroughs the last few months.... now that they seem to be on par with performance for the most part. I'm sold... now if only I can find a decently priced AMD card. lol

Open source drivers are cool - whatever - but doesn't really amount to much for anyone beyond a fringe of a fringe of nerds. I'd be more impressed if they started working more to actually champion Linux gaming. That's pretty much the only scenario in which I'd buy an AMD GPU and pay more for less performance. AMD partnering with a few developers to get a couple killer AAA's onto Linux would be a godsend, and it would marry perfectly with their APU's getting more powerful for low cost gaming machines.

Open source drivers are cool - whatever - but doesn't really amount to much for anyone beyond a fringe of a fringe of nerds. I'd be more impressed if they started working more to actually champion Linux gaming. That's pretty much the only scenario in which I'd buy an AMD GPU and pay more for less performance. AMD partnering with a few developers to get a couple killer AAA's onto Linux would be a godsend, and it would marry perfectly with their APU's getting more powerful for low cost gaming machines.

That is exactly what they are doing, sort of. If they had a bit push attached to their open freedom PR stuff that would be pretty awsome for sure. (not going to happen I know lol)

Nvidia + Linux (is much better these days) but its been a night mare for new Linux people... cause installing a kernel level driver if you don't know what your doing is a nightmare. Yes most of the major distros now offer one click and in some cases even install point Nvidia driver setup. Still a lot of distros ask new users to get dirty with the command line, which can scare new users away pretty quick. Some don't mind punching in commands they don't understand... a few take the time to learn what a command like mkinitcpio is. But ya its not user friendly. (the advantage and the reason I have a NV card right now is that yes NV has made solid Linux gaming drivers no question)

AMD has employees working with employees from companies like Valve directly one the AMD MESA/Gallium/Vulcan open source drivers.

If your not into Linux gaming its easy to miss the significance of that round of tests Phoronix ran. At one time AMD open source drivers where terrible, and AMDs linux support was aimed pretty hard at the pro field. So a lot of games when they first dropped into Linux ran either like crap or with issues. This is pretty much the first time ever I have seen a new game (I know its old on windows but its a new Linux port) drop that had not only good AMD support right away... things are performing as expecting and showing the same % differences between cards / brands that you would expect to see in windows.

Last edited:
That is exactly what they are doing.

Nvidia + Linux (is much better these days) but its been a night mare for new Linux people... cause installing a kernel level driver if you don't know what your doing is a nightmare. Yes most of the major distros now offer one click and in some cases even install point Nvidia driver setup. Still a lot of distros ask new users to get dirty with the command line, which can scare new users away pretty quick. Some don't mind punching in commands they don't understand... a few take the time to learn what a command like mkinitcpio is. But ya its not user friendly. (the advantage and the reason I have a NV card right now is that yes NV has made solid Linux gaming drivers no question)

AMD has employees working with employees from companies like Valve directly one the AMD MESA/Gallium/Vulcan open source drivers.

If your not into Linux gaming its easy to miss the significance of that round of tests Phoronix ran. At one time AMD open source drivers where terrible, and AMDs linux support was aimed pretty hard at the pro field. So a lot of games when they first dropped into Linux ran either like crap or with issues. This is pretty much the first time ever I have seen a new game (I know its old on windows but its a new Linux port) drop that had not only good AMD support right away... things are performing as expecting and showing the same % differences between cards / brands that you would expect to see in windows.

The performance of Mesa has improved dramatically, but Nvidia still hand it to AMD where OGL is involved. Still, it is great to see the performance of the open source AMD driver continue to improve, giving users a realistic option to Nvidia that's installed by default.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
The performance of Mesa has improved dramatically, but Nvidia still hand it to AMD where OGL is involved. Still, it is great to see the performance of the open source AMD driver continue to improve, giving users a realistic option to Nvidia that's installed by default.

They need to improve Vega support still a lot. That one is big, and a glaring ouch right now.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gl-vk-eoy2017&num=1

Those ogl tests are from December... pretty old now... but OpenGL opensource is actually performing pretty well. Polaris support is very good right now. That test is from december since AMDVLK the open source vulcan drivers have got a lot of work and are outperforming the OGL stack now mostly.

I love how GPP is being branded by Nvidia as somehow pro consumer. Kind of like how the 970 didn’t exactly have 4GB of RAM available as advertised, but the fact it had 3.5GB was actually a “feature” and you should want it.
(points at his title)

Mistakes? Intel prevented AMD from increasing it's market share and pushed them so far into debt that they sold almost everything. They still haven't recovered from it. I'm sure to Intel it was a success even with the $3b+ it cost them.
I think you missed the context here.
Nvidia has learned from Intel's mistakes in getting caught, so they can fuck AMD without repercussions. Or so they hope.
Go Kyle!

Reactions: otg
like this
Back