Scott Herkelman and Robert Hallock on Full Nerd

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Enjoy.

Join The Full Nerd gang as they talk about the latest PC hardware topics. In today's show we are joined by two very special guests from AMD, Scott Herkelman and Robert Hallock, to talk about the impending release of Ryzen 3000 series CPU's and Radeon 5700 series GPU's! As always we will be answering your live questions so speak up in the chat.

excellent video. My next build will be AMD and currently using FX-8350 :cool:

Last edited:
Oh my god, the blathering.

I'm 7.5 minutes into it and they are only just starting to talk about anything remotely interesting.

I wish they could just get to the goddamned point.

This is why I hate Youtube.

Not bad once it gets started though. Better at 1.25x

Really like Scott Herkelman

Also really like how he says radeon is all about honesty now and says previous radeon team said "win win win" hahahah

Edit:

There is already a thread discussing this topic over in the Memory subforum, so I am continuing my discussion there.

/Edit:

So, what kind of RAM are you guys buying for Ryzen 3000?

The AMD CPU guy (Robert Hallock?) stated in this video that he thought the sweet spot was DDR4-3600. Last week I posted a news story suggesting that the memory controller would hit peak performance at DDR4-3733.

He was talking about 3600Mhz CL14, but in my searches, this RAM simply does not exist. Even CL15 is pretty rare. Most 3600Mhz DDR4 seems to be CL16 or above.

If the news story from last week is correct in that you maximize the infinity fabric clock when RAM is clocked at 3733, I wonder if we'd be better off buying 3600Mhz CL15 RAM (lowest timings I could find at 3600Mhz)) or 3733Mhz CL17 (lowest timings I could find at 3733Mhz) or if it even really matters, if they are essentially the same ram with lowered timings so they can hit a higher clock?

(Part of me wants to buy the higher rated RAM just to be guaranteed to hit the best clock rather than leave it up to the chance of overclocking though...)

I guess no one except AMD really knows how the memory controller in Ryzen 3000 will scale with clock speed and timings yet, but what are some of you who know RAM better than me thinking?

(I have to admit, RAM performance is my biggest gap in knowledge in this hobby)

Edit:

There is already a thread discussing this topic over in the Memory subforum, so I am continuing my discussion there.

/Edit:

Last edited:
Really like Scott Herkelman

Also really like how he says radeon is all about honesty now and says previous radeon team said "win win win" hahahah

Did he also honestly give it any thought about the current pricing which seems to be about totally screwing their price/performance ratio which they have had an opportunity to use because HBM was killing this previously (well currently as well for Radeon VII).

The 3 months xbox game pass that is offered now is nothing that will push people into AMD gpu buying....

Back