Scorched Cinema Display power adapter, possible fire hazard?

Josephson_Junction

Weaksauce
Let me just first say that this is just another reason I regret buying this display. It's an Apple A1082 23" Cinema Display, and its power adapter seems to be having some... problems.

(I apologize for the poor photo quality)
AfXks.jpg

9rK4d.jpg

It still works, but getting the display to power on involves moving its connector (seen in the second photo) around in the socket like a gear stick for a little while until it eventually makes a good connection.

I would replace the power adapter but replacements go for over $100, money I'd rather spend on a better display. Even then, the cable that connects the adapter might still be an issue. I can't replace it either since it's physically part of the other three cables going to the monitor (USB, 1394, DVI).

My concern is that this blasted thing is going to start a fire at some point. Am I being paranoid? Do you have any advice?

As I recall from when I did Apple repair work, those power bricks run a bit warm normally, which always made me a little leery of them. They also seemed to fail quite a bit.

Still, considering you have evidence of there being a significant electrical short in there already, I'd say yes it is a fire hazard. That sort of thing simply should not be happening, and the fact that it is suggests that there is some kind of serious electrical issue. If you keep using that thing, I'd put it on a rubber mat or something that isn't easily combustible.

Also, considering that power adapter is part of the display unit, and in traditional Apple style, cannot be removed... Even if you replaced the power brick, there's damage to the monitor power feed which could just end up damaging any replacement.

I'd put it up on ebay for someone who wants to try their hand at opening it up and replacing those cables along with the power brick. Use the proceeds to get something else. I'll refrain from making any suggestions for fear of appearing biased. :D

Thank you for your input. For the time being I've placed it on a rubber mat like you suggested, and I'll also continue completely unplugging it whenever I'll be away from the PC for an extended amount of time.

I'll refrain from making any suggestions for fear of appearing biased. :D
If you have any suggestions regarding Asus 23" IPS displays, I'm all ears. :) I'm open to any suggestion at this point.

Back