Scientists Turn Smartphone Into Food Poisoning Detector

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Scientists at the University of Massachussetts Amherst have figured out how to turn a smartphone into a food poisoning detector. All you have to do is add a $30 microscope attachment to your smartphone and run their app after rinsing the suspected food with water. The microscope and app work together and detect the presense of dangerous bacteria in 30 minutes. If you cook a lot of chicken, raw vegetables and the like then this would be nice to have. It's not available yet, but once it's out in the market I bet it sells well to consumers and restaurants alike.

"Right now, this is really preliminary," said McLandsborough. "We can detect bacteria with the iPhone, but we don't know if they're pathogenic — if they're harmful bacteria or good bacteria."

I like this idea. But, if you have to rinse the food, it isn't very useful to inspect before the purchase. Next.

I like this idea. But, if you have to rinse the food, it isn't very useful to inspect before the purchase. Next.
But that package of chicken you left in the fridge for 4 days... I'd be interested. Although I've gotten to the point in life where I'll eat 1+ year expired dressings/marinades and haven't gotten hit yet *knocking on wood*

"We can detect bacteria with the iPhone, but we don't know if they're pathogenic - if they're harmful bacteria or good bacteria."

^^

Made useless in one sentence.

pretty much. you can point it at all sorts of things and see bacteria

Scientists at the University of Massachussetts Amherst have figured out how to turn a smartphone into a food poisoning detector. All you have to do is add a $30 microscope attachment to your smartphone and run their app after rinsing the suspected food with water. The microscope and app work together and detect the presense of dangerous bacteria in 30 minutes. If you cook a lot of chicken, raw vegetables and the like then this would be nice to have. It's not available yet, but once it's out in the market I bet it sells well to consumers and restaurants alike.

"Right now, this is really preliminary," said McLandsborough. "We can detect bacteria with the iPhone, but we don't know if they're pathogenic — if they're harmful bacteria or good bacteria."

Actually its neat but its not as practical as claimed. If you cook the food the bacteria is killed in the cooking process and if not this tester wont help. You'll be waiting 30 minutes and risking good food getting contaminated (and cold) while you wait for the test.

This is really only useful for raw items that will be consumed.

Along similar lines, I've developed an automatic violence deterrent for schools. Right now it merely detects "humans". I call it ED 209.

"We can detect bacteria with the iPhone, but we don't know if they're pathogenic - if they're harmful bacteria or good bacteria."

^^

Made useless in one sentence.

pretty much. you can point it at all sorts of things and see bacteria

Which was acknowledged in the very next sentence as they are working on a way to distinguish between different types. It's hardly useless it's just that the article was written to get people's attention rather than convey the science.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
A smartphone is a full blown computer that runs software and is easily attached to peripherals. Seems odd to focus on that, rather than the implication. "Scientists build extremely affordable device to detect food poisoning" would be a better headline IMO

A smartphone is a full blown computer that runs software and is easily attached to peripherals. Seems odd to focus on that, rather than the implication. "Scientists build extremely affordable device to detect food poisoning" would be a better headline IMO
Yeah, we know that... but when you say its an APP in a PHONE.. ohhh ahhhh... AMAZING!

Aim it at another smartphone and see how much dangerous bacteria exists. Ha! In other words, keep your smartphone away from my food.

Aim it at another smartphone and see how much dangerous bacteria exists. Ha! In other words, keep your smartphone away from my food.

I was just going to say that, dirtier than a toilet seat my friend, keep it away! I suppose it would be ok for steak, I always let them rest at least 30 minutes (do it, huge difference when cooking) and mayyybe chicken although I don't like leaving that out so long. Seafood, unless razor clams, no way, I don't want that sitting out 30 minutes.

Could be loads of fun with food left under heat lamps in gas station at 3am. :)

Back