Scientists Report Finding Reliable Way to Teleport Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is pretty damn cool. Einstein probably wouldn't think so but everyone else will.

In a paper published Thursday in the journal Science, physicists at the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience at the Delft University of Technology reported that they were able to reliably teleport information between two quantum bits separated by three meters, or about 10 feet.

Einstein would be cool with it as long as the information didn't arrive faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

As long as its repeatable in the same place and other institutions, I'll assimilate it.
Until then...

Forget speed at all. Fold space and be done with it.
We'd all need to use the same space folding algorithm though, if you accidentally used the wrong one it would make a right mess.

Im pretty sure we've been teleporting data since the internet was invented...

I believe quantum entanglement is faster than light.

That's what they're trying to prove, they haven't done it yet though.

That said, I so fucking hope so, the speed of light is such a god damn drag on wanting to explore the Universe, hell even if it's just communication and space ships are restricted to the speed of light.

so.. you want to teleport to Somalia, right?

Extreme exampling are we. So, yes, just mentioning such reasonable things means I should go to one of the worst places on Earth that you could think of. You're a wiener.

Extreme exampling are we. So, yes, just mentioning such reasonable things means I should go to one of the worst places on Earth that you could think of. You're a wiener.

Couldnt you see he wasnt being serious?
It had a decent amusement factor imo :)

I want quantum internet, no need for cable. Maybe someday this will cables competition a wireless internet that is faster and less latency.

This is great news for online gaming. Now you can play with a low ping from all over the planet.

And this is sadly probably the thing that interests people the most about it lol.

This is great news for online gaming. Now you can play with a low ping from all over the planet.

And this is sadly probably the thing that interests people the most about it lol.

Taking this to the next level is a cheap trip to Paris for the weekend/day. I think that's pretty darn interesting.

So when can we start buying Ansible sim-cards for cell phones and other data devices?

This is pretty damn cool. Einstein probably wouldn't think so but everyone else will.

Einstein would be VERY uncool about this...
Sending bits across relations in-context to quantum entanglement will lead to somewhat bizarre discoveries given that items area leaving and re-appearing in "known space"

- as in what happens when those bits are no longer here-nor-there... but instead: here, there, and in-between?

I believe each usage of that device spins off its own universe (parallel) - this required to keep the laws enforced post "big-bang".

Already an infinite amount of 'em, a few more won't hurt anything :p

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode where the transporter malfunctioned and set off a chain reaction spinning off an infinite number of new/additional realities (universes).

"When will it all end?" Kirk asks.
"It ends when there's no more energy left to create the next universe," Spock replies. "And it's at that point," he continues... eyebrows raised, "that everything collapses back unto itself. The world, all that... as you say, God created... comes to an end."

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode where the transporter malfunctioned and set off a chain reaction spinning off an infinite number of new/additional realities (universes).

"When will it all end?" Kirk asks.
"It ends when there's no more energy left to create the next universe," Spock replies. "And it's at that point," he continues... eyebrows raised, "that everything collapses back unto itself. The world, all that... as you say, God created... comes to an end."

That episode must have been true. Just look at the star trek they had in their alternative reality, everyone was wearing 60's sci-fi clothing and 60's sci-fi tech, look how different Star Trek looks in our reality plane.

Yeah I always feel sorry for the gamers in Australia that rarely get to play with the NA/Euro crowd without 300+ms pings. Then for us there's the whole getting into Asian MMORPGs before they are released here in the west and dealing with the same problem.

Back