Scientists Figure Out How to Harvest Body Kinetic Energy

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Someday, scratching yourself might power your BlueTooth headset. Well, maybe not but the idea of using body movements to power items has been something many researchers have pondered but few have solved. Some brains at Princeton University have figured out a way to do it via printable piezoelectric crystals. Cool beans!

A first application might be in shoes, to produce enough power to keep a music player or phone charged. But the eventual goal would be to make a flexible power generator that could be implanted in the chest or elsewhere.

Hahaha, I think this is an old idea..
Remember those LA Lights shoes that flashed red when you walked...

The problem is you don't get anything for free, if you're making a particular movement whether it's scratching your head, running or jerking off it's because you're putting in just the right amount of energy to do that, if you start pulling energy out of doing that then you have to do more work to jerk off to get the same results.. and there's no way science is going to take that away from me!

god if sex was a method of generating electricity me and my wife could power the whole damn block

god if sex was a method of generating electricity me and my wife could power the whole damn block

And your wife and I could power the whole city !
zing!

just kidding.

I could see this tech powering a bluetooth or a music player... anything more than that would probably involve some stupidly large + heavy battery pack. ( stupidly large being anything larger than a D-cell, imo )

Sounds like a great way to become a lighting rod...

Well think about pacemakers being powered by the body. Instead of having to go in for a battery replacement, the patient can just go for a walk and recharge the battery. Or if you're stuck in an emergency situation and your phone is dead, you can provide some emergency power for the phone by flailing your arms for a few minutes.

Well think about pacemakers being powered by the body. Instead of having to go in for a battery replacement, the patient can just go for a walk and recharge the battery. Or if you're stuck in an emergency situation and your phone is dead, you can provide some emergency power for the phone by flailing your arms for a few minutes.

Who, me? Oh, I'm just flailing my arm like a lunatic because I really really really need to charge the battery so I can power my phone and resume my sex call. That shit ain't cheap, bro. And the tally is running!

im still all for the 2-probes drilled into your head technique, but a non invasive way would be nice i guess.

Power from bouncing breasts!
Don't worry, it's work-safe. :)

Hmmm.... Bouncing D-cups... Up, hang in mid-air, down, stretch a bit, then up, hang in mid-air... Sometimes they even make a figure 8 during the motion... drooooool.

Now if only there was a way to make girls/women to walk around naked and call it fashion, then I'd die happy. Anyone want to join me in my campaign to ban all underwear and make skirts the size of a belt?!

battery_morpheus.jpg

The problem is you don't get anything for free, if you're making a particular movement whether it's scratching your head, running or jerking off it's because you're putting in just the right amount of energy to do that, if you start pulling energy out of doing that then you have to do more work to jerk off to get the same results.. and there's no way science is going to take that away from me!

Did you even read it? lol. It uses piezoelectric crystals that produce an electric current when bent. There's no energy taken from the body. It's similar to friction.

Did you even read it? lol. It uses piezoelectric crystals that produce an electric current when bent. There's no energy taken from the body. It's similar to friction.

Laws of thermodynamics buddy. Your body will have to go through extra effort to "bend" those crystals. Stop thinking that this exists.

Laws of thermodynamics buddy. Your body will have to go through extra effort to "bend" those crystals. Stop thinking that this exists.

No, it's like wearing a glove. Bend you fingers and the glove will bend with it. It's the flexing and unflexing that cause the electricity, "Buddy." And it looks like the amount of force that goes into bending will create more electricity which is why walking creates 70 watts.

Once again, Piezoelectric crystals produce an electric current when bent. It's in the article.

No, it's like wearing a glove. Bend you fingers and the glove will bend with it. It's the flexing and unflexing that cause the electricity, "Buddy." And it looks like the amount of force that goes into bending will create more electricity which is why walking creates 70 watts.

Once again, Piezoelectric crystals produce an electric current when bent. It's in the article.

If you put a glove on, your body has to use extra energy to move your finger. The glove RESISTS that motion. When you put a jacket on an walk somewhere, you are using extra energy to carry that jacket. There is no free energy.

If you put a glove on, your body has to use extra energy to move your finger. The glove RESISTS that motion. When you put a jacket on an walk somewhere, you are using extra energy to carry that jacket. There is no free energy.

02obribbon_ready-articleInline.jpg

It's a small rubber like piece that bends with the normal movement of whatever your doing. There isn't going to be lots of resistance, especially when your stepping. And I never thought there was "free energy." :mad:

Actually wouldn't that be a good thing if it required more engery from the person wearing it? It could be marketed not only a power source but as a weight loss aid as you now how to use more energy to do your everyday task. So you might increase your calorie burn by 1 or 2%.

Hmmm.... Bouncing D-cups... Up, hang in mid-air, down, stretch a bit, then up, hang in mid-air... Sometimes they even make a figure 8 during the motion... drooooool.

Now if only there was a way to make girls/women to walk around naked and call it fashion, then I'd die happy. Anyone want to join me in my campaign to ban all underwear and make skirts the size of a belt?!

No because there are a lot of fat chicks out there.

It's a small rubber like piece that bends with the normal movement of whatever your doing. There isn't going to be lots of resistance, especially when your stepping. And I never thought there was "free energy." :mad:

We know what it is, the point is that if they're generating electricity it's coming from your movement. The amount of extra energy it takes must be *greater* than the amount of electricity generated.

Now, we're talking about powering an iPod so I don't know how noticeable any resistance would be. Fact remains, if these things are generating electricity, you're powering them, and you *will* use extra energy to do it.

God forbid the nerds around here use any physical energy to accomplish anything. So what if it takes physical energy to create electrical energy? The resistance in that device is so minute you wouldn't even notice it's there.

Now if they could create a device that generates electricity from the energy I expend while dropping a deuce. I'm in!

Lol. nice.

It's an innovative idea, but no way anything would be implanted in my body, anywhere. That's too weird.

I know scientists have been working for years on trying to harness KE generated by the body. Kudos to this breakthrough. Some of the comments posted here are golden. :D :cool:

Awesome, people will now have their own KERS. Extra walking speed when deployed!

Back