Scientists Create Stretchable Battery Made Entirely Out of Fabric

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A research team has developed an entirely textile-based, bacteria-powered bio-battery that could one day be integrated into wearable electronics. The batteries exhibited stable electricity-generating capability even when tested under repeated stretching and twisting cycles.

Compared to traditional batteries and other enzymatic fuel cells, microbial fuel cells can be the most suitable power source for wearable electronics because the whole microbial cells as a biocatalyst provide stable enzymatic reactions and a long lifetime. Sweat generated from the human body can be a potential fuel to support bacterial viability, providing the long-term operation of the microbial fuel cells.

Until the microbes take over and we all become Borg. Or maybe this will start the Zombie apocalypse.

So flexible screens and textile batteries, so when is the first pillow smartphone coming?

So it's really a small fuel cell / generator, not worth much a battery. Neat. Practical? Not so sure. But - gadget.

im assuming this is a last resort bug out bag type of gadget. stop bleeding to death AND play music as you die, with the same device! and if its bacterial driven, every sinus infection means free recharging!

Just what I needed, underwear that can charge my cell phone. Or roast my nuts. Win / Win!

If this could be turned into something you could fap with the world's energy problems could be solved. You could run entire cities from this.

Back