Scientists Create Dark Matter 'Map' To See Invisible Space

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this is a map of invisible space, I guess we'll just have to take the scientist's word on how accurate it is. ;)

"Our goal all this time has been to see the invisible -- to see dark matter," said Sarah Bridle, an astrophysics professor at the University of Manchester told the BBC. "To be able to look at a map and say, 'That part of the sky's got more dark matter in it, that bit's empty,' is the dream that we've had all this time."

I still contend that it is our definition of the interaction of matter, energy, and gravity in the universe that is incorrect. To me it seems more plausible than an unobservable mass distorting our perceptions.

The comments on that article bring up another interesting point: dark matter and dark energy are not the same thing, even though they are used interchangeably by the article's author. If this is confusing for a science journalist, it is probably only more confusing for the rest of us.

Perhaps a theoretical physicist can indulge a question that I have: if matter is energy in another form, and assuming that both dark matter/dark energy exist, could dark matter simply be dark energy in another form?

Matter should not be judge by the color of its atoms but by the character of its neutrons and protons.
Dark Matter Matter!

I still contend that it is our definition of the interaction of matter, energy, and gravity in the universe that is incorrect. To me it seems more plausible than an unobservable mass distorting our perceptions.

The comments on that article bring up another interesting point: dark matter and dark energy are not the same thing, even though they are used interchangeably by the article's author. If this is confusing for a science journalist, it is probably only more confusing for the rest of us.

Perhaps a theoretical physicist can indulge a question that I have: if matter is energy in another form, and assuming that both dark matter/dark energy exist, could dark matter simply be dark energy in another form?

You should probably watch this, it explains that all significantly better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWCkcn7TD4

I still contend that it is our definition of the interaction of matter, energy, and gravity in the universe that is incorrect. To me it seems more plausible than an unobservable mass distorting our perceptions...

I always found this talk pretty pertinent on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwyTaSt0XxE&t=24m40s (basically an overview of the hurdles and constraints that exist when you try to hash out a real theory to get rid of dark matter, as well as the efforts in the past few decades to do exactly this and how they failed.) It's worth watching if not simply for the fact that it gave me a better appreciation for just how much real empiricism exists in this domain, and why it is that developing a working alternative explanation is so difficult.

Matter should not be judge by the color of its atoms but by the character of its neutrons and protons.
Dark Matter Matter!

lolololololololololol

I get that, and its funny!

Back