Scientists able to turn ferromagnetism on/off in non-magnetic materials

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Gatorade and 1 volt = Ferromagnetism

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-gold-valuable.html

In the study, the researchers used a technique called electrolyte gating. They took the non-magnetic iron sulfide material and put it in a device in contact with an ionic solution, or electrolyte, comparable to Gatorade. They then applied as little as 1 volt (less voltage than a household battery), moved positively charged molecules to the interface between the electrolyte and the iron sulfide, and induced magnetism. Importantly, they were able to turn off the voltage and return the material to its non-magnetic state, meaning that they can reversibly switch the magnetism on and off.

Manganese isn't magnetic either. Till you put Manganese Oxide in a crystal with Iron Oxide and Zinc Oxide.
The soft ferrite used for the chokes on your MB and GPU is working the Manganese, not so much the Iron.
Somehow it picks up a much needed clue from the Iron, but the iron is a hard lossy fridge magnet. You want
to stay well below the threhold of Iron's permanent involvement. In chokes, its all about the Manganese.
No idea what Zinc Oxide's purpose might be in Ferrite...

Then there's Heusler alloys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heusler_compound
Just saying its not unknown for magnetism to be created or destroyed by neighboring electrons.

The artcle didn't say how fast or efficiently electrolyte Voltage might switch magnetism on/off.
To be useful, must beat traditional magamps and parametrons switched or pumped by Current saturation.

Last edited:
Aluminum isn't magnetic either... However, turn it molten and surround with a DC field, and it becomes magnetic. It's how they pour giant aluminum ingots, the DC method.

I assume this would give motors the ability to have high steady state force with low amperage. Basically high torque position holding control with a motor with lower amperage and size. Basically you can make Gundham's.

I assume this would give motors the ability to have high steady state force with low amperage. Basically high torque position holding control with a motor with lower amperage and size. Basically you can make Gundham's.

No.

Aluminum isn't magnetic either... However, turn it molten and surround with a DC field, and it becomes magnetic. It's how they pour giant aluminum ingots, the DC method.
Just wanted to clarify because I was trying to look up this process:
DC field: DC electric field? just a plain static electric field? Or current passing through the molten metal? Or static magnetic field?
DC method: direct chill casting?

Nobody tell that Magneto guy about this.... that guy will take control of the world's supply of sports drinks!

Just wanted to clarify because I was trying to look up this process:
DC field: DC electric field? just a plain static electric field? Or current passing through the molten metal? Or static magnetic field?
DC method: direct chill casting?

Using DCV to create a large electromagnetic field around the Milton aluminum as it is poured.

Yes, direct chill casting is one interesting method.

I had my terminology incorrect though. This is the process I was describing: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03221174

Back