Sci-Fi Series From George R.R. Martin Coming to SyFy This Fall

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
George R.R. Martin is well known for his Game of Thrones series of books and the HBO series, but he also dabbles in Sci-Fi and has a new show coming to SyFy this fall. It's called Nightflyers and the show claims to be a psychological thriller. After watching the trailer some of the scenes remind me of the original Alien, but Martin says it's like Psycho in space. However, since this is on SyFy I'm sure it's going to die off quickly and be replaced just as quickly. Check out (directs to YouTube) the trailer.

Watch the trailer here.

Based on his novella from 1980 and executive produced by him, the new show finds a group of spacefarers embarking on a mission - only to find that not everything aboard their own ship is entirely as it seems.

Comments on youtube are not very nice.

Looks like the same kinda crap we've all seen a gazillion times.

Did not watch the trailer, don't care. Dude needs to stop spreading himself so thin and fucking finish GOT. This guy is going to die with a pile of half finished works because he can't focus on one project.
I mostly agree, he needs to finish song of ice and fire first, then he can go do whatever else he wants.

hes a hack. and syfy is terrible, besides actually changing their name to SY-FY they are actively throwing every show they can make at the wall to see what can be their own GoT or Breaking Bad. Anything that half of america doesnt watch in the first 2 episodes is immediately canceled. SAD!

I suspect Game of Thrones (the novels) will never be finished. He is letting HBO wrap up the story instead...

GRRM was a great author 15+ years ago.

But he is dead to me since the crap Dance with Dragons release.

And the fact that he overstepped his skills at world building and created something better and more complicated than he is able to finish.

Therefore the fans of the first half of ASOIAF will never get the release and finality they deserve.

Read the book and it sucked. You aren't missing anything. The dude's mom is the AI on the ship and won't let her baby boy go play with space aliens.

There, that's why it's Psycho in space. Mom fetish thing.

Should be more like Friday 13th Part 1/2

No spoilers cause the book is 30 years old.

If it's on Syfy how many times per episode do we have to hear the words "mankind destroyed the planet", "global warming", "climate change", or "tornado"?

And yeah, he really turned a self-absorbed jacknob partway through the HBO deal when it became obvious he was only in it for absolutely max money and didn't care a dang bit about finishing the books. The stories diverged and it's been HOW MANY YEARS since he released a GOT book?

Why in the world would he partner with SyFy?
Streaming, bro. Get rid of your suspenders, buy a belt and get with the times!

Ugh, so it's a drama? At least it has space and ships. It's more "sci-fi" than most crap these days

If HBO didn't pick it up, so instead it landed on SyFy, you know its gunna... suck.

Eh..I find the infatuation with GRRM odd to be honest. I've been a huge fantasy fan for most of my life. I have read more forgotten realms stuff than I can remember, especially R. A Salvatore. I have just never found GRRM's stuff deep or very interesting. I don't even find GoT watchable on any level, it just feels like it is all over the fucking place.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
If it's great it'll be picked up by another network.
If it sucks it'll go through 20 season on SyFy

hes a hack. and syfy is terrible, besides actually changing their name to SY-FY they are actively throwing every show they can make at the wall to see what can be their own GoT or Breaking Bad. Anything that half of america doesnt watch in the first 2 episodes is immediately canceled. SAD!

but but but the expanse

Eh..I find the infatuation with GRRM odd to be honest. I've been a huge fantasy fan for most of my life. I have read more forgotten realms stuff than I can remember, especially R. A Salvatore. I have just never found GRRM's stuff deep or very interesting. I don't even find GoT watchable on any level, it just feels like it is all over the fucking place.

I agree with some of this. His writing style is unique, and I really don't care for it. It does get very chaotic when you have so many different stories happening simultaneously, and hanging perspective from chapter to chapter doesn't help either. I also think he can be very long winded at times, needlessly fleshing out unimportant aspects of the story. I love the universe he created though, and I'm invested enough in the characters and the conflict that I can overlook the aspects of his writing that I don't care for.

At this point though, I've pretty much given up on the book series being finished. At that pace he's writing them, I don't see him getting the last two books out before he kicks the bucket. While many of the fans of the novel would disagree, I'm glad that HBO is getting the chance to tell the story to completion.

Still waiting for a Peter F. Hamilton TV series. I mean his earlier universes before he toned down the sex like reality dysfunction even come pre-loaded with demonic possession and bouncing genetically engineered boobies. HBO should be on that...

Still remember the Nightflyers movie in the 80's. Cheesy now but back then it was the only movie I remember that game me a nightmare...

I agree with some of this. His writing style is unique, and I really don't care for it. It does get very chaotic when you have so many different stories happening simultaneously, and hanging perspective from chapter to chapter doesn't help either. I also think he can be very long winded at times, needlessly fleshing out unimportant aspects of the story. I love the universe he created though, and I'm invested enough in the characters and the conflict that I can overlook the aspects of his writing that I don't care for.

At this point though, I've pretty much given up on the book series being finished. At that pace he's writing them, I don't see him getting the last two books out before he kicks the bucket. While many of the fans of the novel would disagree, I'm glad that HBO is getting the chance to tell the story to completion.

Many authors manage to have numerous story lines and events without it turning into a chaotic unreadable mess. I think the better way to put it is, He has a great imagination to be able to create this stuff, but he is absolutely an awful writer. His books could be amazing if he had someone do the writing for him.

I'll give it a shot since trailers never give series shows justice. Honestly I'm glad that Amazon picked up the Expanse. SYFY doesn't seem to know a good series when they've got one. If this series is any good SYFY will drop it after a couple series and one of the streamers will pick it up. Hopefully Amazon doesn't fuck up Expanse!

oh look another Dead Space/Event Horizon.

Still will watch to see if it's any good.

The Expanse is currently where it's at though.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." ?

( AKA: Hey visitor to our site... FKC YOU, don't LOOK at me ! ! ! )

SYFY is dead to me after they cancelled Dark Matter and the Expanse. Both great shows that they negotiated the worst deals in the in history of deals for, twice. Unbelievable.

At least Amazon has some vision and picked up the Expanse.

THIS 1000x. First not one but all three Stargate series and then Dark Matter. SyFy is plain out of fucking chances with me anymore.

I’m not fan of his writings I also don’t like GoT but I understand why it’s popular. That said they should just get the event horizon rights and do that but it won’t be as good as the movie; not without the gore, the high end cinematography or star power. Let’s face it SyFy has sucked, they have to be running bone dry as all their shows take a nose dive in quality after the first season.

Still waiting for a Peter F. Hamilton TV series. I mean his earlier universes before he toned down the sex like reality dysfunction even come pre-loaded with demonic possession and bouncing genetically engineered boobies. HBO should be on that...

Reality Dysfunction was a great space opera. As a rule I don't like books with more than two plot lines, but Reality Dysfunction was an awesome hot mess. I don't know if an author can do something like that more than once in a life time.

The Reality Dysfunction series, The Belgeriad, Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, The Forge of God, Watership Down ... all are some of my favorite books. But I don't know if any of them could translate well to video, no matter what the format.

George RR Martin is a literary genius on par with Tolkien in terms of creating epic fantasy worlds with actual history and lore...

George RR Martin is a literary genius on par with Tolkien in terms of creating epic fantasy worlds with actual history and lore...

And a dipshit on par with Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) for being unable to finish the series.

I loved the first two books in the Game of Throne series, but I broke one of my lifelong rules by reading them - never read a book in a series until the entire series comes out. Game of Thrones came out in 1996, 21 years ago. It is my belief that if you can't wrap up a series of books in 10 years, you shouldn't publish the first one. And if you did publish the first one but didn't get the series wrapped up in time, everyone who bought a copy of the first (and subsequent) books should be allowed to demand a full refund from the author.

P.S. Did I mention I was the president and founder of the "Robert Jordan Must Be Murdered (As An Example To Other Authors)" club?

Back