School me boys and girls

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have been out of the loop for awhile persuing my passion for firearms. My rig is getttig a little long in the tooth and I am getting the upgrade itch.

What video card will spank my GTX 275 for the lowest cost while keeping my machine from sounding like a hellicoptor? I wish to stick with Nvidia

Thanks in advance

Why do you want to replace your 275? I had one burn up on me when my PC went in May, but at least in may I could run all my games at 1600x1200 at more than playable FPS with full settings. Now that excludes Crysis obviously lol.

As for a GTX560 vs a 560 Ti, id go for the Ti, its worth the extra cost, as it OC's very well and has the extra shaders, a GTX560 would be a minor upgrade, because a 275 will tie a GTX460 and a 560 is just an OC'd 460

hmm that card is showing @ $255 - $30 mir = $225 vs the the reg 560 @ $169.99 after mir, I highly doubt there is a $55 benefit of getting the Ti version.

You have to click the "price in cart" 225$- 30 rebate = $195 and the TI version is well worth the extra 25$.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...162074&cm_re=gtx560_ti-_-14-162-074-_-Product

You cannot compare a gtx275 fps with direct x 10, to a directx 11 cards fps in most games. A gtx275 is only slightly faster than a 5770, mabe 5%.

Last edited:
Get a 560ti or better or you will be dissapointed. A 560 is basically a 460 OC which is a bump above your card.

I also vote for a GTX 560 Ti. However try and see if you can get a higher overclock on that cpu, also get rid of the 8800GT for physX and use the GTX 275 for PhysX instead.

You guys must be from a different planet than I am. He wants significant improvement on a GTX275. A 560ti is a mild step up. OP I'd save money rather than buy that card you will not see a serious difference. If you're going to bother spending money go with a 570 or 6970. At least something a tier or two up.

You guys must be from a different planet than I am. He wants significant improvement on a GTX275. A 560ti is a mild step up. OP I'd save money rather than buy that card you will not see a serious difference. If you're going to bother spending money go with a 570 or 6970. At least something a tier or two up.

Yeh going to wait a bit and cry once

I'm not sure what the budget is, but it's really hard to beat a reference 6950 that has been shader unlocked and runs @ 6970 speeds. I've seen them sell around $220 used. I ran three of them for a while (now down to two since I sold one to a friend) and they are stupid fast.

Thanks for the input. I am hoping to get into the 250 range.

In that case there really is no comparison, the 6950 unlocked to 6970 will be significantly faster than anything else in the thread.

In that case there really is no comparison, the 6950 unlocked to 6970 will be significantly faster than anything else in the thread.

Well i have to sell my old card first, scrape up so more dough when i get back to work after i recover (hopefully some virus clean up side work is waiting) and then I would like to stick to nvidia. I just prefer the drivers. It would help if someone would just buy my video camera lol

Shameless for sale plug: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1631843

Seems like the perfect solution but I have always purchased EVGA. Galaxy any good?

Maybe the best solution is to get a second gtx275 on the cheap . Will I miss out on much or is dx11. Coming into it's own these days. Don't laugh, as I said,I have been out of the loop for a year ever since my wife purchased a AR 15 for me for my birthday

I could be wrong but I think that will still be slower than a single unlocked 6950, all while being louder, hotter, and consuming more power, but I'm double checking with benchmarks now.

EDIT: Yeah, it's true.

Honestly I understand you want to stay with Nvidia drivers, but there really is nothing on the market comparable to the 6950 unlocked. There's one for sale for $225 in the FS section right now and it is the single fastest card on the market except for the $500 GTX 580 - and even that is only a few percentage points faster.

Not to mention, I've had more problems with Nvidia drivers than ATI lately. Do you realize there is no overscan setting in Nvidia drivers? How dumb is that - it's causing me big problems with my HTPC setup.

Seems like the perfect solution but I have always purchased EVGA. Galaxy any good?

Yes, they are one of the better companies and offers a 3 years warranty, not that you will keep the card that long anyway. :)
Many will overclock to gtx570 speeds also. Hurry the sale ends soon.

Well, I ended up going EVGA 560ti gave the 275 to my oldest son, took his 8800gt for physics and my third monitor and all is well.

I just need to sell all my stuff in the FS forum before the credit card bill comes lol

If you consider "a mild step up" to be 60-100% more FPS, depending on the game.

A GTX560Ti from a GTX275 is probably no more than 45-50%. A GTX570 from a GTX260 is a good 90-95% if it's the 216-core version, 110-120% if it's the 192. Quite a significant difference.

Back