Schiit Modi/Magni Stack and Sound Blaster Software Question

Lights Out

n00b
I'm purchasing the Schiit stack but would also like to use surround virtualization for gaming. I was thinking about purchasing the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software suite to accomplish this.

With a sound card, I know this wouldn't work because you essentially bypass the sound card when using USB. You are unable to select two playback devices.

However, with the software suite, it technically isn't tied to a playback device is it? The effects should still be applied via software/cpu. Would it work or would the audio stream still bypass the software and flow directly to the external DAC?

Last edited:
I have no idea, but am watching with some interest because I use Schiit gear now too.

I have no idea, but am watching with some interest because I use Schiit gear now too.

If worse comes to worst, I'm pretty sure the Razer Surround software will work. It is currently free up until the end of 2013 if you're interested. I however think that Creative's SBX is superior so I'm trying to find anyone with some insight on the SB X-Fi software suite.

I can't speak for the product in question, but typically things like surround virtualization or encoding a la DD Live! install a 'virtual' sound device which you select as your audio output, and then the software itself receives the audio streams and allows you to select the proper physical output.

So you'd set your sound card to be the Creative software, and then in the Creative software you'd select your Schiit stack as it's output.

this is something I'm interested in. I just upped my audio game greatly with the HE-400s and have a fiio17 , but I am using the audio out of the motherboard. Im wondering if a card will up the overall sound, or the amp and dac are enough.

this is something I'm interested in. I just upped my audio game greatly with the HE-400s and have a fiio17 , but I am using the audio out of the motherboard. Im wondering if a card will up the overall sound, or the amp and dac are enough.

Well the amp and the dac will essentially do the same exact thing that a sound card is doing.

The major differences are that one is obviously external components while the other is internal; and many sound cards are packaged with software suites that can manipulate audio with effects. It is up to you whether or not you enjoy these effects.

Except the Amp is much better than any internal sound card Amp I've used and the DAC is pretty good as well.

You don't buy external DAC's for sound effects. A solid pair of cans can naturally emulate a surround sound type effect. I think codecs like Dolby Headphone rarely sound that great compared to a better open pair of cans.

I honestly can't think of a better setup for the price than the Schiit Modi/Magni stack right now. You'll need to double the price to start getting a small increase in quality.

Once you go past that you're talking thousands of dollars for a real upgrade.

Except the Amp is much better than any internal sound card Amp I've used and the DAC is pretty good as well.

You don't buy external DAC's for sound effects. A solid pair of cans can naturally emulate a surround sound type effect. I think codecs like Dolby Headphone rarely sound that great compared to a better open pair of cans.

I honestly can't think of a better setup for the price than the Schiit Modi/Magni stack right now. You'll need to double the price to start getting a small increase in quality.

Once you go past that you're talking thousands of dollars for a real upgrade.

Indeed, the Schiit amp is definitely superior and the DAC should be on par, if not slightly better in comparison to ~$250 sound cards. For anyone with low impedance headphones, you may need to lower windows volume because the Magni does have a high gain. May make the volume knob quite sensitive to volume increases.

Back