SCEA: PS3 Sales tripple since price drop

Ps3 finally selling like it should.. Good to see, hopefully it'll pick up in the coming months.

NPD Nov seems to me is gona be ruled by Wii
NeoGAF has an interesting piece of info that Wii sold 350k last week and 300k the previous :eek:

NeoGAF has an interesting piece of info that Wii sold 350k last week and 300k the previous :eek:

Yeah Wii is so cheap it's already reaching mass market status.
I was surprised to learn the PS3 outsold the Wii in Japan after the new SKU launched.

Wow... just last year the PS3 was $599, are they really doing that badly? I knew from day one the PS3 was an overpriced POS.

and the wii is a cheap kids toy...

and the 360 is a reasonably priced lemon...

:rolleyes:

I'm sure the format war will be decided soon enough too by this. I mean, it's just ridiculous how long it's been going on. It'd be nice if everybody just kissed and made up. lol

Wow... just last year the PS3 was $599, are they really doing that badly? I knew from day one the PS3 was an overpriced POS.

PS3 launched at $500 and $600. Now it's $400 and $500. If X360 launched with built-in HD-DVD, hardware BC and Wi-Fi it would have cost $600-700 at launch easily. New tech always costs more before economies of scale kick in. MS gamers will continue to pay a small price without a mandatory hard drive or high capacity storage media. You can't have it both ways. First Sony was crazy for throwing so much into just a "game console", it was too expensive. But now it's wedged right between the premium and elite MSRP while offering more features than either (high definition movie playback). An aggressive price drop is positive news for all but Sony's competitors. Really bad trolling on your part.

I'm sure the format war will be decided soon enough too by this. I mean, it's just ridiculous how long it's been going on. It'd be nice if everybody just kissed and made up. lol

I saw a pie chart recently, since the Spiderman 3 vs Transformers face off, Blu-ray sales have lead HD-DVD movie sales 75 to 25%.

Glad someone found it funny, I didn't post the snarky reply I wanted to... :D

PS3 launched at $500 and $600. Now it's $400 and $500. If X360 launched with built-in HD-DVD, hardware BC and Wi-Fi it would have cost $600-700 at launch easily. New tech always costs more before economies of scale kick in. MS gamers will continue to pay a small price without a mandatory hard drive or high capacity storage media. You can't have it both ways. First Sony was crazy for throwing so much into just a "game console", it was too expensive. But now it's wedged right between the premium and elite MSRP while offering more features than either (high definition movie playback). An aggressive price drop is positive news for all but Sony's competitors. Really bad trolling on your part.

Well since you didn't answer my question I decided to have a look at the numbers.

"Nintendo has now sold more than 9.02 million units worldwide since its launch in November 2006. Apparently Microsoft's Xbox 360 (Launch: November 2005) is firmly in second place with more than 8.8 million sold. Sony's PlayStation 3 is meanwhile trailing the pack with console sales of 3.7 million since its launch last year in November"

Talk about a fuckin' beat.

I hate to sound like I'm raining on the PS3 parade, but all tech items (including consoles) receive a huge boost of sales in November every year. Sony's 300% means nothing when looked at relatively.

Nintendo will have sold close to a million Wii's and more than a million DS's in the US from November sales alone.
Sources
http://kotaku.com/gaming/black-friday/nintendo-350k-wii-sold-last-week-record-ds-sales-327167.php
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700ap_us_holiday_sales_wii.html

Nintendo are on track to sell 17 million Wii's worldwide by middle of next year.

November NPD (should be out in about 2 weeks from now I guesstimate) will be amazing statistically speaking. 650,000 DS's in the US, in ONE WEEK ? Damn thats 1 per second.

There is no longer a race for first place this gen, thats already decided. Its the fight for second place between Sony and Microsoft thats still undecided.

Well since you didn't answer my question I decided to have a look at the numbers.
July ?
We're almost into Decemeber, that data is old

This has been gone over so many times. Chart first year world wide sales of PS3 vs X360, they are practically tied, with X360 leading NA and PS3 leading in Europe and Japan. X360 has been out two years, PS3 only one. Of course it's got a smaller install base. PS3 launched with a $200 higher MSRP. That price differential is down to $50. The price drop has increased the slack demand. Your first post in this thread was juvenile.

I hate to sound like I'm raining on the PS3 parade, but all tech items (including consoles) receive a huge boost of sales in November every year. Sony's 300% means nothing when looked at relatively.

Relatively of course one month of higher sales won't change Sony's market share.
I'm sure Nintendo and MS are experiencing an increase in sales as well, although I doubt 298% in one month. All 3 consoles will sell a lot this holiday season.

The point of the thread is the PS3, since the price drop and release of some truly AAA exclusive games like Uncharted and Ratchet Future, is finally gathering momentum and achieving critical mass. It got off to a rocky start but the future is looking better.

The Wii is the only console that's been a runaway success this generation, IMO almost exclusively due to it's dramatically lower launch price. The PS3 demand curve jumps sharply with each progressive price drop as evidenced by the massive increase in sales after the $100 reduction.

July ?
We're almost into Decemeber, that data is old

This has been gone over so many times. Chart first year world wide sales of PS3 vs X360, they are practically tied, with X360 leading NA and PS3 leading in Europe and Japan. X360 has been out two years, PS3 only one. Of course it's got a smaller install base. PS3 launched with a $200 higher MSRP. That price differential is down to $50. The price drop has increased the slack demand. Your first post in this thread was juvenile.

The info is really not that old and I doubt the PS3 has picked up the pace in relation to the WII or the 360. Now I am not on any side of the fence here, or a fanboy of any particular system but that is a huge margin even going by the release dates, the poster who said this gen has already been decided is right on the money. The WII was released on the same month as the PS3 and check out those numbers. My post may have been juvenile but yours are predictable.

The info is really not that old and I doubt the PS3 has picked up the pace in relation to the WII or the 360. Now I am not on any side of the fence here, or a fanboy of any particular system but that is a huge margin even going by the release dates, the poster who said this gen has already been decided is right on the money. The WII was released on the same month as the PS3 and check out those numbers. My post may have been juvenile but yours are predictable.

Data based on figures from 5 months ago is very old when measuring sales of systems, two of which have been on the market less than a year. Sales of the Wii is inconsequential to this thread. It only costs $250. I should hope it's moving more units than X360 or PS3.

Best thing ive heard at work.

Lady: "Hey can i get a wii?"
Me: "Yeah we actually have them over in the video games section"
Lady: "Can you help me pick it out because i dont know what it is.. im just buying one to buy one."

I sighed and then showed it to her.. i convinced her to get zak and wiki though :D

Actually it might not be, just because it is selling so well. They can only sell as many as they make, and their is no extra inventory. They can't take advantage of the larger demand of the Christmas shopping season.

For the other consoles, in addition to what they can manufacture there are plenty of PS3's and 360's already on shelves and in warehouse. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 360 beat the Wii in November, and that both the 360 and PS3 were to outsell the Wii in December.

They aren't making enough Wii's while the other consoles must have close to a million in inventory.

It is November, the sales of all the systems are expected to be high due to early holiday shoppers. I believe next year's number will be much more significant, Sony is still playing catch up here.

Stereophile said:
Relatively of course one month of higher sales won't change Sony's market share.
I'm sure Nintendo and MS are experiencing an increase in sales as well, although I doubt 298% in one month. All 3 consoles will sell a lot this holiday season.
Not to troll or anything but it's easier to triple sales when you're not selling much than otherwise.
If sony sold 1 ps3 yesterday and three today that is a 300% increase.

I do hope that it keeps up for sony though. More competition is always a good thing :)

I'm glad to see the PS3 getting the price reduction it so badly needed (it needs another IMO). But I don't think the price reduction will be enough to catch up to the 360 anytime soon. If you head over to vgchartz.com and check out their sales graphs you can see what others have already said here: the percent increase, while important, doesn't tell the whole story. And the whole story is that the 360 is selling roughly the same number of units as the PS3 and has a 7 million unit lead. Oh, and the Wii is killing them both.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?con...All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39383&end=39411

I think a more interesting sales figures to look at are the European figures for both the PS3 and 360. Sony has strong support for its products in Europe, and if the 360 can take that market from the PS3 the 360 will be the sales winner for this generation (excluding the Wii of course). Of course if the PS3 keeps the European market share lead it may well surpass the 360. Right now the 360 has 1.5 million more units sold in Europe, but the PS3 has a steeper sales slope (it sells more units in a given period of time). This is the real battle ground I think.

Releasing figures like 298% and not giving us exact date ranges means that the November figures are going to be disappointing for the PS3. Look at the difference between this press release and the recent Nintendo one.

Sony: x% increase since y, a% increase during b compared to c.
Nintendo: 350k Wii last week. 300k Wii the week before that.

Sony also felt the need to put out pre-emptive PR before the last NPD and look how that one worked out for them. My prediction for the month will be something like...

Wii: 1.02m
360: 0.70m
PS3: 0.55m

My prediction for the month will be something like...
Wii: 1.02m
360: 0.70m
PS3: 0.55m

That's probably a reasonable guess. However it's definitely a nice improvement from the sales ratio PS3 was earning 6 months ago when I believe Wii was outselling it 6 to 1 and the X360 at least 2 or 3 to 1. Even if it continues to be outsold in absolute numbers it's showing a healthy improvement. It needs to keep up strong numbers past the holidays. I think it should, considering the strength of its upcoming game releases.

X360 has a sizable lead. I don't think anyone thinks Sony can catch MS earlier than a few years from now. Although in the end, I think Sony definitely has a shot at edging out MS in worldwide sales. Especially since it's a forgone conclusion MS will launch their next, next-gen system before Sony. I think the majority of PS2 sales happened once it was below $200. PS3 has a long way to go to reach that point. Christmas '09 at the earliest.

I'd guess we'll see the next MS console in 2010, and the PS4 in 2011-2012.

the funny thing is that there are more and more 360 owneres going out and getting a PS3 as well. Some just for the BR but now that there are a few quality exclusives out there and the price drop has hit a point that a lot of people had said would make the PS3 at least tempting to them the PS3 has a chance to gain some ground. I thnk it will be more telling once PS3 has it's Halo (aka MGS4) then we will see how the console wars will work out.

Has anyone else noticed that Sony has been paying to make commercials for Multiplatform games such as Assassins Creed. At the end of the commercial all I see is the PS3 animation and not the 360 logo. This could sway a lot of people if they did not know that the game was out for both systems

i was one of the 21 people who bought a ps3 last week i guess thats up about 300% from the 7 people the week before (btw its a great console just get me some cool games so i can stop watching movies)

i was one of the 21 people who bought a ps3 last week i guess thats up about 300% from the 7 people the week before (btw its a great console just get me some cool games so i can stop watching movies)

Try Uncharted, MotorStorm, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Tekken 5: DR, SuperStarDust HD and Folklore. :D

(some are at least rent worthy)

Quickly now, go!

I'll be catching up on some of the PS3 games after the holiday season. Folklore was fun and I was playing Ratchet and Clank until I got Mass Effect and Rock Band for the 360. Now the PS3 has been unplugged and I'm delivering it to Rocketpig so he can play Uncharted. The PS3 has some games, but it just isn't enough for me to miss it while it's gone. I just haven't run into any game on the PS3 that just swallowed my soul like Mass Effect did (litterally for a whole day I couldn't pull myself away from my 360 controller).

Some people on here might not agree with this position, but honestly I hope the PS3 continues to struggle for a while. I want Sony to really fight to bring the PS3 features up to par with the 360. I want a better online system, a better interface, and menus that work in game. I want it beaten thoroughly into Sony's head that even if they have the top console in the market one generation, they still need to fight for our business in the next. I view the PS3 as an incomplete product and I want Sony to fill in the missing pieces.

Try Uncharted, MotorStorm, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Tekken 5: DR, SuperStarDust HD and Folklore. :D

(some are at least rent worthy)

Quickly now, go!

iv got R&C and so far its one great game its the type of game i missed for the last few years being souly a pc gamer
tried the demo of heavenly sword and im not a fan
and the demo of uncharted should be done DL now so ill play that on my lunch break today

Has anyone else noticed that Sony has been paying to make commercials for Multiplatform games such as Assassins Creed. At the end of the commercial all I see is the PS3 animation and not the 360 logo. This could sway a lot of people if they did not know that the game was out for both systems

Simpsons game, CoD4, Assassins Creed.

Those are the three I've seen that do that. Then theres one that shows mostly unreleased games like MGS4 and Burnout: Paradise, then some EA sports games.

The latter I found particularly funny, since those are out on every platform, and there was bitching to high heaven from all involved about the frame rate issues on the PS3 versions.

Marketing is a powerful thing.

Then theres one that shows mostly unreleased games like MGS4 and Burnout: Paradise, then some EA sports games.

The latter I found particularly funny, since those are out on every platform, and there was bitching to high heaven from all involved about the frame rate issues on the PS3 versions.

"Sponsoring" game commercials is a good way to help developers sell their product on all consoles. I'm all for it. If someone is uninformed enough to assume it's exclusive, that's on them. ;)

FYI, Burnout Paradise is due in January and the PS3 is the lead platform. COD4 is indistinguishable on either platform. There is clear difference between sloppy porting and genuine co-development.

Orange Box has been getting slagged for frame rate issues in ep2. It's not surprising considering Valve has never programmed anything outside of a dedicated MS/PC/Direct X project. They couldn't be bothered to assure a quality product. Even the X360 OB is weaksauce. Any scabby computer from the last 2 years can exceed 720p 30fps. I see jaw dropping games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted or Ratchet Future. The problem lies with the developer not the hardware. Everyone's reasoning is different but I could care less about cheap ports of games I'd much rather play on PC. 2nd place is the first loser.

EA UK are the ones who ported Orange Box to the PS3. So blame EA for the PS3 version.

I have been waiting since last year to get a new console.

I have a nice big TV, so I want HDMI...kinda rules out the Wii

For the 360, to avoide the red light of death, get the improved cooling and get HDMI leaves me with the 360 Black...its $100 more then the PS3...and the HDDVD is still extra.

PS3 for $399, HDMI and blueray...its $100 more then the Wii and $100 less then the 360 Black...

Honestly, the PS3 is worth it for the blueray alone.

For the haterz! :p

Haterz.gif

PS3 is a better polished console than 360.

360 you get what you pay for.

PS3 you pay for something you don't need.

M$ had better marketing strategy than Sony. For both console have the same features, 360 cost just as much if not more than PS3. But ppl don't realize this :rolleyes:

Back