Scary Supreme Court Quote of the Day

Hmm... if you watch the entire clip he seems to know what it is, but made a joke at the 2 minute mark to emphasize the "generational gap" that impacts how, in general, younger people feel more connected if they're using social media. I'm not scared at all.

But at 1:03 he says 'we tell them that they obviously shouldn't be tweeting about what they are doing, or if they have a website, a lot of it is inadvertent, they may say they're preparing to do this or that, and a discerning person can put two and two together and figure out what their boss is doing....'

So later when he says 'tweeting, whatever that is', he already used it in a sentence earlier on in his answer. Does that mean he REALLY doesn't know what a tweet is or does that mean it was a joke like 'tweeting, ha, like that's a real word'?

After watching the entire clip, I get the sense that the Chief Justice has a general idea of what Twitter is.

It's not a judges job to know and understand all issues, it's their job to listen to two articulate people make an argument and present information on an issue, then side with the one who went to the most expensive college.

It is pretty scary to think that the Supreme Court Justices rule on technology cases all the time...but they still don't know what Twitter is. :eek: The comments come in at the 2:00 mark.

Steve... Judges don't know a lot about a lot of things, but they can still pass down judgments that are fairs based on the facts and arguments presented. It's implausible to have a standard where a judge had to know everything about what they're ruling on.

Steve... Judges don't know a lot about a lot of things, but they can still pass down judgments that are fairs based on the facts and arguments presented. It's implausible to have a standard where a judge had to know everything about what they're ruling on.

No, if you don't know Twitter, you don't know justice!

Watch the entire video. The guy knows what social media and twitter are. He even says at the 1:40 mark that it is a generalization gap and says that neither of the justices have a facebook page or a twit "whatever that is" joke. He understands it but discourages it in the courts so that people do not accidently tweet out the decisions beforehand or anything.

Shoot, 70 years of life and probably some of the most knowledgable people in our country, but they don't know what Twitter is, so I'm scared about their qualifications.

Making excuses is ridiculous. If a judge is going to rule on something, they need to take the time to educate themselves on it to do their job with responsiblity.

I think you dropped the ball on this one. It's pretty evident the man knows what Twitter and social media is. And he says their clerks teach them if they don't.

Its sounds like he knows of it but not about it. He even said they rely on new clerks that come in to explain new things (technology / social media) to bridge the generational gap he was referring to.

While they really shouldn't have to know everything about everything, they should at least be more strongly familiar with emerging technology.

As many above point out watching the entire clip shows he knows what it is, so was it a slow news day or just couldn't resist taking a poke at a justice?

As many above point out watching the entire clip shows he knows what it is, so was it a slow news day or just couldn't resist taking a poke at a justice?

An attempt at posting something controversial to drive a few page views.

This chief justice was put in place by Georgie to server corporate, not human interests. He is an enemy of democracy, but democracy is long dead in America, so they're free to suck up the cash and send it offshore. Good corporate toadies are well compenmsated with cash and power. Just ask John.

This chief justice was put in place by Georgie to server corporate, not human interests. He is an enemy of democracy, but democracy is long dead in America, so they're free to suck up the cash and send it offshore. Good corporate toadies are well compenmsated with cash and power. Just ask John.

We couldn't even get past one page without someone trying to hijack the thread and turn it into an anti-Bush political rant? :rolleyes:

It is pretty scary to think that the Supreme Court Justices rule on technology cases all the time...but they still don't know what Twitter is. :eek: The comments come in at the 2:00 mark.
Did you watch the video you posted al ink to?

At 1:03 he discusses how he briefs incoming clerks on what they can't post to twitter/FB/etc.

The commend at 2:00 is obviously a joke, everyone laughs.

Lighten up. What's sad is a 60+yr old codger sitting in the judges seat has a better sense of humor than you.

This chief justice was put in place by Georgie to server corporate, not human interests. He is an enemy of democracy, but democracy is long dead in America, so they're free to suck up the cash and send it offshore. Good corporate toadies are well compensated with cash and power. Just ask John.
For gawd's sake, I'm a liberal and this is too much for me. :mad:

Social media has jack shit to do with Bush, Republicans, or Conservatives.

Go troll somewhere else.

Honestly, I don't really understand twitter. I don't know what it REALLY is. Is it a messenging service? Networking tool? Advertising medium? So I don't hold it against Roberts, or really any of the Jusitices.
That being said, he clearly understood the idea and implications of Social Media/Networking, status updates and blogs, though his vocabulary on the topic is clearly limited.
I would have loved to hear Scalia get a question like that.

Dear n00bie,
Please leave our forum, and our Country.

Holy fucking hell. At least half of the people never viewed the video, or are just too fucking stupid to realize Steve's posting style for news threads...

WTFV (watch the fucking video) before making an ignorant comment, guys. He KNOWS that twitter is. The statement in question is an obvious joke, in context and in context of the entire video.

Holy fucking hell. At least half of the people never viewed the video, or are just too fucking stupid to realize Steve's posting style for news threads...

i guess im just too fucking stupid to understand then. steves comments did not come across as a joke as far as i can tell. i was just hoping that it was, indeed, a bad joke and that [H] isnt just turning into fox "news". i am one of the most pessimestic people out there when it comes to the way the US govt is run, but watching that didnt really give me anything to criticize, the guy seemed fairly reasonable.

im not so sure if you understand steves posting style.

Two things, he obviously has no clue what Twitter is since he just repeats what the guy asked him: Tweeting. He never once said Twitter. Not a single time.

Secondly, I truly hate that he's the chief justice. Not for real political reasons, just that he was barely experienced when he was put in AND he was extremely young for a judge. I'll likely have to deal with his decisions the rest of my natural life.

Two things, he obviously has no clue what Twitter is since he just repeats what the guy asked him: Tweeting. He never once said Twitter. Not a single time.

Secondly, I truly hate that he's the chief justice. Not for real political reasons, just that he was barely experienced when he was put in AND he was extremely young for a judge. I'll likely have to deal with his decisions the rest of my natural life.

He doesn't make decisions by himself. He's one of a panel of nine. He also argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court.

He's fine.

Then you must really hate the Justice Kagan as she is roughly the same age he was when she was put on the court and he had far more experience then her when they were each selected.

I guess Steve tries to get some variety into the postings and thought this to be a good idea, I somewhat disagree. It tends to bring out politics, and that's not a good topic to raise on a technical site, in my opinion.

i guess im just too fucking stupid to understand then. steves comments did not come across as a joke as far as i can tell. i was just hoping that it was, indeed, a bad joke and that [H] isnt just turning into fox "news". i am one of the most pessimestic people out there when it comes to the way the US govt is run, but watching that didnt really give me anything to criticize, the guy seemed fairly reasonable.

im not so sure if you understand steves posting style.

You can't expect the guy to know everything about which he makes a posting on. As long as he can read the headline and pass it on I think that is enough.

It is pretty scary to think that the the [H] posts articles on technology all the time...but they still don't know how to read. The comments come in on the OP.

:cool:

Jacque Fresco said it best:

"What has more impact on everyone's daily lives? Technology or politicians?"

Sadly, 3/4 of our politicians today are ignorant with the pace of today's technology, so for them to actually mandate policy and emphasize their own opinion is fucking scary in my opinion. I almost feel it should be a requirement that every elected official should be educated with the internet, hardware, and software so that they can at least make a better informed opinion about something.

Either that, or it will make them more cynical....

Couldn't resist on posting an article that generates traffic. This post will be deleted in....

He seems like he has a fundamental grasp of the direction technology is going and is comfortable with the fact that he wont be able to keep up. I like his comment about how the people who work for him understand the stuff more than he does and that they are able to explain it to him. That's what a good decision maker does. They surround themselves with people who know what's going on and who are able to communicate that extremely well.

Back