Scanline Sync - RTSS 7.2.0 adds framerate limiting mode for "lowest possible VSYNC ON input lag"

Armenius

Extremely [H]
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4173

This was actually added to the beta back in May on the suggestion of BlurBusters. What it does is synchronize and cap the framerate using up to two scanline indices. One of the benefits is that you can push the scanline(s) off of the screen so that you essentially can get a tear free experience on a static refresh rate monitor. Some are calling this "Freesync Lite." You can get the benefit of a tear free experience paired with low input lag.

From the patch notes:
Added alternate framerate limiting mode, based on synchronization with display rasterizer position. Now you may synchronize the framerate to up to two independent scanline indices per refresh interval. Combining with power user configurable scanline wait timeout and graphics pipeline flushing options, those settings provide experienced users vendor agnostic ultra low input lag adaptive VSync, half VSync or double VSync functionality on any hardware.

I just heard about this from Reddit today (well, I noticed it in the RTSS change log but I didn't know what it meant) and I'm surprised there wasn't much discussion here as it's been out for a bit.

At first it sounded like a poor man's G-Sync/FreeSync, but now I'm not sure. It seems like it's more like Nvidia Fast-Sync or AMD Enhanced-Sync but with a better method.

This will probably be great for e-sports games, where you want to lowest lag but want to remove the tearing.

But you still want to be maintaining at least your refresh rate in fps (or ideally much more), so it won't be as useful on newer or demanding games.

Maybe I will give it a shot though just to see how it looks. Always nice to have another trick in the bag.

Hmm I tried it with POE2 Deadfire but it doesn't seem any different than vsync. Still stutters when dropping below 60 fps, just like vsync. But the good thing I can say is it stutters about the same as vsync, whereas fastsync is an absolute incomparable stutterfest when < 60fps.

This is interesting- would actually like to try on my ultrabook for League, where I have the in-game frame limiter set to 60 to limit overheating and potential throttling, and the tearing is pretty jarring.

Back