Scandisk

John S

n00b
Every time my PC turns on, I see the following: to skip check disk, hit any key in the next 8 secs then scan disk D:

How do I stop this issue from happening.

Yup, what ^^ Farva said, at the command prompt you will probably do a "chkdsk D: /f" (without the " " of course), that should usually be enough switches to run. If it comes back and says it fixed any issues/errors you might run it a 2nd time until it no longer says it fixed any errors.

Yup, what ^^ Farva said, at the command prompt you will probably do a "chkdsk D: /f" (without the " " of course), that should usually be enough switches to run. If it comes back and says it fixed any issues/errors you might run it a 2nd time until it no longer says it fixed any errors.

Same results.

What kind of drive is this D:? You might need to do a /r on that chkdsk to do a bad sector check. Do you have SMART monitoring on in the BIOS? You might need to consider running any manufacturer diagnostics on the drive, although not all manufacturers have a diag tool anymore. (Seagate and WD do for sure)

What kind of drive is this D:? You might need to do a /r on that chkdsk to do a bad sector check. Do you have SMART monitoring on in the BIOS? You might need to consider running any manufacturer diagnostics on the drive, although not all manufacturers have a diag tool anymore. (Seagate and WD do for sure)

D: was a flash drive when it happened. I have tried various combinations of the chkdsk command and tried them with the flash drive and nothing seems to work :(

So for people who have this same issue in the future and they can search for it, what did you type to fix your issue?

If chkdsk keeps coming up there could actually be some issue with the drive it's attempting to check and fix, but yes it's possible (obviously) to disable that chkdsk pass on a boot. The issue is that if a problem does actually develop chkdsk might not be able to catch it if you disable that autocheck feature, but it's always up to the end user.

I wouldn't be simply disabling this check and believing 'job done'.

This happens when Windows flags the drive/partition as 'dirty', there's always a reason why Windows flags a drive/partition as dirty. I'd be doing SMART tests and probably, at minimum, cloning the drive as a precaution.

I wouldn't be simply disabling this check and believing 'job done'.

This happens when Windows flags the drive/partition as 'dirty', there's always a reason why Windows flags a drive/partition as dirty. I'd be doing SMART tests and probably, at minimum, cloning the drive as a precaution.
You may not have worked on enough windows systems ;) backups never hurt however.

I work on plenty of Windows systems. Drive flagged as dirty = Failing drive. Same with Linux.

You clearly have done any overclocking on systems. Backups never hurt. (Flagging a drive as dirty does not equate to a failing drive, most of the time. :D )

You clearly have done any overclocking on systems. Backups never hurt. (Flagging a drive as dirty does not equate to a failing drive, most of the time. :D )

I must be better at overclocking than yourself, as I've never suffered drive corruption to the point of a drive being flagged as dirty since the days of AGP/PCI buses and the BX chipset. :rolleyes:

Back