Scammers Mimic Elon Musk on High Profile Twitter Accounts

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a BBC report, scammers who hacked their way into several high profile Twitter accounts used Musk's likeness to scam people out of some Bitcoin. High profile accounts like Matlan, Pathe UK, and Pantheon Books had their handles and profile images changed to resemble Elon Musk or SpaceX, and the accounts' many followers were directed to a site that asked for 0.1 BTC, with a promise that they would receive 10 bitcoin (which, as of this moment, would be worth over $60,000). The Telegraph seems to think the scammers got away with about 150,000 USD. This isn't the first Elon Musk Twitter scam, and it likely won't be the last.

An early form of the scam was first spotted in March when accounts appeared simply using Mr Musk's name and likeness to ask for Bitcoin. It became so frequent on the social network that the Tesla chief was briefly blocked from his own Twitter account after he parodied the scam by sending a tweet asking: "Wanna buy some Bitcoin?". Now the scam has become more nuanced as it uses Twitter's own verification to make it more convincing. A Twitter spokesperson told the BBC that the company has "substantially improved how we tackle crypto-currency scams on the platform". "In recent weeks, user impressions have fallen by a multiple of 10 as we continue to invest in more proactive tools to detect spammy and malicious activity."

The same idiots who think they can get something for almost nothing? :bigtears:

soon-parted-motivational-inspirational-poster-representing-proverb-sayings-simple-human-50879947.jpg

I would like to think anybody who understands and/or uses bitcoin wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for this sort of shit. It seems I have again underestimated the stupidity of people.

I am never surprised as I lost faith in others intelligence a long long time ago....

turns out blue checkmarks mean fuck all.

surprise!
Yeah, this has little to do with a check mark, if Elon met me on the street and asked for 6 grand but he would give me 60 grand later I wouldn't do that either. People basically fell for one of the Nigerian email scams except instead of some rich guy who inherited a bunch of money its some rich guy who sold off a company

Back