scalpers starting to return cards LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about Nvidia's stated MSRP.

The board parters are scalping as well at this point, taking advantage of the shortage to raise prices.

It's Nvidias stated MSRP or nothing at all.

If Nvidia says that a new GPU is launching at $699, I'm not paying a cent over $699
You only buy FE cards? Where's the incentive to develop better cooling? What about hybrid models - or ones with water blocks?

You only buy FE cards? Where's the incentive to develop better cooling? What about hybrid models - or ones with water blocks?

I'm open to buying boards from other manufacturers...

At Nvidias MSRP. Heck, the FE cards used to be the more expensive ones, priced $100 over the board parters models.

Honestly, first thing I am going to do is tear off the Christmas tree disco-light bearing heatsinks and put on a water block anyway, so honestly, the less the board partners do with custom coolers and altered board layouts, the better. That way I have an easier time finding a water block that will fit, and don't have to pay inflated prices for something I don't need.

That said, I was open to their designs in the past. It's really only in this generation that the board partners have seriously taken advantage of the shortage to up their pricing, selling boards for several hundred over Nvidias stated price.

Expectation:
- Board partners base model = $100 less than FE
- Board partners top model = $50 to $100 above FE

Anything above that is just trying to take advantage of the supply constriction to rip off the consumer.

I'm talking about Nvidia's stated MSRP.

The board parters are scalping as well at this point, taking advantage of the shortage to raise prices.

It's Nvidias stated MSRP or nothing at all.

If Nvidia says that a new GPU is launching at $699, I'm not paying a cent over $699
Zarathustra[H] The issue is AIB's have bills to cover and profits margins to hit as well and if NVIDIA is shorting them on supply also, they need to charge more for less. There is also the shipping costs that have gone through the roof to get your products around the world.

Zarathustra[H] The issue is AIB's have bills to cover and profits margins to hit as well and if NVIDIA is shorting them on supply also, they need to charge more for less. There is also the shipping costs that have gone through the roof to get your products around the world.
I am with Z on this. It is up to NVIDIA to set a realistic MSRP based on BOM and an understanding of supplier margin. Couple this with all the noise before launch about how the FE coolers we very complex and exotic, and I do not think the AIBs are doing anything more than gouging, or NVIDIA is doing nothing more than setting an unrealistic launch MSRP to look good on day 1 reviews. Just seems that there is no well defensible reason to have such a large disparity between the FE and AIB prices.

I'm open to buying boards from other manufacturers...

At Nvidias MSRP. Heck, the FE cards used to be the more expensive ones, priced $100 over the board parters models.

Honestly, first thing I am going to do is tear off the Christmas tree disco-light bearing heatsinks and put on a water block anyway, so honestly, the less the board partners do with custom coolers and altered board layouts, the better. That way I have an easier time finding a water block that will fit, and don't have to pay inflated prices for something I don't need.

That said, I was open to their designs in the past. It's really only in this generation that the board partners have seriously taken advantage of the shortage to up their pricing, selling boards for several hundred over Nvidias stated price.

Expectation:
- Board partners base model = $100 less than FE
- Board partners top model = $50 to $100 above FE

Anything above that is just trying to take advantage of the supply constriction to rip off the consumer.
I can respect that, although I think you're a bit nuts :p Long ago decided that unless I had no choice, I wasn't voiding warranties by pulling off HSFs from high-end graphics cards - I'm waiting for the Hydro Copper to drop myself, if it ever does, with the XC3 Ultra I have now as a hold-over. I see the value in what the AIBs do though - better warranty, quieter, step up programs, etc.

I paid over base MSRP for my 1080, because I wanted the Aorus windforce system (quieter, cooler, better overclocks stock) - did the same for my EVGA 780 as well (better cooling, quieter). Did the same for the 3080 for that reason too - quieter, fans not always running, etc. And the 3070. There's value in what they do - previously, I thought hte FE cards were more of a "limited edition" than the reference design they've become today, which is why they carried extra cost. My 5700XT is a Red Devil, the 480/580 I had before were MSI and something else (dual-fan instead of blower)... but I also only do open loop in one system.

Heck, I intentionally DON'T buy FE cards - because I don't want the extra noise (only FE I have is a 2080TI hold-over I moved to my HTPC) - the FE design doesn't hold any real value to me.

I am with Z on this. It is up to NVIDIA to set a realistic MSRP based on BOM and an understanding of supplier margin. Couple this with all the noise before launch about how the FE coolers we very complex and exotic, and I do not think the AIBs are doing anything more than gouging, or NVIDIA is doing nothing more than setting an unrealistic launch MSRP to look good on day 1 reviews. Just seems that there is no well defensible reason to have such a large disparity between the FE and AIB prices.
One thing I'd point - AMD AIB/Reference designs are identical. No one is selling an FE ('reference') card for Ampere but Nvidia - they all had to come up with their own cooling/etc design this time, as there wasn't a "base" card for them to sell otherwise. Previously, I want to say that the reference cards (minus Turing, which I didn't really pay attention to) were available from the AIBs as WELL as from Nvidia:

1606932120745.png

But they don't do that now, for whatever reason - you HAVE to buy custom cooling from an AIB partner now. Which means they have to design/test/etc all of that, and it adds cost - cost Nvidia already realized and built into the price of the chip, most likely, to amortize out that cost across their product.

I can respect that, although I think you're a bit nuts :p Long ago decided that unless I had no choice, I wasn't voiding warranties by pulling off HSFs from high-end graphics cards - I'm waiting for the Hydro Copper to drop myself, if it ever does, with the XC3 Ultra I have now as a hold-over. I see the value in what the AIBs do though - better warranty, quieter, step up programs, etc.

I paid over base MSRP for my 1080, because I wanted the Aorus windforce system (quieter, cooler, better overclocks stock) - did the same for my EVGA 780 as well (better cooling, quieter). Did the same for the 3080 for that reason too - quieter, fans not always running, etc. And the 3070. There's value in what they do - previously, I thought hte FE cards were more of a "limited edition" than the reference design they've become today, which is why they carried extra cost. My 5700XT is a Red Devil, the 480/580 I had before were MSI and something else (dual-fan instead of blower)... but I also only do open loop in one system.

Heck, I intentionally DON'T buy FE cards - because I don't want the extra noise (only FE I have is a 2080TI hold-over I moved to my HTPC) - the FE design doesn't hold any real value to me.

I have interest in FE cars largely because Nvidia tends to keep the best binned chips for themselves, so once you remove the cooler and replace it with something better, you should be able to get better clocks with them.

As far as the warranty goes, I have never needed to claim warranty on a GPU like this, but it is unclear if it is legal for manufacturers to reject warranty claims based on just removing the cooler, if they cannot conclusively point to something else the owner did to damage the GPU in the process, based on the Moss Magnuson act.

I have interest in FE cars largely because Nvidia tends to keep the best binned chips for themselves, so once you remove the cooler and replace it with something better, you should be able to get better clocks with them.

As far as the warranty goes, I have never needed to claim warranty on a GPU like this, but it is unclear if it is legal for manufacturers to reject warranty claims based on just removing the cooler, if they cannot conclusively point to something else the owner did to damage the GPU in the process, based on the Moss Magnuson act.
Totally agree on the warranty, I just don't feel like wasting the time dealing with it (or putting the original cooler back on when I'm done, since I tend to pass cards down amongst the family). Plus, Magnuson Moss may protect you - but you still have to argue it, and that takes time and money that I don't feel like spending - Normally I just buy another card. If your goal is to strip the card, have at it - I'd rather spend the extra money for a cooler I'd want to upgrade anyway, and keep the warranty easy on it too.

According to GN Nvidia is not leaving much meat on the bones for AIBs. They spoke to a few as well as others in the industry. They made a video on this topic.

It would be a curious experiment, maybe many people would not when asked in that format up the price over MSRP that much, opening the door to scalper and after the day the auction is over and that there is zero card anymore to be found, now they will be ready to up the price.

Maybe it would require an active updated what price you need to put to get one that tell you if your maximum price was not enough.
Possibly, but the margins on scalping may be significantly lowered even in that case

Luckily I've been able to get a 3080, and two 3070's for my kids, all at Microcenter, and no camping out at night LOL I am just persistent going to MC every few days for a month and if you get there by noon, you have a good chance of finding the card you want on delivery days. But I went there 3 or 4 days a week for a whole month, to get what I wanted. No scalping by me, no way, on principle I wouldn't do that, these all went into our gaming rigs. It probably took 15 trips to Microcenter to get my cards.

I was there last week on a Wednesday morning, around 11:00am, they had a bunch of 3070's ( couple dozen ), a few 3080's ( less than 5 ) and a good amount of 3090's that weren't selling so fast per the sales guy, but by the end of the night everything was sold out per the guy I've gotten to know there, except the last few 3090's. Which are like $1,500+

But my point, I still check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist just to see prices on cards, and in my area, 3090's are selling for $2500 to $3000 !!!!! And 3080's still in the $1,300 range, and 3070's for like $750 to $800, which is insane. I was able to score my kids 3070's for $539 at Microcenter. F these scalper scum.

All my trips to MC I never once saw the new AMD 6800XT stock, they seem to only get a handful in every week, and they gone immediately.

So yes, if you live near a Microcenter you can get a new RTX 3000 card if you are willing to go a bunch of times in the morning, might take a couple weeks, but you'll get one for sure.

But at this point, we're only a month or so away from the RTX 3080 Ti, with 20GB RAM, and supposed to be very close in performance to the RTX 3090, I'd just wait for that., it's supposed to cost retail $899 or so. And then AMD 6900XT for $999 with RTX 3090 matching performance due out next week.

And everything I read says computer parts will be fully stocked and easy to buy come Feb / March, which is only a few months out.

But at this point, we're only a month or so away from the RTX 3080 Ti, with 20GB RAM, and supposed to be very close in performance to the RTX 3090, I'd just wait for that., it's supposed to cost retail $899 or so. And then AMD 6900XT for $999 with RTX 3090 matching performance due out next week.

And everything I read says computer parts will be fully stocked and easy to buy come Feb / March, which is only a few months out.
I'm sorry but when was the meeting between all the scalpers where they discussed stopping around Feb / March? The only thing that leads to a Feb / March window is that the return windows will start to close on scalper's unsold stock. Also 3080 ti will be fresh meat for the scalpers, so expect the first 90 days of that release to be no different than what we have now.

I'm sorry but when was the meeting between all the scalpers where they discussed stopping around Feb / March? The only thing that leads to a Feb / March window is that the return windows will start to close on scalper's unsold stock. Also 3080 ti will be fresh meat for the scalpers, so expect the first 90 days of that release to be no different than what we have now.

I've read a lot of sites reporting last month, with various industry insiders saying they expect computer parts supply to finally be in stock and readily available by end of 1st Qtr 2021 / early 2nd Qtr.

Saying the pandemic slowed down manufacturing and supply issues, but if the vaccine rolls out early next year, and the pandemic starts easing up by Spring, everyone expects parts and supply to ramp up big time.

nVidia made some comment they need until like Jan / Feb for production be back to normal and pumping out hardware to meet demand. And AMD CEO made a smiliar comment, saying by end of 1st Qtr she expects no more shortages.

Well with Cyberpunk so close to release I decided to bite the bullet and order a Saffire Pulse 5700xt off newegg. It's not what I wanted and is a tad slower then the 2070 super I sold three months ago but at least I'll have something to game with until all this settles down. Then I can gift it to nephew who is currently using a 1050ti.

But at this point, we're only a month or so away from the RTX 3080 Ti, with 20GB RAM, and supposed to be very close in performance to the RTX 3090, I'd just wait for that., it's supposed to cost retail $899 or so.
3080Ti, next month, for $899. That's quite an imagination.

They still made a killing for the past couple months. It is mostly the 3090s. The bottom has come out on those since the value wasn't there even at msrp. For get it when people were asking for $1000+.
Top bid to a scalper is 50% of list for "new unopened". Top bid to a user that tests everything to talk like an expert, then tries to sell it as "open box" or "used like new" is $1. "ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT SCALPING" "JUST SAY NO"

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-ti-release-date-price-specs-performance-4108885

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-to-launch-in-january-2021

RTX 3080 Ti due out in January 2021, with performance set to be in-between the 3080 and 3090, it will basically be a RTX 3085, and the cost will be $999.
Yep, I'm aware of what the rumor sites are spewing. The problem is these forum threads get dumbed down even further when those statements are tossed around like they're fact.

Last edited:
And you think you can get one?

Not the first day it comes out, no. But within a few weeks or month later, yes I think so.

My local Microcenter has RTX 3090's in stock quite often, those high priced cards aren't selling out fast like the 3070's and 3080's.

Like I said before, if your persistent, and have a local MC near you, and are willing to go there 3 or 4 days a week for a month, you will absolutely get your card.

Waited yet again in front of Microcenter... nothing in stock again.

I think 6800xt are the stuff of lore and myth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back